Famosa Slough Trail

Famosa Slough Trail is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I had heard about the fire in the Slough and wanted to check out for myself how much of the nature preserve was affected. The burned area is off the loop trails that can be accessed from the Valeta St trailhead. It doesn’t affect the trail itself (although it did come right up to it) and was mainly in an area that used to be accessible but is now closed for revegetation, between a bench at an overlook and the Point Loma Tennis Club courts. I was happy to see that the tall bushes of the loop trails are unaffected. It’s worth mentioning that the park was cleaner than I’d ever seen it before. No one camping at the trailhead, no RVs in the parking lot, and no trash on the trail.

Walked the last part of the out-and-back trail between W. Point Loma Ave. and I-8. Beautiful natural surroundings, but the trail runs very close to the adjacent apartment complex. Also, there were signs of transient camping. Still a pretty nice walk though.

Walked the two short loop trails. They're cut into thick brush, which makes them shaded and beautiful. But very very short - .15 mile total for both loops! I took a stroller but wouldn't do so again, as the trail is narrow and uneven. Plus, the loops are so short that most toddlers should be able to walk them without a problem. The bench with a view of the slough is a bonus. Next time, we'll take the longer out-and-back trail.

Edit: returned the following day to walk the out-and-back trail as far as W Point Loma Blvd. As far as my opinion on Famosa Slough, I’m torn: on the one hand it’s absolutely beautiful and peaceful and I’m so glad that this local little gem, not to mention a part of our ecosystem and habitat for our local wildlife, has been preserved. On the other hand, humans have made it a little less nice. Since it's small, the surrounding apartment complexes are almost always within view. And SD’s homelessness problem is visible here too; there’s a motorhome permanently parked at the trailhead, there appears to be at least one person living in the bushes at the trailhead, and my toddlers and I stumbled upon a person sleeping on a bench at a secluded overview of the water. I appreciate the nature preserve so much, but in order to enjoy it you have to have a bit of tolerance for things being not perfectly romantic. If you can look past a little bit of grittiness, it’s a beautiful place to go for a walk, enjoy flowers and trees, and watch different kinds of birds.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Grabbing a few geocaches in the area. In n out.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Not much of a hike, but excellent for showing my 4 year old numerous birds and wildlife right in the middle of the city and start to get her excited about the outdoors

Sunday, January 10, 2016

It's not even a Mike. Just a marsh.

Friday, December 19, 2014

Flat and not exciting.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Not a very strenuous walk, it's actually more like 1.25 miles and we didn't find a loop. It's basically two different paths bordering the wetlands on two sides. I don't understand why it has so many features in the description, we didn't see any of those except the wetlands.

Sunday, May 07, 2017