Learn more

Foresthill Divide Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(289)
Auburn State Recreation Area

Foresthill Divide Loop Trail is a 10.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Foresthill, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,551 feet Route Type: Loop

The trailhead is 3.7 miles from the center of the Foresthill Bridge on the Auburn/Foresthill Road. Google Earth wrongly labels the main "Foresthill Divide Trailhead"; it is really at 3856'33.24"N/12058'57.14"W This is the main trailhead with mile-marker zero.

this is a fun trail for pro bikers

Loved this scenic trail! Lots of bikers when I went but the majority of them were polite

Clear Trail but majority uphill if you start on the North side of Foresthill Rd. Plus we were the only Riders going that direction! Last time we started on the South Side & it’s significantly more Fun! With the late rains the bushes are starting to impede the trail but they’re still green so they just bounce off your legs. GREAT GREAT TRAIL.

fee

There are multiple entrances along the road, they are fairly obvious once you drive by. There are marked fee stations and I did see the Ranger checking windshields. The trail is absolutely a blast. It's a nice mix of up/down, flowy sections to pick up speed and technical stuff sprinkled in. I rode the trail clock-wise but noticed more riders were going CCW so I think you can do either (I will try CCW next time). The path is very well marked which alone makes the $10 fee worth it in my opinion (if you are local the annual is $45 I believe). Hope this helps you MTB'ers now go out there and enjoy! :D

My favorite local trail near my Auburn mansion. Been riding here since the 60's

Great trail! My second time doing it and it was better than the first. Crossing the road twice is a little sketchy but other than that it was awesome.

fee

Sorry I left it on pause so it recorded the drive home

Nice little loop. The old Foresthill rd did not seem to pop out on Forest Hill rd like the map.

There is a LOT of poison oak along side of the trail but not actually on the trail but be careful to not brush up against it. It was a great hike. Lots of up and down. Lots of shade. Mtn Bikers use this trail too. Ran into probably a dozen. Pit toilets at TH but also along the way.

fee

I don’t particularly like the parking fee of $10, but it allows the Rec Area to be well maintained. I found the trail to be quite good. The trail was a touch muddy under the trees but not enough to be a problem. We hiked from the eastern trailhead counter-clockwise which seemed to be the better option?!? A bit of a warning for hikers, always keep sensitive to the sounds of mountain bikes coming from your front or back. Then move off the trail ASAP and let them pass. The front rider will frequently tell you how many are coming. The bikes aren’t a problem, just be aware. For lunch we took a short 0.7 mile branch to view the valley south of the loop. Not as much viewing available as I wanted, but a great view to the east valley and river. You can just see the rapids. Very nice. Gettin across the road at the end of the trail, to get back to your car, is a bit treacherous as the cars drive fast around the corner and there isn’t much space to see them coming in either direction. Then run when clear.

Super easy and fast MTB trail, nothing too technical.

Mountain bike

Good trail. Mostly used for biking but we were able to walk with our two dogs with minimal stops to let bikes by.

This was a nice shaded trail. Hiked this with a friend on a Monday afternoon and we had the trail nearly to ourselves. We only saw two mountain bikers, one of which was repairing a flat. There were a lot of annoying gnats that swarmed our faces for most of the hike. Bug spray did not keep them at bay. 11 miles and 1,500 feet of elevation gain. September 9, 2019.

Trail is heavily used by mountain bikers, hikers should be cautious and vigilant to passing cyclists especially on the downhill sections.

Overall it is moderately challenging. Some uphill with a bit of Rocky terrain. Though best part is the single track trail cutting across the fire road towards the back. Good flowy trail with a little bit of technicalities

Started early and there was plenty of shade as it got pretty warm. Good trainer watch out for the mountain bikers they cook on this trail

All you need is a good pair of trail shoes, not hiking boots. Did not see any bears and I was there from 9am-2pm. All I saw was a deer, a squirrel and butterflies. Trail was shaded off and on. Mostly mountain bikers on the trail. Mostly views of trees and meadows. I went through 1 1/2 liters of water, so I’d highly suggest a hiking pack with a water reservoir. I had to cross three highways during the whole loop, so if you don’t mind that then this is a good trail. It’s also 11 miles, not 10.7. Mosquitos were hardly present and I just went on July 7, 2019.

Tue Jun 18 2019

My oldest son is an avid hiker and took us hiking on the trail. It’s a moderate trail with lots of uphill/downhill terrain and beautiful views of the foothills and valley below. Some of the hills have a lot of loose dirt/rock so it can be a little slippery on the steeper uphill climbs - Same with the down hill. Some say you’re fine hiking in old tennis shoes but I would suggest wearing a pair of good hiking boots that support your ankle, so you don’t roll it on the downhills with loose rocks. We only got to compete about half the trail as the access trails to the river below were unfortunately closed for some reason and many of the side trails were blocked off due to “renovation”. However, it was a great hike and I had a wonderful Fathers Day hiking there with my family. We would definitely like to go back when they open back up access to the river.

Thu Jun 06 2019

Good trail, some short steep uphills followed by down hill, very fun loop recommend ,not the most Scenic but fun

Mon May 13 2019

It was a good trail to take once.

Sat May 11 2019

Riding through various ecosystems you’d see across the US and world. Beautiful views around every corner and climb. Great workout and great little kid bmx memories rushing in!

Fri May 10 2019

Practice backpack hike with grandson. A hot day but flowers in bloom. Quite hilly. No bikes today.

Sat May 04 2019

Great hike, I will recommend to take a left loop because to upcoming traffic and easy to pass by

Sun Mar 31 2019

Beautiful trail and fun hike. Only reason to take a star off is that trail is small and bikes take priority over hikers space wise. But all bikers were responsible and respectful entire trip! highly recommend!