Feather Falls Loop Trail

Feather Falls Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Oroville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,732 feet Route Type: Loop

bridge out

The trail leads you to the sixth tallest year-round waterfall in the USA. This version takes the upper trail to the falls and back to the trail head via the upper trail. Though longer than an alternative route to the falls, this is the easiest way to the waterfall. During the springtime this is often the only trail to the waterfall because of flooding on the lower trail. The trail head is located near Feather Falls, California. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

Did this yesterday after a snow storm. It was really beautiful but difficult on the uphills due to the 2-3 inches of snow in some areas. There were also several large limbs and small trees across the trail due to the storm but not a bug to be found except for the ladybugs that migrate to the bridge about halfway to the falls. We did out and back along the lower fork to reduce the distance by about .5 miles so 7.6 total instead of 8.1. The waterfall is spectacular; a great destination hike.

Hiked the trail today with my Husky, there were a lot of bugs, but my mustache defeated them.

Easy and well taken care of trail. It’s not as steep as I thought it would be either. The waterfall is beautiful from the large overlook platform. Yes, there are annoying bugs, but they don’t bite. I was using a buff to prevent from inhaling the bugs, then found the perfect pine branch to use as a fly swatter halfway through that saved my sanity.

Nice hike but no kidding about the bugs

Kiddo (16) and I whooped this one today. Lower was closed for maintenance and clearly posted- thank you hiking gods.... very enjoyable. Lookout was well worth it. Had a nice lunch up there in the sun. I’d say this was an easy hike but the length and a couple short grinds bump it up the moderate I guess. Would love to go back in the spring to see the falls in all her glory. Have fun.

Wonderful trail Moderate to hard level for unprepared hikers The waterfall was stunning! I visited in Spring, coming back there this November for the ladybug season

I fckn love this trail

long trail. the left side is out so you must take the right trail, which I would recommend anyway. 10 miles round trip. took us about 5 hours. SO MANY BUGS. I took off a star due to bugs. bug spray did not cut it. bring head protection from bugs. at the end you can view the falls from the top or bottom. there's also a swing near the top

closed

Lower trail was closed. Upper trail hot sunny rocky poison oak and bugs galore. Not for the out of shape or beginner like myself. Took me about 8 hours roundtrip. Lots of ups and downs. I did not find an observation deck at the falls. Once I got to the fall the rest of the trail was rocky stepping over big boulders and it is narrow having to hold on to handrail that is at very edge of cliff. But beautiful all the way around. You need plenty of water and bug guard. Bugs fly in your eyes, nose and mouth the entire hike.

It’s a beautiful hike. It’s shaded. Well maintained. You rewarded with beautiful water fall at the end. Bring a lot of water and bug spray.

LOTS OF BUGS. I ended up jogging most of the trail to avoid the constant attack by the little gnats, flys, and mosquitos that rule this trail. Gorgeous waterfall at the end with not a crazy elevation gain spread out over 9 miles out and back.

Beautiful view of the falls, good hike, maintained trail, but BUGS BUGS BUGS. It was insane how many nats were hovering around my girlfriend and I, almost turned around but toughed it out for the beautiful falls. Just be ready for bug paradise! Took one star off because of the bugs.

Agree go the lower trail come back the upper trail bring lots of water! Bring more than you think you need.

Nice up and down. Go past the overlook and hop in the water.

I had a fabulous time today Saturday 08/17/19 !!! Reviews helps a lot. A hot day & I ran out of water ... but I am 15 mins to my car. The lower trail which says closed ... was not so that’s what I took to the waterfall. !!!

Trail is well maintained, very nicely marked. I hiked up to the falls overview only (didn’t go to the water). Most of the trail was under canopy, which made it a lot easier due to the high temperatures. The view from the overview is stunning!!!!

The hike itself is rather uneventful, mostly rolls through a forest and near a few streams. The falls are incredible! Very hot in the afternoon and a fair number of mosquitos. Drank 2+ liters of water.

The lower loop had a sign that said it was closed for maintenance. A tree fell over the trail, but the tree had been removed already. There was another part of the trail that was extremely sandy, but it was not a reason I think they should have closed the trail for. The lower trail took 2 hours to reach the falls. I took the upper trail on the return back and it took an extra 20 minutes.

Loved it!! Worth every step! The sign said lower Trail was closed but its not. We went up upper Trail and came back lower. Not sure how the lower trail is all up hill??? Now that we know the signs were wrong, Definitely go up the lower Trail and come back on the upper. Stayed at the upper pools passed the top waterfall perfect day for a swim!

While mostly shaded in the beginning, it had long periods in the hot sun. We actually walked almost 10 miles too, it’s a little longer than stated here. Be careful of poison oak near the end.