Falcon Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Trabuco Canyon, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 531 feet Route Type: Out & Back

At the time we hiked this trail several trees had fallen over the path, and we accidentally followed an alternate path at the 0.2 mile mark that veered off to the right for 0.2 miles before disappearing into a dead end. We backtracked until we rejoined the actual trail. After carefully picking our way through the overgrowth we enjoyed the trail until the 0.8 mile mark where we stopped for lunch, then headed back.

closed

I would try this trail again but it’s not open at this moment. There were plenty of times you have to get off trail because it’s over ground or trees have fallen. Got to a point where I lost the trail less than 1/3 of the way into it.

Tried to go on 10/12/19 and it’s closed. Caution tape blocking off trailhead and looked pretty overgrown.

Sat Apr 20 2019

This is a fun trail. Although it may be short it does have some good scenery. When your about 1/3rd the way in you will hit pavement. It can be a little confusing as we had to walk the road for a short time to find that the trail starts again at the San Juan trail marker. When back on trail and heading down towards where San Juan Trail and Falcon cross you might encounter a lot of rocks about half the size of a golf ball, be careful not to slip.

Tue Apr 09 2019

Trail was very over grown and tough to follow at times, but my kids and I had a blast.

Sat Apr 06 2019

Sat Feb 17 2018

Very easy. Very short.

Sat May 28 2016

(Mid May) It starts at the entrance of the Falcon group camground. which is just north of Blue Jay campground. after crossing a small wooden bridge the trail splits. I stood to the left and it took me along oak trees and pleanty of shade. great canyon views and plenty of shrubs with lots of spring colors. It then came out adjacent to Blue Jay campground where i stopped and had a picnic breakfast on one of many picnic tables. I then walked on a paved road about a qurter mile and picked up the trail behind some campground restrooms. from there the trail just got prettier and prettier. green shrubs with Purple flowers contrasted beautifully with the rich brown clay dirt path dotted with rocks and in the distance great canyon views. after some distance the trail connects with the San Juan trail. I believe that if i had veered to the right soon after the wooden bridge that is the trail that would of led to upper falls (Upper Falls Trail) Im not certain though. overall I loved this trail and the spring scenery.

Thu Aug 11 2011

This trail has almost no level hiking, either all up or all down, but not that strenous, maybe a moderate climb. It follows a stream bed which is actually spring fed and has some water most of the year. Which is helpful by negaitng carrying water for the pooch. There is a small waterfall about 45 minutes down which provides a perfect place to have some lunch. Last spring I was lucky enough to stumble upon the mating ritual of several salamanders. AWSOME!

Sun May 19 2019