Fallen Leaf Lake Trail

Fallen Leaf Lake Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I tried to do this loop today- unsuccessfully. This trail was moderately well maintained- but incredibly poorly marked. Once I got away from the camp Ground I had to just trust my gut in determining which forks of the trail to take.

I started from just east of the camp ground trail head. I headed west around the lake. About two and a half miles around the lake. the trail just ends at the Fallen Leaf fire department. After walking through a few private lots trying trying to pick the trail up again, I was redirected to road. Again, there were no markers so I just had to guess where to go. About half a mile down Cathedral Road I took the fork closest to the shore line on to Roatini (sp?). The trail looked like it picks up again, unfortunately I was quickly met with a sign that said "trail not maintained for public use." So I just turned around.

I would totally do this hike again- it was so pretty and there was a lot of shade. I wouldn't do it again alone, and would first stop by a ranger station to talk about how best to navigate the trail.

This is was an amazing hike. I couldn't have done it without referring to the downloaded map, as some sections were hard to follow. But I referred to the map often & it kept me on track. The hike was beautiful. Got my heart rate up in spots but overall was not too strenuous. Realize a couple of miles in that I forgot snacks, so I was very happy when I walked through stanford's sierra camp & got ice cream. Also saw lots of good birds - ospreys, chickadees, warblers, grouse, robins, jays, common mergansers. I recommend doing it counterclockwise from the start point. It was nice to be in the wilderness first and then on the roads. The only tricky spot is where it shows you to go on a road that is marked private. Do it - you are on a trail again soon. The last mile is hard to follow, just follow the line and stick close to the water and you will see a primitive trail. It's there! Hope to come back and do this again sometime.

Note to Elyse (above): next time follow the map exactly. Follow the red line. You can keep going when you see the "trail not maintained for public use." It's still okay to go, you will just have a couple rough spots on the trail. It's doable!

I didn't hike , we literally walked to the water fall which is beautiful but too easy.

Loved the views of this trail. Not a ton of elevation change. Half the hike was along a road with lake houses. Cool to see the homes but took away from the trail.

Managed to get around the lake, but lost the trail a few times. Some good scenery. The rock cliff near the waterfall make a good dive when the water levels are high.

Trail was great and longer than 8 miles - poorly marked - missed the trail entrance of the last 3 miles and walked back on the road.