Flinn Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeside, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until February.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,443 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Please note as of June 1st, 2019, users have reported that the trail is closed and fenced off for habitat restoration. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

Didn’t enjoy this trail - we only went about a mile or so up, but it is straight up with sight and sound of the 8, and not very scenic. Won’t do again.

closed

Pretty good hike, little washed out from all the rain. Steep steady incline for the first mile or so. At the meadow area in saddle between the two peaks, there was a fork in the trail but the left trail (to Flinn peak) was completely blocked off with brush. I followed the path to the right for about half a mile but it started going downhill towards a residential area... so you can’t get to the Flinn peak but you can get to the saddle and get in about 3 miles RT.

Pretty overgrown and a few bugs but overall totally worth it!

closed

BLUF: the trail is closed about 1.5 miles in and there is a 3 $ charge to park at the base. however, from the saddle there is an open trail up to a 1700 ft peak. it's a steep trail and pretty enclosed, but relatively short. the views at the top are spectacular.

Closed and they will lock your car in the parking lot if you’re not back by sunset

Trail is closed and fenced off for habitat restoration. Rangers Failed to mention that when asked about it and took my park entry fee anyway. 6/1/19

Sun Apr 07 2019

It's a fairly steep incline for the first mile until you reach the saddle. From the saddle you can go east to reach a short peak or west to climb Silverdome Peak. To follow the trail to Flynn's Peak, you have to head south. The trail meanders along the ridges and valleys until you get to the part that is blocked off. There is a marker arrow that tells you to move along, and a pretty serious fence just beyond to stop anyone who ignores the marker. The approach to Flynn's Peak using this trail is closed.

Mon Mar 25 2019

Saw some mountain lion scat near the top!

Sun Dec 16 2018

I approached from Rios Canyon Road from Crest. Great hike, amazing views (except when you get to the top and you are just outside someone’s property). This is the pinnacle of the Crest Ridge Ecological Preserve peaks.

Sat Nov 24 2018

The last part of the trail is closed for wilderness preservation so we couldn’t make it all the way to the top. Followed another trail and turned back, it was $3 fee to park at the park.

Sat Nov 24 2018

Fri Nov 23 2018

Trail is closed for habitat restoration

Tue Sep 11 2018

I enjoyed this hike it is a work out and the heat doesn't help plus I got lost long story short follow the trail up until you see a so called fence with two green metal poles and wire across go under that fence and stay on that path until you make a left to the next part of the trail to the top of the peak really nice view up top and a nice place to rest for the trek down

Mon Sep 10 2018

I loved this trail because it’s quiet and peaceful unlike a lot of the other popular hikes in San Diego. Make sure you wear pants!!! The path is very overgrown. Hiking boots with good traction will help a lot towards the end of the trail near the peak. We got lost for a bit since there are no clear indications of where to go. Not kid friendly because of how overgrown it is and it’s very steep at the top. The view at the top is breath taking, and I liked the solitude we had during the hike. Park doesn’t open until 9:30AM, so we just parked on the street nearby and walked over. Parking is $3.

Sat Jun 30 2018

I really enjoyed this trail, once we found the correct way to go. It is very confusing as the trail is blocked by a fence. If u take a few steps past the blocked off area u will see a second way to the trail, go this way instead of continuing along the main trail as this is not the correct way, although we had a lot of fun exploring the surrounding area for a bit. The peak itself is pretty fun with lots of rocks for unique picture opportunities.

Mon Apr 23 2018

Good work out hike

Mon Apr 23 2018

Difícil pero me encanto si regreso!!!!

Fri Mar 09 2018

Make sure you wear pants and long sleeves! very overgrown and I made the mistake of wearing shorts. plus I hiked with my 3 year old in his carrier and still had to tell him to cover his face from the branches they were so big. steep incline in the beginning and very rocky so be careful. when you get to a plateau you'll see rocks to the right directing you to go down to the left. small path since part was washed out. met some ladies on the trail they told me there was a barbed wire fence but to walk a couple steps past to get around it they put cairns up to mark. you'll go thru a field and start going up and fairly steep but really sandy trail. at the top you'll see the cross and you can stop here or like we did keep going! right after the cross begins the ascent to the peak. it gets really overgrown here. a couple of cairns to guide you but the trail is pretty easy to see more so for the way down. at the top there is a marker and you can see a metal rod sticking out of some rocks. cool views. can still see the surrounding neighborhood. our favorite part was all the different beautiful butterflies at the peak and a geo cache jar. ps talked to a really nice ranger there and he actually warned me part of the trail is state managed land so technically were not supposed to hike on it so keep that in mind when you go fair warning

Wed Jan 17 2018

I loved this hike! It starts out with a steep fire road that is nothing spectacular scenery wise but is a great booty burner. You get to the top of that and it’s single track hiking the rest of the way. Views are incredible and the closer you get to the peak the more steep and technical it gets. At the top there are big boulders to climb on and we found a geocaching jar which was neat to add our names to. It’s not well traveled which is awesome, we only saw one other person the whole time! You do need $3 to park in the lot below the trail. I will be back!

Wed Dec 06 2017

The weather was beautiful, partly cloudy, saving me from walking in the direct sun all day. The walking was fairly easy through the many burned areas while the numerous fire-breaks served as ready-made trails. I did not see any wildlife, but I did see many deer and other hoofed tracks. The trail head is actually in the back of Flinn Springs County Park, but I entered crossing the creek near the Old Highway 80/I-8 overpass. Along the way, I found a 12 ft. wooden cross perched on a rock facing south-east and a geocache on the Flinn Peak Summit with quite a few log entries. Beautiful, beautiful views to the north.