Flanagan and Chamise Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redding, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

If you want a 360 degree view of all things Shasta (Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, Mount Shasta and City of Shasta Lake), look no further. This highest spot atop the mountainous spine separating Keswick Reservoir from the City of Shasta Lake affords expansive views of the upper Sacramento Valley, the Sacramento River canyon below Shasta Dam and the western mountains. Flanagan Trail starts at the Flanagan Road parking lot and climbs up and over the ridge to the Upper Sacramento Ditch Trail. Chamise Peak Trail starts up the Flanagan Trail before turning right at the pass and continuing up to the top of the peak (1628). Great views from the top.

#tenlegstosunset We are still getting used to the time change and short days and the sun set on us early in this one. Western skies were clear, and once the stars came up, it was gorgeous.
The dogs, particularly Murphy in the lead, are showing more and more comfort with the darkness and our lights.
Just have to be calm and confident.
This trail is in EXCELLENT shape. Thank you to the trail folks for keeping it so incredible. I know it’s popular with the mountain bikes, but I’ll tell you the trails are plenty wide for hiking and the rocky portions have been worked to where it is very comfortable, except the last couple loops up top, which is expected.

Great view of the 3 Shastas.

Lovely day. Couldn't see Mt Shasta today but beautiful views and either I'm getting used to the burn effects or they are starting to fade.

Easy walk... did it with family (3 kids aged 8, 11 and 12). Amazing views at many spots, but primarily once close to the top! Takes an hour up and an hour down approximately by foot.

This is a nice trail for trail running, hiking, mountain biking, or walking.
Close to Redding area and provides a good workout with a decent elevation climb. Good well marked trails, just be aware you are sharing with other outdoor enthusiasts so keep your eyes open for trail runners and mountain bikers.
This trail head offers the option of tying into the Sacramento River trail system as well as just staying on the Flannigan or Chamise trails.
Beautiful views, from the top of Chamise trail, of Shasta Dam & surrounding areas.

I've done this hike twice with my young kids- ages 2 & 4. They did very well! I did carry my two year old because she needed and break. On other parts of the trail it is a bit narrow and close to a steep drop. But overall, it's a great way to spend an afternoon! And that view once you make it to the top... awesome!

Well maintained and clearly marked trail. Great views!

We did this hike on 4th of July morning. Was a nice hike and only took us a couple of hours. There’s a picnic bench at the peak to eat and enjoy the views.

Me and my girls did this trail a couple weeks ago, it was nice the whole way up but once you get to the top it's amazing.

Walking into this beautiful scenic trail my friend and I were greeted by a dog poop bag hanging from a tree. This was about 20 steps away from the entrance, which has a trash can. The hike up to the peak is more of a moderate difficulty for two chubby women. The view at the peak is worth the chaffing thighs and sweat. Be sure to bring water!

We enjoyed our very first hike. This was an easy hike and we ended up going 5.75 miles total. The view of ALL THINGS SHASTA at the top is amazing!

as someone that is in decent but not great shape I found this hike to the top of the peak a little challenging. so I'd rate it more moderate for those in similar shape. definitely not all "gradual" incline. some areas have some steepness to them. the view at the top makes the hike up worth it for sure. the 4y/o 14y/o and border collie had no issues and we managed to get in and out around 2 hours. total trip was closer to 5 miles up and back

Non-strenuous hike to a peak with awesome views. Picnic table at the top if you want to hang out and enjoy the view. We hiked on an overcast day so it was nice all the way up. I could imagine the east facing switchbacks near the top might get a bit toasty on a clear sunny day.

Today was our first hiking trip ever. Flanagan/Chamise peak trail was our choice to see if hiking was for us. We are seniors and have done a decent amount of biking and are regulars at the gym.

We are hooked on hiking and after our hike we went to town and bought hiking equipment. This is an easy trail if you have been active in your life and the view at the top is sensational. Happy Hiking from the Slack’s.

Beautiful trail that slowly inclines for 2.5 Miles to the gorgeous peak that gives you a 360 degree view of mountains and Shasta lake and the Sacramento River. There are trees and shady places to hang your hammock at the top. Highly recommend this.

Great trail for beginners and us old folk. There was a nice reward of a picnic table and a breathtaking view at the top. I will be doing it again.

Very well-maintained and marked trail! Beautiful view at the top. Awesome for a trail run or short hike.

Great trail with the classic 3 Shastas view at the top.

This was such a fun short hike with a small little workout and once reach the top there is a picnic table were u can sit and have lunch like we did and it over looks mt Shasta and Shasta lake so pretty would deff do it again

Great for kids, dogs and mountain bikers! Bring a snack and enjoy it at the picnic table up top!

Quick. Easy. Close to Redding. Great views. A nice way to spend an afternoon hiking. Watching the sunset from the peak is also a great time to hike Chamise- though bring a flashlight for the descent.

Love this hike! Great track. Easy to navigate. Amazing views of the mountains to the west and the valley, Mt. Shasta, the dam and even Lassen. The whole family did this one. The little ones where in the back packs and the 5 & 6 year old killed it.
This one will defiantly be on our short list.
You do have to compete with the mountain bikers but they are were pretty courteous of our crew.

One of my favorite hikes in Redding! Trail is well maintained and a good workout but not too hard.

great

Beautiful hike on well kept trails. Clear trail marking and a pick nick bench at the top made for a great experience.
The gradual incline makes this hike pleasant event for those of us with old sports injuries in knees and hips.

Super fun easy trail to hike not super steep like some trails around here beautiful views of lake Shasta Shasta dam and mount shasta and even amazing views of lassen

Very beautiful hike! Went with friends and hiked to the peak and it has beautiful views of mt. Shasta and mt. Lassen. Would definitely do again.

My boyfriend, our small shitzu, and myself took this hike today and really enjoyed it. While we are not out of shape we are certainly not athletes. We found the hike to be between easy and intermediate only because it's all uphill for 2.5 miles. The trail is in good shape and well marked. We would recommend it for anyone looking for a hike that doesnt take all day. The hike took us about 2 hours.

Well kept trail by the BLM, a lot of work has been done clearing brush to open views.
Easy hike great reward.

Loved this trail, it was really easy and a great trail to walk and y’all with a friend. Views were beautiful.