Feather Falls Loop Trail

Feather Falls Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oroville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

The trail leads you to the sixth tallest year-round waterfall in the USA. This version takes the upper trail to the falls and back to the trail head via the upper trail. Though longer than an alternative route to the falls, this is the easiest way to the waterfall. During the springtime this is often the only trail to the waterfall because of flooding on the lower trail. The trail head is located near Feather Falls, California. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

There was no sign on the fork & we didn't think of getting a map before we started so we took the trail on the left & apparently it was the more difficult one. About 3.5 miles in we saw a black bear near the trail ahead of us so we ended up having to walk back in fear & in silence without even seeing the waterfall. I've never walked so fast in my life. It was a great workout, but the trail could use some maintance.

This trail wasn't worth the effort. It's long, hot and honestly not that pretty (like some of the women from my past). The trail is not well maintained, lots of plant life growing into the walking path you can't avoid walking through, a fallen tree you have to climb over. If you are with a lady in booty shorts, she won’t like it and will keep telling you how much she dislikes it, trust me I know. There's one good look out point where you can see the waterfall but you're not very close to it. Other than that spot you can't ever really see it. When you get to the top of the waterfall the angle is bad and you can't actually see the bottom or the water go off the cliff. I will say the water at the top is nice, clear and refreshing to get in. If you like pain with no payoff, this is for you, you masochist.

It was such a beautiful hike... perfect weather and beautiful swimming hole at the top of the waterfalls!

nice trail with many shaded areas. we take the lower loop in and the upper loop out. platform overlooks the falls. bit of a drive to get there from greater Sacramento area but worth it.

Amazing. I was alone all the hike long. It was easy to follow the hike, and it was shady both upper and lower. It is one of the best waterfalls in USA.

Hiked the lower trail first which kept us in the shade and in the creek at times. There was one tree on the trail we had to work around. Feather Falls itself was great with a nice, but very sunny platform. The lower trail had lots of benches along the way and there are benches near the viewing platform in the shade. We took the upper trail back, which was a little longer, easier to hike, but had much more sun. Also, there was another tree on the trail we had to work around. There's a second unnamed falls along the upper trail that's also nice. The only complaint was that the poison oak and blackberry bushes are starting to reach a little far into the trail.

Overall it was a great hike. Took us 5 hrs with 1 hr spent at the falls (we're also slow hikers).

Great trail! Pay attention to the sigh that says go left/right. Somebody wrote “this sucks” going that direction. Do the sucky side 1st and it’ll be downhill instead of going uphill.

A hidden gem. Thankful for previous reviewers and tips. We went yesterday and took our time. We went to the upper, longer or trail to the right then went back down to the 3.5ish mile back. Note that the sign for the fork is gone. The hike going back is full of obstacles like a stream taking over the trail, a tree on the path and some parts overgrown, but it was worth it when we came upon the swim hole near the end and the lady bug colony on the bridge. Be wary of footing as some paths on the edge could give in. Don’t miss the butterfly area on the longer trail by the longer bridge. The loop has so many wonderful benches. Take time to sit and ponder. Also notice the sounds of the streams and how they change in every bend. Do bring lots of water and food so taking time won’t be a problem. We almost had the park to ourselves. If John Muir came, this place would be packed. No fee as well. Enjoy! (Some trash here and there so we picked some reachable ones. Help keep the trash out as it seems hardly maintained.)

Love this trail! Overall fairly challenging. You’ll work up a bit of a sweat during the steep parts before making it to the outlook by the gorgeous waterfall. Be prepared for some extra weight if you have children with you. We brought along a 3 yr. old, which made for a long trek up to the waterfall, but she was a trooper and did surprisingly well! The way back down though, she was pretty wiped and we had to take turns carrying her for more than half of the trail. Would definitely do it again.

Beautiful trail but make sure you’re prepared!

Great hike. Plan well, though. Lots of water or a water filter and snacks. Once you start you'll come to a fork. The lower trail is harder with more changes in elevation and more rocky obstacles where the top trail still has some but not as much. About 3 miles in (we started on the lower trail) you come to a wooden sign that says falls. Follow it, obviously...lol you're about 0.5miles to your destination. At that sign the other trail is the other way out. Towards the end there's a railing. If you look to the right just as the railing turns and takes you to the left there's an unmarked but obvious trail up to the top of the water falls. It's about .25 mile but so worth it!

A Jere's Jaunts hike. My brother and I set a good pace but Marty blew our doors off. I think he believes all hikes are a workout/competition. Lots of switchbacks on this trail but a good mix of scenery and the falls itself is really nice, one of the larger in our area.

Excellent hike! Fairly level with some up-and downs on the upper trail, more significant elevation changes on the lower. Lots of mosquitoes, so bring bug spray! Outlook point at the end is 100% worth it, bring a lunch and enjoy it at the end with a great view.

Feather Falls is beautiful, sacred and majestic. The trail has spectacular views. Truly a spiritual journey.

Beautiful trail.

Beautiful hike. Would recommend taking the left fork going in and the opposite side of the loop out for an easier route. Bring lots of bug spray for yourself and your dogs. There's a good amount of shade throughout the hike.

Right on! This is my favorite so far.

Love this hike gorgeous gorgeous waterfall worth the hike in. Lots of mosquitos today glad we took repellant. Always lots of friendly families with kids and dogs. This is a great family hike.

Love this hike. The view is great, we went in January. I recommend the extended hike pass the overlook to get to the top of the waterfall. There were a few downed trees that we had to go over or under, along the path. I’ve done the lower trail back and forth as well as the upper trail back and forth. Lower has more streams and shade. Upper has a nice small waterfall.. we did not run into any bugs during January but I have heard that gnats can be a issue during later months as well as mosquitoes.

great hike, awesome waterfall.

Great trail hike the views are worth the hike. start to the trail on the left all down hill great photo ops, and on the way out go left nice easy gradual hike back out.

Solid. You can make it tomorrow steep or easy and either way you see the falls and the top of the river.

Beautiful place to hike and see Gods creation. about 8 miles of trail. easier and longer by 1/2 mile way to go on the right but shorter and steeper on the way is on the left. recomend this hike if you will be in that area of Oroville.

Wicked Kool

This hike is absolutely amazing. It is pretty difficult though. I’m 20 and I’m pretty good shape and it had me and both my friends sweating. The whole loop is gorgeous. Tons of wildlife like the California newt, banana slugs, and all the lizards you could want to see. On my second visit did run into a couple tiny Alameda striped Racer snakes. It’s an amazing hike for all ages but it is definitely a workout. 100% is a must do while you are in the area. I try and go at least once a week because it is just so beautiful.

Be careful! Poison Oak on this trail!

Great hike with amazing scenery. The waterfall is worth the distance. It was pretty tough taking the lower trail to get back as it is mostly uphill.

it was a long hike but worth it at the end

Amazing waterfall. Easy to navigate. Takes a long time to achieve the waterfall, but it's worth it!

Great place to hike !! Trail was very well maintained and easy to navigate. And the views were worth every bit of aching feet and back. Met lots of friendly hikers and dogs. Only disappointment was the graffiti and the trash and empty water bottles people left behind.