Fall Canyon Trail

Fall Canyon Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Death Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from October until May.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,155 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Scotty's Canyon: Follow Highway 267 southward to Titus Canyon Road. Turn left on the canyon road and travel about 2.5 miles to the Fall Canyon Trailhead.

It’s a cool canyon but not much to see. It dead ends into a dry fall that you can’t get around.

Cool hike into a canyon, waterfall at the end is disappointing (more of wet rock) but good mix of sun and shade. Don’t do the hike if you’re looking for expansive views but this is a cool spot for a shady getaway in Death Valley

great hike with tall Canyon walls, however it did not feel like it was 2100 elevation gain. another hiker who finished the hike recorded 1200 elevation gain on his device. what do you guys think?

3/27/19: Left the Oasis hotel around 730, arrived at trailhead at about 830. Began hike at about 9. Quick walk around the base of the mountains, then entered the canyons. Very captivating walk under the hills, we saw probably hundreds of butterflies throughout and a bit of water in a rock pit toward the end. The waterfall at the end had a small bit of running water; something I've heard is not common. We couldn't figure out how to safely climb over the waterfall to see the other side, so we returned and ended up hiking back up about halfway down to try at the waterfall again, to no avail, this added about an hour to our time, so without the stop the hike wouldve taken about 2.5 hours, which is not bad. Returned to car at about 12. Something worth mentioning: when we arrived at 830, we were one of two cars in the lot; however when we got off the trail there were about 15 cars and cars parked on the gravel road leading to parking area. There is a bathroom at the trailhead.

Really cool trail done on March 19, 2019. It’s perfect this time of year in early spring. Has a mixture of incline and decline, shade and sunny spots, and awesome rock formations into the canyon. You’re mostly walking on gravel size rocks and dirt. It varies between being looser or more firmly packed. It has an otherworldly feel with countless geologic mysteries that give one a sense of the eons this place has seen. Behind you is the vast expanse of the desert basin of Death Valley.

Date completed: (3/7/19) I did this hike because it was one of the very very few things left to do after a storm had flooded almost every road and closed them. The road getting to the "trail" (I use quotes because it is more of a cross-country hike like all places in DVNP) is doable with a relatively high clearance vehicle. I bet something like a ford focus could make it up. The cool thing about this hike is that it is a great place to feel very small. At times, I had to put my neck back as far as it would go just to see the top of the canyon walls. I hiked this one pretty quickly trying to beat the sunset; 6.6 miles in about 2.5 hours. It was pretty difficult because it is like hiking in slightly thicker sand. Heard the crunch crunching of my boots for hours. The negative is that it isn't the most exciting thing to check out in the park. If you have time and the roads are open, I would definitely be ok without doing this one. Still a fantastic alternative!

Hiked on 2/18. Overall, the final scrambling was quite fun, but the trail itself wasn’t impressive. Nothing like the Narrow in Zion. It took us a mile from the parking lot to the actual canyon, I’ll say there was pretty much no view until you hit the canyon. After entering the canyon, along the way the canyon was pretty wide, and would not narrow down until mile 2.5 from the trailhead. There is a dry waterfall (with tiny stream) at mile 3.2 ish, which the sign says it’s possible to scramble up and keep going. Unfortunately, we found to difficult to do so without proper equipments and secures. Instead, we found a detour and scrambled up the canyon at around mile 3.1. Some rock stacks marked location. After scrambling up, there was actually an established trail with rock marks along the way. Eventually we got to the top of the dry fall, from the side. The scrambling part was fun, but not sure if I would spend 3 hrs again for that scrambling.

We loved the feeling and sense of being small in such a large environment. The canyon walls are very steep and beautiful. It was slightly difficult walking on the gravelly rocky terrain and that made it feel more of a “slog” at times. However this hike just gets better and better as you head into the canyon. Was not too crowded however there were others there.

Thu Mar 29 2018

Deep gravel most of the way which makes it difficult so a decent workout. The dry fall at the end was rather anticlimactic. May be better in a different season. Went in the evening and saw a lot of little bats hunting for bugs.

Tue Jan 17 2017

This was our last hike. It actually rained a couple of drops. Very easy walk between towering cliffs that we couldn't see the tops of because of the clouds. This was easily the most crowded hike we did. There is room for everyone so enjoy the walk.

Mon Apr 04 2016

Extremely cool adventure hike through a wilderness canyon. With a little scrambling skill, you can even get beyond the first dryfall to a narrow slot canyon. Like a lot of Death Valley, you will feel like you are on another planet in Fall Canyon!

Sun Jan 03 2016

Cold but beautiful

Mon Jun 23 2014

I just hiked this in April 2014. I had heard about it, but had never done it. My advice: Take plenty of water and food as Death Valley even in the Spring can get very hot and dry. What I loved about this hike is that it's a long slow slog through a wash full of loose rocks and gravel, so this will give your ankles a workout. And heading back into the canyon, the wash starts out very wide, but it slowly narrows with some awesome and very tall canyon walls. This canyon is just north of Titus Canyon so you get some of the same rock formations and incredible tall canyon walls along the way. We only ran into one other couple along the way, so we really enjoyed the solitude on this hike. We loved the dry falls and all the narrow canyons beyond. Didn't see any big horn sheep, but maybe next time! Highly recommend this trip, but would not recommend it for small children. And as always, bring plenty of water, sun screen, a hat, and food!

Sun Jan 12 2014

easy to moderate hike. The main trail to the dry falls is full of great views. If you climb up past the dry falls, you can continue into the canyon, you'll enter some tight canyon walls which open up to wider canyons. It's a beautiful hike. Take time and watch for Big Horn Sheep! Bring your binoculars!

Thu Mar 22 2012

Hiked the shorter version ( 5m RT) of this trail to the dry waterfall. As most of the hikes in Death Valley it was spectacular. The highlight of the hike was having two big horn sheep scampering in the rocks above me for several minutes. Awesome!

Thu Mar 01 2018