Fishermans Camp via Tenaja Falls Trailhead

Fishermans Camp via Tenaja Falls Trailhead is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We started from the Fisherman Camp parking lot. There are only room for 4 or 5 cars. We hiked the Tenaja trail all the way to the Tenaja Falls. There are water in the steams but not at the Fall. One way distance is 4.5 miles. Round trip is 9 miles. It was a beautiful hike. We took the lower trail up and the Upper trail back.

Love this trail. Lower trail is overgrown and a little hard to follow, but upper trail was great!

Great short hike in a quiet setting. Paved narrow road all the way to the trailhead. I took the lower creek trail in. Creek is mostly dry and I lost the trail in a couple of spots and had to brush bash and boulder scramble. I took the upper trail on the return trip of the loop, easy to follow and open. I did not see anyone else the entire day on a Friday so it's a good solo get away with moderate elevation gain and loss.

We loved this trail! Beautiful scenery and hill almost all the way up!

great little trail, hike it all seasons to enjoy the changes this trail offers

Love this place. Very quiet and peaceful...no one in sight! Beautiful! No water and didn’t find the falls this time, but will be back to explore. Fairly easy...slightly moderate on way back.

Super fun hike, way there is cake but the way back can be a little more strenuous in my opinion. Not too difficult though, a lot to explore.

Great hike. Hiked it this morning.

loved it , I've been back 3 times trying different trails ,each one is exciting

I would rate this on the more difficult side of moderate (length you should actually figure there and back, which I tracked at about 7 miles, plus elevation gain at some points are super steep, with super narrow trail). Trail was overgrown in many areas, and also incredibly (dangerously) narrow in some areas with what would be a very steep tumble only a trip/stumble away. Luckily not a crowded trail or I would have had to turn back, since navigating that trail with two leashed dogs + competing foot traffic would have been a no-go. Definitely could be marked more frequently/clearly. The only trail markers were all the way at fisherman's camp, which didn't even point us in the direction of the falls, so we had to turn back. A couple sections of the trail (crossing over some rocks) it would have been nice to have markers indicating where the trail reconnects after the crossing. We made it to fisherman's camp (someone stopped me on the way back asking how they get there, as it was their second attempt at trying to find it), but then unfortunately couldn't determine which way to go for the falls. I would rate this on the more difficult side of moderate.
After the first 1/4 mile or so the trail is mostly shaded; good for escaping the sun. There are some good vantage points for nice views, but mostly a very quiet hike where it would be easy to zone out and clear your mind if it weren't for having to so closely monitor your footing.

Also, at the trailhead it is posted that a pass is required to enter and must be displayed on your vehicle left at the lot.

I would go again if only to try to get all the way to the falls.

The pictures and other people’s reviews are somewhat deceiving. The Fisherman’s Camp Trail vía Tenaja Falls splits about a hundred feet from the trail head. Fisherman’s Camp is to the left and the falls are to the right. The trail that is 4.5 miles is the one headed to Fisherman’s Camp and while the river runs along this trail, you will not find any falls.

The trail is lightly traveled. You will find about a mile in that the trail splits into a lower and higher trail. You can choose to hike either trail because they both join up later in the hike. There are a lot of overgrown bushes and grass. So expect to move these out of the way. Which is why i gave it a 3 star rating. However, the views are amazing.

Hiked this 12/21/2017 as a loop starting at the Fisherman’s Camp trail head ending at the Tanaja Falls trail and hiking the road back to start.

No water at the campsite but a lot of standing water down the trail but lots of solitude. It’s well marked but narrow. Very beautiful and quiet. Will definitely be a go to overnight trip spring/ summer.

Monday, November 13, 2017

This was our first time at this trail and we loved it! We hiked about two and a half miles in before turning around due to a few tired pups. :) The trail is pretty narrow (think single-file) with some ups and down, sometimes along cliff faces so be very careful with dogs and little ones; we clipped our dogs to us using their harnesses just to be safe. There wasn’t any running water today, just a few pooled areas that looked pretty icky, so crossing the riverbed was easy going despite there being a lot of rocks. However, there were a few river crossings just in the 2+ miles we hiked, two of which seem like they’d be pretty difficult to cross when the water levels are high and/or fast moving so be aware of that if you hike here after rain or snowmelt. Overall, this was a great hike with beautiful views...we’ll definitely be back! :)

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Thank you Brianna for the directions. We found the trail and everyone ignore what is on this trail because the directions to get there are wrong and the direction shown in the trail is the opposite way and it's 5.8 on wat to the end and only .7 to the falls. I didn't check to see if fisherman camp trail was accurate with directions but follow Brianna and you can find. It's probably 5-7 miles past Tanaya Trailhead.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Love this trail! We've hiked it twice now, each time a little farther than before. We have yet to make it all the way. I love the stream that's along the trail. The constant bubbling is soothing and the only sound around besides the birds. The trail is well manicured. The trees and shrubs are a great cover from the sun and a great help since there's a few ups and downs, that will make you sweat a little. A great little workout for sure.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

This trail is AMAZING! I love the falls and my dog loved it too! Not a very long walk, but it is half up hill with lots of rocks so you can easily get a good workout.

I tried this hike last week and got completely lost in a neighborhood trying to find the trailhead. At least with my experience, I would not trust apple maps to find this trail! Took me in the complete wrong direction!!

To get there, exit the 15 on Clinton Keith road and go west past the Santa Rosa plateau reserve. The road will curve and and it will say you are now on Tenaja Rd. Continue on the road and then turn right on Tenaja Rd, when it turns into a different street. Keep going then turn right on Cleveland Forest Rd. This will take you to the trailhead, but be careful! It is a long winding Rd through the canyon, which gives you some INCREDIBLE views! Just wanted to share how we got there because this hike is definitely worth the drive!

Happy hiking!!!

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Fun little hike, we were lucky enough to see the falls flowing pretty good.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Tenaja Falls trail head is only 1.7 mies in and the same back out. Its very rocky and you have to cross the stream.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Great easy trail! You do have to cross a stream to get there keep that in mind. Just a little too popular for my liking.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Loved this place!!! Great hike! Very beautiful! Just went yesterday! Water flow on the falls was great!!!

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

a very nice hike.. path/trail sometimes disappeared, but as long as you know where the water is flowing, all you have to do is keep going "up stream".

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Beautiful hike

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Excellent first time out using this app. Starting from Fishermans Camp Trial, to Tenaja Falls trail all the way to the falls and then walked the road back to Fishermans Camp parking lot because we were running short on daylight. Trails were beautiful, expect more people the closer you get to the falls. I'll explore more of the canyon downstream next time, some nice spots down there. Had a great time, beautiful day! PLEASE PACK IN/PACK OUT!

Monday, February 06, 2017

hiked in and out with 5 kids...river crossing is a bit difficult for kids and you will most likely have wet feet.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Beautiful hike during Jan and Feb. Just remember that the trailhead is not the same as the trailhead that takes you to fishermans camp. Enjoy the falls and pack out what you pack in.

Monday, January 30, 2017

nice hike this time of year, the fall is full of water and flowing.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Easy and fun for the kids. I took my 1.5 year old son and he hiked in most of the way by himself. Bring water and a snack to sit and enjoy at the end of the trail.
be careful next to the edge of the waterfall.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

just from an outdoorsman artist point of view.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

amazing time out here in the hills!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Great Hike loved the scenery!! Be back for certain!