Fallen Leaf Lake Trail

Fallen Leaf Lake Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

private property

Gorgeous lake, easy trail at campground. Great birdwatching area, I saw Western Tanagers. Can be crowded at times.

I would only recommend doing half the lake. After that you have to walk through Stanford Camp and are on a one lane road the 2nd half of the hike. The road is one lane and not safe to walk on with children. The cars are not looking out for walkers. Beautiful lake just don’t go past the lodge. I would get lunch and go back same direction not on the road.

Gorgeous for a short walk to hang out at the water’s edge but not a good loop trip hike and not moderate (you have to climb huge boulders at one point and traverse a waterfall in another). If you want great views of the lake, do the difficult and shorter Tallahassee trail. The trail is not well marked as others mention so download the map ahead of time. About 1/3 is on paved roads, you have to walk on private property and walk through a camp (although they didn’t seem to mind).

Pros: gorgeous views & a nice public beach for lunch 1/2 way through

Cons: trail not well marked, some difficult and steep areas & not a trail for over 1-2 the way

Super fun hike. Hit the waterfall first and then a few of the buildings from the old resort. We found more spots to check out the river and swim as we went up. Good times.

A large portion of this is paved road. It was good exercise walking around the lake but that's about it.

hiked with my dog june 21 18. weather was perfect, lake was beautiful.

Beautiful views but this not a “trail” per se. West side of lake is hardly marked and in some spots pretty treacherous. Had to shimmy down a trail near a small water fall and trail was hardly marked. Most of the trail follows or is on paved roads through neighborhoods so if you’re looking to get away, this isn’t the spot. West side of the lake is not moderate...the difficulty of the trail in that spot coupled with the altitude makes it tough. An out and back to either side for a couple of miles is moderate, after that, good luck.

So this is definitely an awesome spot for about a mile in each direction from the trailhead. But it’s extremely hard to hike around the entire lake. I did it but following the trail to the left landed me trespassing. I walked about 2 miles on a paved road in a neighborhood. Someone stopped to ask me how I got there. Then I had to walk through a summer camp to get back to the trail. It was clearly marked from that point until about the 6 mile range in where it became overgrown and difficult to navigate. I wouldn’t recommend this as an all the way around the lake hike due to the trespassing, paved road, poorly marked trails and frankly in the summer it will be too overgrown to complete. But it was a super beautiful lake!

This was a nice hike with a variety of terrain: quiet wooded trail (North/Northwest), steep and rocky (West), and paved road along nice cabins (South/Southeast). As others have noted it can be hard to follow in places. Specifically about half way around the West side we lost the trail and you eventually find a paved road going past the firehouse and other cabins. Also about half way around the East side you leave the road and walk through some private property to again find the trail. It’s really helpful to have an offline map downloaded on your phone to stay on track.

There was a little bit of packed snow and ice in places but otherwise conditions were very good.

Such a beautiful and tranquil place! It took me 1.5hrs to hike 2mi. Not because it was difficult- by any means- but, because I kept stopping to soak in the beauty of the environment! Listening to dogs splash in the water, ducks quacking, birds chirping, dip my toes in the cold lake water and filled my lungs with fresh mountain air! It was amazing. Not too many people, either. The trail itself was all parts snowy, muddy, dry, contained puddles, etc. I did this hike in tights and hiking shoes. Definitely recommend if you want to have quiet day hike.

I went around the lake on 1/28/18. I was hopeful about the snow from a couple days prior but had to take my snowshoes off after about 10 minutes. There’s not enough snow for them to be necessary. This lake is a gem, you don’t have to hike long before seeing amazing views! Definitely recommend!

Beautiful hike but as others have said below - the trail is not marked. Starting at the trailhead and going counter clockwise, we made it all the way around the lake in 3 hours, but we were going pretty fast as the sun was going down. A little icy in some parts but once you get to the road past the rock gullies/creek it's all a road. Would be a better hike in summer.

Wasn't able to do entire walk due to hail storm but locals told me last winter kinda ruined the trail so we double backed on the road. Bummed we didn't do the entire hike but had 6yr old with me so overall awesome day. was able to eat ice cream, rent a kayak and play on the beach before the storm. Tried to wait out storm but was getting late. People at the store gave us trash bags to start our hike back and offered to find us a ride. On our way back a gentleman from public works dept gave us a ride back in. Little crazy but overall awesome day and made some great memories with my little one.

Grand views, especially now when the mountains are just crusted with snow. The trail really isn’t that hard to follow - you follow the blue markings on the trees. There are some forks in the trail but as long as you stay close to the lake you won’t get lost. I only went 2.5 miles in (5 miles round-trip) because the trail was blocked by private property. Apparently if you go right (near the fire house) the trail picks up again, but really it’s fine just turning around there.

