Fay Canyon-Luther Creek Trail

Fay Canyon-Luther Creek Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Markleeville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great easy hike along the tree line. Hardly notice the gain.

I rode on 6/21/18. Nice trail for hiking but I do not recommend for MTB as the trail is very sandy (loose fine crushed granite). Perhaps if it has just rained it may be ok. Also bikes are not allowed on part of the trail so I was forced to take the Valley View Loop then back out.

We love this trail, especially once you get into the trees. such a well built trail with lots of features. There are water crossings and a variety of views.

There are actually many trails in this area. Nice easy trails that are perfect to do after work. I see a lot of runners, kids, dogs, horses on these trails.

Nice trails for hiking, equestrian, mountain bike, and dogs. A little boring on the north side behind the housing development where no equestrian is allowed. Poop bags for dogs available.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

I've been using Fay all winter to get in and stay in shape for Spring and Summer. It's very well maintained. I enjoy hiking during weekdays versus.weekends when it can get quite busy. Grand View Loop and Jobs Peak Ranch trails are the most challenging and well worth the effort.

Monday, April 10, 2017

I took a loop counterclockwise (and I am glad I went this way- up the hill) up to the top of grand view loop and down to Luther creek. Well marked trail. Bushes starting to bloom. Horses allowed on the trail. Dogs off the leash allowed after March 30 until November. Poop bags provided at trail head.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Took the dog out yesterday and did the Grandview loop. Great trail with some challenging slopes and amazing views. Watch out for horse poop!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

love to ride horses on this trail.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Interpretive trail was a nice distraction. Next time we'll add in the Grand View loop.

Monday, April 04, 2016

Average difficulty, really nice view.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Perfect day for snowshoeing

Thursday, November 13, 2014

This is a awesome trail system for everyone.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Given the lack of snow this winter, Christmas break has been a better time for hiking than skiing. Got out to try this trail today with my wife, daughter (7), niece (8) and father and mother in law. Sections were a bit icy (but that is to be expected in December!) and so going was a bit slower than normal, but trail was easy to follow, well maintained and gave some great views of the valley. We just did the Sandy Trail and the Interpretive Loop so only covered 2.6 miles in total, but made for an enjoyable afternoon activity for all. Signs on the interpretive trail were great - I now know how to tell a Jeffrey Pine from a Ponderosa pine by the pine cone!

Monday, April 09, 2012

This was a great hike! I took the Alternative Loop to the Grand View Loop and then the 2.5 miles past to the trail's end. The climb can be pretty steep at times, but it is clearly marked and in excellent condition. I saw two other hikers on the trail. The views of Carson Valley were amazing. A large portion of the trail is in direct sunlight, so bring lots of water if you are planning on doing the whole trail. Imapmyfitness app on my phone showed 9 total miles with an elevation gain of 2000'. It took me four hours, but my pace wasn't that great. I'll do this hike again!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

This trail is much closer to Genoa, NV than it is to Markleeville. Took our 2 year old twins for a walk here and they did fairly well but we probably only walked about 2 miles round trip. We went late in the evening so it wasn't hot and didn't see many people out at that time. Our 6 year old did great and I know she would have been fine to go farther. Nice walk and close if you live in the Carson Valley.

Saturday, June 03, 2017