Farewell Gap Trail [CLOSED] is a 11.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length11.8 miElevation gain2,857 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsBird watchingRunningForestViewswild-flowersWildlifeClosed
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

As of September 2020, trails in this area are closed due to wildfire. See park page for more information.

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Directions from Lookout Point Entrance: Drive eastward on Mineral King Road to the fork at the end. Follow the right side of the fork to the Eagle/Mosquito Parking Area. (This is the trailhead for the Eagle Lake Trail.) Walk back to the bridge that crosses the river and follow it. Turn right on the dirt road that leads to the Mineral King Pack Station. Pass the corral and look for the Farewell Gap Trail sign.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (12)
Photos (109)
Recordings (6)
Completed (29)
David Clonts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Backpacking

So we were in SEKI Summer of 2019. We were doing a 10 day High Sierra Trail, but there was a blowout above Hamilton likes that kept us from doing that We ended up heading south, up in the Mineral King area, and up towards Franklin Lakes. As we were hiking there, we saw Farwell Gap—and it draws you. We ended up at Franklin Lakes, hit a couple of passes, and bagged a couple of peaks. But next to last day, we went back down and up to their wealth gap. 50 mile an hour winds as we crossed, it was awesome. This is a beautiful place, serene, isolated, awesome. We went down to a cool camping spot daughters pounded out to bulldog like in 45 minutes and back and I got to watch. I don’t know why— been to a lot of very cool places— but farewell gap is pretty awesome.

Mike Scott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2018
Kyle Mouren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2018
Hiking

we initially were going to hike to bullfrog lake, but we were pretty thrashed from the elevation climb and carrying 25+ pounds in our backpacks. we hiked past the farewell gap point and hiked down into the valley that is right below bullfrog lake. we decided to make camp in the beautiful valley and we do not regret not going to the lake. the switch backs on this trail can be pretty hard but other than that the hike was beautiful and we enjoyed every moment going into the back country. I highly recommend backpacking this trail or if you just want to do a day hike to the stopping point.

Julio Ruiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2017
Backpacking

Nice trail, tough trail for a beginner once we started reaching 9000 feet I had to stop every quarter mile because I wasn't in good condition but beautiful scenery especially when it's cloudy

Eric M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 9, 2017
Backpacking

Backpacked this trail in June of 2016. We were the first group that year to cross over from the Mineral King Side. There was considerable snow blocking the trail, but we managed to make it up and over (no special gear required). Crossed the Gap and camped down @ Bullion Flat. Fantastic little area. Water running down the side of the camp site. Spectacular sunrise. Well worth the drive up to Mineral King.....which is possibly the worst road have ever been on. Overall, great weekender trip. We used it as our shakeout for the HST later that year.

RL Ro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2016
Backpacking

are there any thru trails east to kern canyon ranger station and on past little whitney meadow to cottonwood pass? alltrails.com is great for short localized hikes, but i can't find any trails that go through; even while the forest service maps show some such trails.

Louis Vetter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 3, 2012
First to Review

I carried my backpack of 33 pounds with water, tent, bear canister, et. al. and hiked up about four miles to a likely looking camping site. Having lived in California for less than one year and this being my first backpacking experience here I stopped and set up my tent at about five pm. The view was beautiful and I was amazed by the deer passing nearby with no fear of my presence. I also noticed a growth of trees to the West on the hillside about eight miles away. The trees grew in a patch that resembled a heart shape and I wondered why. The next morning I figured it out. As I made coffee the sun finally shown over the mountain and then I saw it. The sun was shining onto the far mountain making a light in the shape of a "Vee" that outlined the bottom of the heart. After coffee and energy bars I packed up and set my pack on a rock while I climbed up to the gap and back. I encountered snow in the shadow of the hillside as I was hiking and made it to the "GAP". There were peaks on both sides with a spectacular view to the East and the trail went on but I didn't. I turned back picked up my pack and hiked back to the car. I passed two other hikers heading up the trail but they were headed to Franklin Pass and not to the gap (I think they mentioned a lake too). Based on the information provided on the trail markers I believe I hiked twelve miles total round trip to the gap and back. I also had blisters to show for my effort too.

Bubba Shivley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
View Bubba's Recording
Jessica Theisman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2019
View Jessica's Recording
Jonathan Roth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2017
View Jonathan's Recording
Mike East
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2016
View Mike's Recording
Mike East
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2016
View Mike's Recording