Feather Falls Loop Trail

Feather Falls Loop Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oroville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

The trail leads you to the sixth tallest year-round waterfall in the USA. This version takes the upper trail to the falls and back to the trail head via the upper trail. Though longer than an alternative route to the falls, this is the easiest way to the waterfall. During the springtime this is often the only trail to the waterfall because of flooding on the lower trail. The trail head is located near Feather Falls, California. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. We hiked is in April. It was a beautiful time to hike. It was a very green time of year and there were plenty of wildflowers along the trail and a very full waterfall at trail's end. The water from the falls crashed with a loud roar onto the rocks and riverbed below.

Got to the trailhead around 8am on a Sunday and didn’t see anyone else on the trail until we were about halfway back to the parking lot. Even though it was a very foggy day, the trail was beautiful and clear. Falls were strong despite lack of rain and snow so far this season. We took the lower trail in and the upper trail out and went to the lookout but not the top of the falls and it was almost 10 miles (not 7.2 as Alltrails shows). Free parking. Be aware that the top trail (to the right at the split as you are headed in) although longer, isn’t as steep as the the lower. So if you’d like to hit both, I recommend taking lower in and upper out, unless you are looking for more of a challenge. I’ve done it both ways and there is a significant difference. Although the hike was gorgeous in January, our summertime hike here (June) included additional wildlife features we did not encounter in January. The ladybugs were still migrating and were amazing. Also we came across lots of banana slugs and many orange salamanders, which we were able to hold. Great hike for a photographer!

Nice hike. Several ticks were trying to attach to do and and one attached to my leg. Be prepared and check yourself and animals well.

one of my all time favorite hikes. easy terrain, no steep grades, but still an engaging hike to a gorgeous view. we often camp 1 or 2 nights at the trail head.

Such an amazing and beautiful hike.

Hiked here 2 weekends ago with the pup and it was great! Picked up 2 ticks early on but didn’t see anymore for the rest of the trail. Great views, peaceful walk. Only busy part was the overlook to the waterfall other than that we barely saw anyone else.

Parking is easy at the trailhead but the bathrooms are GROSS.

I didn’t complain at all after I got to the end

Awesome trail! Sun was out with blue sky and temps in the upper 50’s. Started out a little chill but soon the jacket was off and sweating. Took the upper trail to the falls and returned on the lower. I would probably do the opposite next time because you’re going uphill the whole way back when returning on the lower trail. Stay to the left when the trail forks near the beginning & then follow the loop trail GPS. Ended up being 8 miles. Went during the week and it was so peaceful and tranquil.

Nice scenic trail. Forks off in the beggining and I chose the high road. On the trail by 7am had it all to myself! So peaceful

Did not take the loop everyone talked about went out to the outlook and back. Started from the main parking area. The directions link on all trails will take you right into the parking area. (Sometimes I find the not all the direct links are good but this one was spot on)

I’m in good shape and it took me 80 minutes each way. Really pretty views. A decent moderate as others said. On a scale of 1-10 in difficultly I️ would give it a 4.

Saw individuals of all ages and abilities.

Trail is dog friendly:) enough traffic that I️ wasn’t isolated but also isolated enough to be with nature I️ solitude.

Great hike, my wife's first over nighter. We loved it. Not quite a day hike for us but we jade a great time.

Erosion has plagued most of the trail as there are deep cuts and downed trees. Some of the sections can get pretty narrow. There are multiple water crossings (3 bridges/4 small streams) and plenty of sights. Look for Bald Cap Dome (similar to Half Dome in Yosemite) on the upper trail and watch out for ticks in the lower loop’s vegetation. There is also an optional route to the actual top off the falls instead of the viewing platform. You can eat lunch in the shade next to the river for a great afternoon of adventure.

This is one of a amazing hike, I have enjoyed thoroughly as it is in the Riparian Habitat. After nearly 0.5 mile the trail bifurcates into 2 trails, the lower and the upper trail. There are no trail markings there though. The lower trail is close to 3.8 mile and the upper trail is 4 to 5 miles. The lower trail is steep and the upper trail is gradual. I took the lower trail to reach the falls and took the upper trail for the return. This way the hike is lot more easier. Spring and Fall would be the ideal time for the hike. On the path of upper trail you will get to see a Half dome formation similar to Yosemite and pass through another small falls. there is water around the year in these falls.

it's open , the fires didn't reach the campsites or trails, but alot of people lost their home on the road that leads up their . besides all the natural disasters it's one of the best dog friendly trails in the area.

Great trail! Definitely worth it, the falls are gorgeous. The trail is very well maintained, the grade is steep and long, but worth every step!

Currently closed due to fire

Awesome loop had a blast and view is great

Absolutely breath taking! Most of the trail is shaded by trees and pass through few creeks to cool down

I was maybe a little unprepared for this hike. We had seen a couple and asked asked whether to take the 3.3 or the 4.5 trail to get to the falls they suggested the 4.5. This led us to 11 miles once we were done. Also didn't help we went on such a hot day it was over 100. Only because we weren't rewarded with a swimming hole that we could take a dip in. We did however stop at the first falls which was about 2 miles in. The actual Feather falls Waterfall was thriving and beautiful but there is lack of shade once you get to the look out point. Be very prepared with lots of water and aware of the no swimming holes to cool down in. Also that its a tad longer than what the site says depending on if you take the lower trails.

lots of water and make sure you start early