Feather Falls Loop Trail

Feather Falls Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oroville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

The trail leads you to the sixth tallest year-round waterfall in the USA. This version takes the upper trail to the falls and back to the trail head via the upper trail. Though longer than an alternative route to the falls, this is the easiest way to the waterfall. During the springtime this is often the only trail to the waterfall because of flooding on the lower trail. The trail head is located near Feather Falls, California. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

Love this trail! Overall fairly challenging. You’ll work up a bit of a sweat during the steep parts before making it to the outlook by the gorgeous waterfall. Be prepared for some extra weight if you have children with you. We brought along a 3 yr. old, which made for a long trek up to the waterfall, but she was a trooper and did surprisingly well! The way back down though, she was pretty wiped and we had to take turns carrying her for more than half of the trail. Would definitely do it again.

Beautiful trail but make sure you’re prepared!

Great hike. Plan well, though. Lots of water or a water filter and snacks. Once you start you'll come to a fork. The lower trail is harder with more changes in elevation and more rocky obstacles where the top trail still has some but not as much. About 3 miles in (we started on the lower trail) you come to a wooden sign that says falls. Follow it, obviously...lol you're about 0.5miles to your destination. At that sign the other trail is the other way out. Towards the end there's a railing. If you look to the right just as the railing turns and takes you to the left there's an unmarked but obvious trail up to the top of the water falls. It's about .25 mile but so worth it!

A Jere's Jaunts hike. My brother and I set a good pace but Marty blew our doors off. I think he believes all hikes are a workout/competition. Lots of switchbacks on this trail but a good mix of scenery and the falls itself is really nice, one of the larger in our area.

Excellent hike! Fairly level with some up-and downs on the upper trail, more significant elevation changes on the lower. Lots of mosquitoes, so bring bug spray! Outlook point at the end is 100% worth it, bring a lunch and enjoy it at the end with a great view.

Feather Falls is beautiful, sacred and majestic. The trail has spectacular views. Truly a spiritual journey.

Beautiful trail.

Beautiful hike. Would recommend taking the left fork going in and the opposite side of the loop out for an easier route. Bring lots of bug spray for yourself and your dogs. There's a good amount of shade throughout the hike.

Right on! This is my favorite so far.

Love this hike gorgeous gorgeous waterfall worth the hike in. Lots of mosquitos today glad we took repellant. Always lots of friendly families with kids and dogs. This is a great family hike.

Love this hike. The view is great, we went in January. I recommend the extended hike pass the overlook to get to the top of the waterfall. There were a few downed trees that we had to go over or under, along the path. I’ve done the lower trail back and forth as well as the upper trail back and forth. Lower has more streams and shade. Upper has a nice small waterfall.. we did not run into any bugs during January but I have heard that gnats can be a issue during later months as well as mosquitoes.

great hike, awesome waterfall.

Great trail hike the views are worth the hike. start to the trail on the left all down hill great photo ops, and on the way out go left nice easy gradual hike back out.

Solid. You can make it tomorrow steep or easy and either way you see the falls and the top of the river.

Beautiful place to hike and see Gods creation. about 8 miles of trail. easier and longer by 1/2 mile way to go on the right but shorter and steeper on the way is on the left. recomend this hike if you will be in that area of Oroville.

Wicked Kool

This hike is absolutely amazing. It is pretty difficult though. I’m 20 and I’m pretty good shape and it had me and both my friends sweating. The whole loop is gorgeous. Tons of wildlife like the California newt, banana slugs, and all the lizards you could want to see. On my second visit did run into a couple tiny Alameda striped Racer snakes. It’s an amazing hike for all ages but it is definitely a workout. 100% is a must do while you are in the area. I try and go at least once a week because it is just so beautiful.

Be careful! Poison Oak on this trail!

Great hike with amazing scenery. The waterfall is worth the distance. It was pretty tough taking the lower trail to get back as it is mostly uphill.

it was a long hike but worth it at the end

Amazing waterfall. Easy to navigate. Takes a long time to achieve the waterfall, but it's worth it!

Great place to hike !! Trail was very well maintained and easy to navigate. And the views were worth every bit of aching feet and back. Met lots of friendly hikers and dogs. Only disappointment was the graffiti and the trash and empty water bottles people left behind.

One of my all time favorites! Stunning scenery! Upper trail is easy, if you want a difficult loop, hike the upper trail in & lower trail out (almost entirely up hill). Amazing beauty the entire trail any time of year! Not easy for young kids.

Very Nice

I really like this trail. I have done the full loop once in the summer and the last time we hiked the eastern 4.5 mile both ways to add some extra mileage. The waterfall is beautiful albeit a little touristy for my taste. A mostly shaded hike with some great views and wildlife. We have seen orange salamanders both times on the trail summer and winter. Dog friendly!

Nice hike. Several ticks were trying to attach to do and and one attached to my leg. Be prepared and check yourself and animals well.

one of my all time favorite hikes. easy terrain, no steep grades, but still an engaging hike to a gorgeous view. we often camp 1 or 2 nights at the trail head.

Such an amazing and beautiful hike.

Hiked here 2 weekends ago with the pup and it was great! Picked up 2 ticks early on but didn’t see anymore for the rest of the trail. Great views, peaceful walk. Only busy part was the overlook to the waterfall other than that we barely saw anyone else.

Parking is easy at the trailhead but the bathrooms are GROSS.

I didn’t complain at all after I got to the end