Fonts Point

Fonts Point is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and off road driving and is best used from November until March.

off road driving

A must-see. Easy, short sand wash that ends overlooking badlands. View is spectacular, especially at sunset. Wouldn't recommend this for 2wd vehicles as it's very easy to get bogged down in the soft sand, however, some people do take them.

off road driving

Amazing view of the badlands! Easy trail for 4x4. There are some areas of soft sand.

off road driving

One of my favorite places to desert camp in the middle of nowhere. Views of the canyons and trails are amazing and the stars at night are spectacular. Offroading is very easy. I imagine you could do it with a 2WD but 4X4 is more fun.

Did it with my 2WD
Easy 4x4 isn’t needed

But does have soft sand

One of the best sunsets I’ve ever scene in my life. That being said would only really go for the sunset. The out and back 8 mile Hike is really an 8 mile off road sand drive. A lot of reviews say don’t drive it with it 4 wheel drive. Did it with a 2wd, just keep speed up and look for deep sand to step on the gas. Minimal hiking at the destination point. Worth the sunset, bring a bottle of wine for it. Leave quick gets really dark fast after sunset. Have fun!

off road driving

This trail is a must-do for anyone visiting Anza-Borrego in a 4x4 vehicle. It's easy-peasy, but due to the soft sand you want to avoid using a 2wd. Drive down a wash through the Borrego Badlands, then take a short stroll up a hill to see a view as vast as (if different than) the Grand Canyon. During spring there are usually nice wildflowers in the wash as well. Definitely one of the highlights of Anza-Borrego.

off road driving

Very easy trail. Did it on my 17 outback with stock wheels. Very fun even the wife enjoyed it.

Trail is easy, views are unbelievable

off road driving

Go for the view. Impossible to get lost. Soft sand!!

The view is incredible. I wouldn't hike it though, I'd recommend driving it. It's just a sandy wash and hiking it with vehicles kicking up dust around you isn't my idea of a fun hike.

off road driving

went out to font's point 3/8/17. road was is pretty good condition, did it in a Impreza AWD and didn't have any major problems. 2wd cars might make it but there's some really sandy parts. awesome view at the end.

off road driving

If there were 10 stars available that rating would still fall short. As a native San Diegan I have no clue how this place has stayed off my radar but wow, amazing. Make sure you get your directions down before hand. F'n Siri wanted to lead me through Ocatillo and park 2.3 miles away at the base of this. After that two hour detour it was only a 10 minute drive outside of Borrego Springs and 4 miles up a sandy wash to the point. The sand was thick at times but my AWD CX-5 had no problems. I left my 2WD Tacoma at home thinking I may need the extra traction only to get out there and to the top where I parked next to a Prius.

Make sure you look up the history of this area prior as it will only further your appreciation for this natural wonder.

Great views.

off road driving

Always amazing, especially this time of year. With the recent rains, there's far less dust. 1/7/2017 an amazing day to be out there, with weather in the low 60's and no wind and beautiful skies. Even when it gets busy out there it never feels crowded.

Monday, December 12, 2016