Fall Creek

Fall Creek is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Felton, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The Fall Creek trail follows Fall Creek up the drainage. Explore this beautiful babbling creek and the natural surrounding of Henry Cowell Redwood State Park.

Absolutely beautiful trail for hiking or trail running. The creek in the bottom is such a treat!!

Great hike. Get there early to avoid the crowds. Not an experienced hiker, but was was able to navigate through trail fairly well. If you love the Redwoods and all that it has to offer, you’ll love this hike.

Absolutely beautiful forest with a crystal clear creek providing a lovely soundtrack. )The limestone kilns are pretty cool as well.) This is one of the prettiest forests I’ve seen. Pack a nice lunch and maybe your journal or book -there are many places whee you can step off the trail and just enjoy the setting.

It's like walking along a trail I read from a book / movie! Fabulous!

Awesome! Love the smell of the redwood.

Very good trail. As I read somewhere, the path is laid but the trail is not. Pure wilderness experience with soothing water sounds along side the creek. Big Ben makes an interesting mid point and so does the other spots in between (lost spot, barrel mill site). Didnt found more than dozen people for whole 3 hrs (started 7.30am from parking) and had the whole of forest to explore.

Such a nice trail with lots of shade.

I really enjoyed this hike! We went to the right at the bridge where it splits off. We were glad we did as we hiked down hill more rather than more uphill walking. There is a part where it gets tricky right when you double back. We had no service but the map would still stay up, just without the blue locator dot. When you need to find the trail to double back, you have to cross left over the creek.. that was the only part I found to be tricky. Absolutely gorgeous!!

Great day for a hike! Took some familiar trails and checked out a part of the trail I hadn't been on before.

So perfect! Many different trails to try out. And so much water everywhere! This hike never disappoints.

Hike seemed very pleasant. But, must warn about few adventurous routes we took. There is one deviation where we need to go below and cross over a branch. Instead, we climbed up a non safe path which was leading to nowhere. So we had to comeback. Otherwise, it was just an amazing feeling in the woods.

love it

If you go up the steep end, you'll get a good workout, but it's a beautiful hike! There's a point where the trail drops off (Barrel Mill area) due to, what looks like, a landslide or something. Go down into the creek and walk across the large, downed trees to get back onto the trail. This is the only reason I gave it a 4. Also, it ended up 13 miles from the parking lot. That was using 'map my hike' app. Don't know how accurate it is, but it took me 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

We intend to take fall creek to another trail and loop around, but we got a late start. We ended up hiking the fall creek trail out and back again. Dogs are not allowed and there is a lot of poison oak, however it's completely avoidable if you stay on the trail. Gorgeous redwoods and ferns all alongside a creek. There were a couple of good inclines but spaced enough apart that by the time you get to one, you've forgotten about the last. The trail is blocked due to a landslide at one point, but it's easy enough to circumvent. Beautiful trail, can't wait to try it again.

As of July 2 main trail along Fall Creek is closed 1/2 mile before Barrel Mill due to a slide from winter storms. If you are an experienced scrambler you can get through it by going down to Creek and crossing logs to reconnect to trail. DO NOT GO UP THE STEEP HILLSIDE! Hillside is sand and dangerous.

This is a gem for hikers. You start your hike with the sound of the water flowing through the creek. Then the ascent will bring you in the middle of the redwood forest. It was never boring and definitely the climb was a challenge!

Beautiful trail but ended up a bit longer than 9 miles for us. A portion of the trail on the Fall Creek side is washed away and you have to traverse logs jammed in the river to get around it. Also many downed trees on that side but otherwise awesome!

beautiful and the right amount of challenge for me.

The trail had a pretty difficult incline towards the beginning, but there were no problems. Some of the trail markers were missing or confusing, so I used the map on all trails. There were several small bridges out that you could cross on logs or walk through if you have water proof shoes. There were a few spots where the trail was damaged. One part the trail had fallen completely off the side of the hill, so we had to take an alternate route making the trail 2 miles longer. You can see details of locations if you view my photos. Overall good hike, but a lot of incline and decline. If you go the direction I went to the left at the split then the top of the big incline is at "Big Ben Tree."

Trail above lime quarry washed out in recent storms. Not impassable, but you'll get wet trying.