Foresthill Divide Loop Trail

Foresthill Divide Loop Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Foresthill, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trailhead is 3.7 miles from the center of the Foresthill Bridge on the Auburn/Foresthill Road. Google Earth wrongly labels the main "Foresthill Divide Trailhead"; it is really at 3856'33.24"N/12058'57.14"W This is the main trailhead with mile-marker zero.

Great hike! Some elevation changes that get your heart going, but nothing too crazy. Offers ample opportunity for rest between hills. Everything is brown now, but still lovely and serene. This is a shared trail with bikers, so be aware!

Awesome first time hiking!

Great hike if you're looking to improve stamina or simply get some miles under your belt. But, as others have said... its a kinda boring hike, especially this time of year - the wildflowers have already had their time, you see the same trees, poison oak, etc. Hearing the somewhat-busy road during several points of the hike was less than desirable but overall a nice hike.

Hiked. The trail is very clear and well maintained, but it's a boring hike with very little. scenery. A good portion of it has tree cover, but you'll see the same trail and trees for 11 miles. The trail also cross the road twice, and follows the road close enough to see and hear cars for a section of it. Given how well maintained it is you'll need to keep an eye and ear out for mountain bikers as well. It makes a good trail to get a workout, but there a plenty of other good trails if you're trying to find a more secluded hike in auburn/foresthill. I'd recommend one of the longer American Canyon Creek Falls routes with some additional time along the rive for a comparable trail

This is a really well maintained and easy to follow trail definitely more moderate than hard (no steep inclines, no scrambling over rocks, no stream crossings). More than anything it's just long. Great for spring when everything is lush and green and the wildflowers are blooming. But don't expect too many grand views or sweeping panoramas. This trail could have those things, but most of the time the great potential views are obstructed by dense vegetation so it's a little frustrating to walk the trial and know that great views are there, but just out of reach. This trail also weaves its way around the highway so there's long stretches of the trail where you'll be hearing highway noise. And speaking of the highway, this isn't totally apparent from just looking at the overview map, but you'll have to cross the highway (like actually run across the road dodging cars Frogger style) TWICE in order to complete the full loop. So if you're looking for nature immersion or to get away from it all this might not be the trail for you. Basically, do this trail of you want the exercise of a long solid day hike and don't mind running across highways or hearing cars or not having too many views. If you're looking for sightseeing or to be one with nature this ain't it.

Great trail! Good for a walk or a run. The trail is well groomed. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. A few muddy spots, but nothing crazy. I wouldn't call this a "hard" hike. There is some elevation change, but it's slow and gradual. The most difficult part would be the length. Watch out for bikers.

I highly enjoyed this trail. I highly recommend doing this trail in the spring as the wildflowers are abundant and the water is running. Nice views, and its a great interval workout. See my full review and hike here!

Fun loop with lots of good views. It's a shared trail so you do have to deal with some downhill bikers. Seemed to drag on a bit at the end. We went counterclockwise on the trail. At Divers rest, about halfway, the trail was hard to pickup.

This is a fantastic trail run. Great single track pretty much the whole way. No major water crossings and the trail stays relatively dry even when it rains (good drainage) There are great hills that gradually increase (no extreme inclines/declines) but the hills are still challenging. My only negative is bike traffic.

This is a perfect Springtime hike - everything is green, there's water trickling in the streams and the flowers are abloom. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much in the heat and dull foliage of summer. Beware - poison oak is prolifically scattered throughout the entirety of the hike. The well maintained trail winds through lovely sections of manzanita, oaks and ferns with the occasional tree-filtered panorama and periodic sections of open meadow. There were several mountain bikers out, but everyone encountered was very courteous. There are sections of this trail that are in close proximity to a fairly heavily trafficked road. The noise is a bit of a distraction from the beauty, but I wouldn't skip the hike because of it.

Don't forget your parks pass or be prepared to pay the $10 day use fee.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Liked the trail .

Thursday, March 16, 2017

great trail, beautiful scenery. crosses foresthill road a couple times though.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Loved this trail! It was nice to get out after several weeks of rain.. and the trail was beautifully kept. It's a great balance of hills, flat, and downhill terrain so it can work for all ages.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Great 11 miler. Beautiful

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

go clockwise and you'll appreciate it. it has some very steep inclines. county vector control was out while we were hiking and showed us why you should put on deet before hiking. their is high probability of lime disease ticks. this is always a risk.
this is a good trail and some decent views. a great workout.

Monday, March 21, 2016

The trail was great!!! The longest hike I've done by far but not too difficult. The scenery was so pretty and the smells of all the different flowers was wonderful. There were more bikers than hikers...I'd like to try that next time. It was very helpful to have the gps tracking with the map...there were a couple times where I wasn't 100% certain which way to go and it really came in handy. I will be doing this trail again!

