Fonts Point OHV Trail

Fonts Point OHV Trail is a 7.9 mile out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and off road driving and is best used from November until March.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 547 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

A must-see. Easy, short sand wash that ends overlooking badlands. View is spectacular, especially at sunset. Wouldn't recommend this for 2wd vehicles as it's very easy to get bogged down in the soft sand, however, some people do take them.

off road driving

Best sunset in the desert by far

You can drive right up to this point. We did it in a Jeep no problem! (You have to drive in very light sand) it’s totally fine with a four wheel drive vehicle. The view is SOOOO worth it. Go see the sun rise or set there! Both are spectacular.

off road driving

Whoa, went here for sunset on Memorial weekend. Definitely worth the views! Make sure to look all around, not just one direction. You can see everything, and with the sunset, AMAZING. We drove in in a 4Runner and got there with ease. We did see others in a Prius/sedans and seemed to have made it fine. But it was dusty and very windy. So if you are hiking, maybe take some protective gear. Many cars going in and out as well.

off road driving

Very easy drive with a great view for either Sunrise or Sunset time! I got there little bit late and didn’t catch the sunlight in the valley but still it was spectacular with the badlands.

off road driving

We drove rather than hike. The hike would probably be easy as the road it mostly flat and not too sandy. Whether you drive or hike - the view is worth it! We went for sunrise and it was beautiful. Saw several people camping on the route out and at the vista point.

off road driving

We did NOT hike this trail, but instead drove up it. We didn't see any hikers, but it would be an easy hike unless dealing with dust made by cars. The road is sandy and dry, but we made it in our SUV. We only saw one sedan-type car and it didn't look like they were having fun!! View was worth it. Get there maybe 40-50 mins before actual sunset as we missed it arriving at the actual time.

Easy drive to the point. Detoured to thimble trail down into Short Wash, took it all the way to ocatillo wells. 4 wheel high deep sand in some spots very fun.

Would not recommend for a low clearance car. If you hike to the point from main road it’s a decent hike however... you will get dusty from passing vehicles. My 4x4 TRD OR did just fine in 2wd no need for 4x4.

off road driving

20-30 min. drive up on unpaved, rocky, sandy wash. Well worth it, and best to see it during a sunrise and sunset.

scenic driving

Super easy trail, sandy at some points. The end is a breath taking view of the Badlands.

off road driving

Breathtaking incredible view. Micro Grand Canyon. Easy trail, 4wd is recommended, but a 2wd truck/SUV will probably get thru. This trail was the first of many on the day we went. After we completed Fonts Point, we continued our off-roading expedition by driving east on Short Wash (1/2 way mark on Fonts Point trail) Short Wash will connect you to many different ‘un-reviewed’ trails, I would recommended only 4wd trucks/suvs to do this.

off road driving

don't go for the trail, go for the sunrise. one of the best you'll ever see.

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Excellent views

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Amazing views once you’re at the top. Easy trail for even 2wd and even saw a Prius C drive up at some point. Only had to engage 4Hi to back into a soft sand spot to set up our tent along the drive up. Overall great experience but make sure you’re prepped with shade, water and a portable restroom of sorts if you plan on spending the night along the trail somewhere.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Amazing view of the badlands at sunset! A guitarist playing and singing Eagle’s at the scene is definitely a bonus! Easy off road that you can’t get lost. No problem for first-time off roader with a Subaru’s outback!

Saturday, March 17, 2018

3-10-18 I do recommend if you are in the area & have time you want to visit. https://goo.gl/maps/6sSSoEX9fjT2 unofficial trail head. I have used the longer of the two trails. Trails were good, but I wouldn't use a passenger car. I found areas that had some deeper loose sand that would stop a car, & 1 or 2 areas that would need a higher clearance vehicle. A stock 4wd works fine. The views are great,& found some nice photo opportunities. The activity level was steady flow of around 20-30 people. The area is clean thanks to all who visit that are respectful of our outdoor points of interest. I did not see any restroom or porta potties so plan ahead. Have fun! Thomas

Friday, December 29, 2017

easy drive, great views

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Amazing view of the badlands! Easy trail for 4x4. There are some areas of soft sand.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

One of my favorite places to desert camp in the middle of nowhere. Views of the canyons and trails are amazing and the stars at night are spectacular. Offroading is very easy. I imagine you could do it with a 2WD but 4X4 is more fun.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Did it with my 2WD Easy 4x4 isn’t needed But does have soft sand

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

One of the best sunsets I’ve ever scene in my life. That being said would only really go for the sunset. The out and back 8 mile Hike is really an 8 mile off road sand drive. A lot of reviews say don’t drive it with it 4 wheel drive. Did it with a 2wd, just keep speed up and look for deep sand to step on the gas. Minimal hiking at the destination point. Worth the sunset, bring a bottle of wine for it. Leave quick gets really dark fast after sunset. Have fun!

Monday, October 02, 2017

This trail is a must-do for anyone visiting Anza-Borrego in a 4x4 vehicle. It's easy-peasy, but due to the soft sand you want to avoid using a 2wd. Drive down a wash through the Borrego Badlands, then take a short stroll up a hill to see a view as vast as (if different than) the Grand Canyon. During spring there are usually nice wildflowers in the wash as well. Definitely one of the highlights of Anza-Borrego.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Very easy trail. Did it on my 17 outback with stock wheels. Very fun even the wife enjoyed it.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Trail is easy, views are unbelievable

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Go for the view. Impossible to get lost. Soft sand!!

Monday, March 13, 2017

The view is incredible. I wouldn't hike it though, I'd recommend driving it. It's just a sandy wash and hiking it with vehicles kicking up dust around you isn't my idea of a fun hike.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

went out to font's point 3/8/17. road was is pretty good condition, did it in a Impreza AWD and didn't have any major problems. 2wd cars might make it but there's some really sandy parts. awesome view at the end.

Monday, February 20, 2017

If there were 10 stars available that rating would still fall short. As a native San Diegan I have no clue how this place has stayed off my radar but wow, amazing. Make sure you get your directions down before hand. F'n Siri wanted to lead me through Ocatillo and park 2.3 miles away at the base of this. After that two hour detour it was only a 10 minute drive outside of Borrego Springs and 4 miles up a sandy wash to the point. The sand was thick at times but my AWD CX-5 had no problems. I left my 2WD Tacoma at home thinking I may need the extra traction only to get out there and to the top where I parked next to a Prius. Make sure you look up the history of this area prior as it will only further your appreciation for this natural wonder.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Great views.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Always amazing, especially this time of year. With the recent rains, there's far less dust. 1/7/2017 an amazing day to be out there, with weather in the low 60's and no wind and beautiful skies. Even when it gets busy out there it never feels crowded.