Fay Canyon-Luther Creek Trail

Fay Canyon-Luther Creek Trail is a 13.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Markleeville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,113 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Knee is still bummed out. :/ intended to do the whole valley view loop tonight but it didn’t happen. Next time.

I did the interpretive loop trail and it was amazing.

the first climb is super sandy and uphill, but then it stabilizes about half a mile up. Beautiful view. pretty busy but not crowded.

Choose this hike depending on what you're looking to achieve. If you want to challenge yourself without many viewpoints this is a great hike. Ran into less then 10 people the whole time. If you're looking for a hike with great views I'd choose others. Well maintained path. Agree with another review that said the last 3 miles was the best. The rest was "meh" for me.

Best part of the trail was the last 3 miles past the Grand View Circle and the sign that says “Old Road Ends Ahead”. Nice quiet trail for a peaceful hike on a mostly wide, easy to walk on path.

Beautiful views of Carson Valley and not too hot this time of year. It is very open in the beginning, and very high traffic. Once you get into the trees on some of the various loops that intersect the trail, it gets a little less crowded and there’s a little more shade. Lots and lots of dogs, and horses, too.

Quick and accessible winter hike! Minimal snow/ice once you get to the trees right now, but otherwise the trail was clear and not too busy.

Sat Nov 24 2018

Short hike with the family. Warm day and we were surprised that the trail wasn’t very busy. We did 2.2 miles total from the Jobs Peak Ranch trailhead and turned around at the creek.

Sat Sep 15 2018

My family and friends and of course our well known dog "Ragnar" use this trail an average of 4-5 times a week. it has creeks and streams for the animals and so many beautiful things to see! we see something different every time. well groomed trail as well.

Fri Sep 14 2018

Can be easy or difficult based on the direction you choose. Very pretty. Views of Carson Valley. Sandy areas.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Good, easy day hike trail. :-)

Fri Jul 06 2018

Great easy hike along the tree line. Hardly notice the gain.

Fri Jun 22 2018

I rode on 6/21/18. Nice trail for hiking but I do not recommend for MTB as the trail is very sandy (loose fine crushed granite). Perhaps if it has just rained it may be ok. Also bikes are not allowed on part of the trail so I was forced to take the Valley View Loop then back out.

Fri May 18 2018

We love this trail, especially once you get into the trees. such a well built trail with lots of features. There are water crossings and a variety of views.

Tue Mar 27 2018

There are actually many trails in this area. Nice easy trails that are perfect to do after work. I see a lot of runners, kids, dogs, horses on these trails.

Fri Feb 09 2018

Nice trails for hiking, equestrian, mountain bike, and dogs. A little boring on the north side behind the housing development where no equestrian is allowed. Poop bags for dogs available.

Wed Apr 19 2017

I've been using Fay all winter to get in and stay in shape for Spring and Summer. It's very well maintained. I enjoy hiking during weekdays versus.weekends when it can get quite busy. Grand View Loop and Jobs Peak Ranch trails are the most challenging and well worth the effort.

Mon Apr 10 2017

I took a loop counterclockwise (and I am glad I went this way- up the hill) up to the top of grand view loop and down to Luther creek. Well marked trail. Bushes starting to bloom. Horses allowed on the trail. Dogs off the leash allowed after March 30 until November. Poop bags provided at trail head.

Wed Nov 30 2016

Took the dog out yesterday and did the Grandview loop. Great trail with some challenging slopes and amazing views. Watch out for horse poop!

Thu May 12 2016

Interpretive trail was a nice distraction. Next time we'll add in the Grand View loop.

Mon Apr 04 2016

Average difficulty, really nice view.

Mon Jan 04 2016

Perfect day for snowshoeing

Thu Nov 13 2014

This is a awesome trail system for everyone.

Mon Dec 30 2013

Given the lack of snow this winter, Christmas break has been a better time for hiking than skiing. Got out to try this trail today with my wife, daughter (7), niece (8) and father and mother in law. Sections were a bit icy (but that is to be expected in December!) and so going was a bit slower than normal, but trail was easy to follow, well maintained and gave some great views of the valley. We just did the Sandy Trail and the Interpretive Loop so only covered 2.6 miles in total, but made for an enjoyable afternoon activity for all. Signs on the interpretive trail were great - I now know how to tell a Jeffrey Pine from a Ponderosa pine by the pine cone!

Mon Apr 09 2012

This was a great hike! I took the Alternative Loop to the Grand View Loop and then the 2.5 miles past to the trail's end. The climb can be pretty steep at times, but it is clearly marked and in excellent condition. I saw two other hikers on the trail. The views of Carson Valley were amazing. A large portion of the trail is in direct sunlight, so bring lots of water if you are planning on doing the whole trail. Imapmyfitness app on my phone showed 9 total miles with an elevation gain of 2000'. It took me four hours, but my pace wasn't that great. I'll do this hike again!

Wed Jul 20 2011

This trail is much closer to Genoa, NV than it is to Markleeville. Took our 2 year old twins for a walk here and they did fairly well but we probably only walked about 2 miles round trip. We went late in the evening so it wasn't hot and didn't see many people out at that time. Our 6 year old did great and I know she would have been fine to go farther. Nice walk and close if you live in the Carson Valley.