Monday, February 22, 2016

Lovely! I would go clockwise. We went counter clockwise and the climbs at the end were rough. This trail goes through pine ridges, oak meadows, and seasonal creeks. The meadows are beautiful and green this time of year. The poison oak was low, and the recent rain kept the dust down. A beautiful hike in the foothills.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Great workout good trail markers one of the better trails in the canyon , all the bikers and runners sharing the trail were friendly . I think going counter-clockwise is key for hiking

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Not great for hiking. Best for mountain biking.

Thursday, February 04, 2016

Well maintained trail. We went right after a week of rain and there was a lot of mud and water running across the trail. All in all it was a good hike.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Great trail. Things were marked well except the left turn I was supposed to take.I passed it up and and had to back track. I should have looked at the GPS sooner. Only added 3 miles to the trip.
If you stop seeing mile markers or you see great view of the river far below, you've passed your turn.
We'll do it again before it gets warm out.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Some things I noticed:
The trail is bike friendly; if you plan to bike try not to go within a few days of rain because there will be LOTS of mud. The trail is ideal for photography. Even my amateur photos taken on my phone turned out nice.

There was ice to crunch (crunch crunch crunch)!!! Plus, the scenery was like that at Avery's Pond, so if you liked that trail you'll probably like this one too. The trail did have stretches of sunlight, which really helped with the cold.

It was cold. Really cold. In fact, it was below freezing (I came in winter). Also, it was extremely muddy.

Slipping on mud or ice is a real danger in winter. Also, beware of the many rocks. It could hurt a lot if you stumble and fall like I did.

Things to bring in winter:
Multiple jackets
Beanie or something similar
A backpack to put it all in

Thursday, January 15, 2015

This is a loop trail in the sense that it straddles Foresthill Road and you cross the road twice. We went counter clock wise from the East trail head. There were quite a few mountain bikers on the trail. It opens up in the South/Western quadrant with some nice views of the Middle Fork of the American River. We were expecting a 8.5 mile loop (based on the trail guide) and so it dragged towards the end, because this trail is at least 11 miles.

See below the link to the ASRA trail guide:

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Great trail, really good workout. It felt like it was uphill all the way around the loop. I started at the parking lot at the West Trailhead and went clockwise when I got to the loop part of the trail. I had read that most of the mountain bikers go counter-clockwise so I thought clockwise would be better so I would see the majority of the bikers coming at me. Worked out perfectly. I met many bikers coming at me and only one that came up behind me. The trail is marked every mile along the trail. If going counterclockwise on the loop the markers are in ascending order 1 to 11 (close to the western parking). If you start at the Eastern Trailhead parking lot, you are starting in the near middle of the loop so your total mileage would be less than the 11.3 miles.

The trail is narrow in many spots but it was no issue meeting bikers. Most of the trail is shaded with only a few sections getting full sunshine. There is a picnic table and restrooms at the Eastern Trailhead if you want to stop and take a break but if you started there then the only other place to stop for facilities is on Drivers Flat road at the entrance to the Ruck-A-Chucky area. The trail winds through a lot of diverse terrain that changes often and a lot of elevation change so you have to be careful and keep your wits about you as you hike along.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Would have been five stars, but it isn't family friendly. Some portions of the trail had TONS of poison oak. Not to mention the rattle snake my son narrowly avoided before I yanked him back from striking distance, and the curious tick who mysteriously found it's way onto his backpack.

On the plus side, the scenery was beautiful and there were long stretches of shade to help keep us cool.

Due to the dangers mentioned above, I do not recommend this trail for any novice.

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Nice trail, my dog really enjoyed the hike. There was a lot more bike traffic than I expected, which was minor annoyance. The trail isn't very wide so I would end up in the bushes any time a biker came through. Overall very nice and enjoyable.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cool overlook of Lake Clementine, overall nice trail!

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Very fun ride...I'd recommend to any rider except the earliest beginner. Paying $10 for a day-use fee SUCKS!
Google Earth wrongly labels the main "Foresthill Divide Trailhead" it is really at 38°56'33.24"N/120°58'57.14"W

Sunday, July 28, 2013

This is one of my favorite trail runs because of the condition of the trail, local scenery, and there are a few nice vistas. You won't feel too remote because it gets a lot of use and does not stray too far from the road. Most MTBs ride it counter clockwise, so I like to run it clockwise from the west trailhead. It might get a little confusing around drivers flat and past it for a mile, so study the map. The actual loop is closer to 10 miles, about 11 if you add the spur from the west trailhead. Also consider starting at the connector trail and you can stretch it to almost 17 miles.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Started from the east trailhead and went counterclockwise. The first half was heavily wooded, which was good because there was a lot of shade on a very warm day. Once we crossed Foresthill Road, the trail was very exposed the majority of the time, so lots of sun. The distance varies depending on which website you look at. Some tag it at 8.2 miles without any of the extra spurs, including the extra 0.5 miles from the west trailhead. We got 9.6 miles and it took about two hours with over 1,600 feet elevation gain. The scenery is beautiful but runners/hikers need to be aware of mountain bikers. Overall a very beautiful trail, but next time I will run counterclockwise from the west trailhead and save the more scenic parts for the second half of my run.