The trial is easy. You walk around the beautiful lake with peace and harmony.

Great views, but poorly marked trail.

Easy trail ! Beautiful, end of October 2017

We took the loop starting from the right where we passed an old ruin house with a chimney still standing which was very pretty. Going ahead about 1/4 the way it was hard to find the path. you are walking on a road with houses. if you take both forks on the road to the right you'll dead end to the last house on the road, walk as far down to the end and look right. there's a questionable over growing path, go up just a little ways (a yard or two maybe) and hidden to the left the trail continues just over 2 tree logs on the ground. the path is tight but visible which leads to a rocky well recognized path. there must be another way onto it because we T onto the path. we made it half way around the lake in 3 hrs. the path crossed a small downhill creek crossing and fallen but working power line. it wasn't strenuous. we ended up coming across a private large camp property near 1/2 way. we took to the road and came across a cafe we had lunch at. I suggest eating and having a drink there. we did not make the time we wanted and found someone awesome enough to boat us back across. we weren't sure how to find the path on the other side either so we probably would have just walked the road. no one seemed to know about where to find the paths or kept saying there wasn't one. though, I bet there's one on the other side too but we just didn't have the time to find it. great and pretty lake.

Very poorly marked trail, easily get lost I could not i a way to go all the way around the lake. Talking to locals got the same answer, the trail does not go all the way around the lake.

hiked counter-clockwise from the campground with my dog -- ended the hike with a dip in the lake! varied terrain, fair amount of shade and beautiful views of the lake. as others have noted, this particular path isn't always the most obvious trail. had to keep checking my phone to stay on the red line and got off-course a few times. on the south side I walked through sierra camp (refilled my water), passed the fire station (check out the little chapel), then a lot of road which had a fair amount of traffic with narrow margins but got to see various lake homes. re-joined the trail going down what looks like a private drive. no mosquitos in late august.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

I tried to do this loop today- unsuccessfully. This trail was moderately well maintained- but incredibly poorly marked. Once I got away from the camp Ground I had to just trust my gut in determining which forks of the trail to take.

I started from just east of the camp ground trail head. I headed west around the lake. About two and a half miles around the lake. the trail just ends at the Fallen Leaf fire department. After walking through a few private lots trying trying to pick the trail up again, I was redirected to road. Again, there were no markers so I just had to guess where to go. About half a mile down Cathedral Road I took the fork closest to the shore line on to Roatini (sp?). The trail looked like it picks up again, unfortunately I was quickly met with a sign that said "trail not maintained for public use." So I just turned around.

I would totally do this hike again- it was so pretty and there was a lot of shade. I wouldn't do it again alone, and would first stop by a ranger station to talk about how best to navigate the trail.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

This is was an amazing hike. I couldn't have done it without referring to the downloaded map, as some sections were hard to follow. But I referred to the map often & it kept me on track. The hike was beautiful. Got my heart rate up in spots but overall was not too strenuous. Realize a couple of miles in that I forgot snacks, so I was very happy when I walked through stanford's sierra camp & got ice cream. Also saw lots of good birds - ospreys, chickadees, warblers, grouse, robins, jays, common mergansers. I recommend doing it counterclockwise from the start point. It was nice to be in the wilderness first and then on the roads. The only tricky spot is where it shows you to go on a road that is marked private. Do it - you are on a trail again soon. The last mile is hard to follow, just follow the line and stick close to the water and you will see a primitive trail. It's there! Hope to come back and do this again sometime.

Note to Elyse (above): next time follow the map exactly. Follow the red line. You can keep going when you see the "trail not maintained for public use." It's still okay to go, you will just have a couple rough spots on the trail. It's doable!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

I didn't hike , we literally walked to the water fall which is beautiful but too easy.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Loved the views of this trail. Not a ton of elevation change. Half the hike was along a road with lake houses. Cool to see the homes but took away from the trail.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Managed to get around the lake, but lost the trail a few times. Some good scenery. The rock cliff near the waterfall make a good dive when the water levels are high.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Trail was great and longer than 8 miles - poorly marked - missed the trail entrance of the last 3 miles and walked back on the road.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Very hard to stay on trail- not well marked.

Monday, June 26, 2017

The trail near the campground is downright beautiful and a nice place to stretch your legs for an hour or two. But this is not a good hike. Just after the dam, on north end, your choice is either a road not too close or a difficult trail to keep. Most of the southeast end is actually hiking along a road, which is interesting to see the residential water-side homes. But there is also a ton of aggressive mosquitos due to many resting water holes.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Great hike , our dogs did it with ease. Great views, lots of wild animals, birds and enjoyed every minute .

Sunday, June 11, 2017

We stayed at the campground. I would not recommend hiking around the whole lake. After crossing the dam, it's not well marked. Hard to get lost if you stay by the shoreline!