Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED]

Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED] is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Big Sur, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,965 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Please note that as of March 2019, the Ewoldsen Trail remains closed. Please see park's website for the most up-to-date information on trail conditions: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29888 If you only have one day to see the sites, this trail is a good complement to the McWay Falls trail that also starts from the same parking area. Things to see along these trails include old growth redwood forest, scrub landscapes, sweeping canyon and ocean views.

closed

Hiked even when it was closed. Beautiful redwoods at the bottom and overgrown grass when you get higher. Lots of TICKS, we already found 25 on our dog. All the way at the top we had to turn around as there was a fallen tree and we couldn’t complete the loop. Hope they fix it soon, this is my favorite hike

bridge out
closed

This trail is amazing! It’s still closed but the loop is still accessible... when you enter the trail, you will come to a bridge that is being worked on... it’s safe to cross but you will have to climb up to get on it. You can also find a safe spot to cross the stream. It’s not to bad, with some careful stepping you should be able to cross with no trouble. Whether you use the bridge or cross the stream, The trail continues on the other side. You soon come to the first bridge.. good resting point. After that the trail gets a little rough in some areas, with falling trees and branches blocking the path. Just take it slow through some of these areas. the last thing I will say, and the worst part of this trail is the bugs! Ticks... lots of them. PACK REPELLENT! You will need it!! Good luck out there! Enjoy the views!! They are breathtaking!

trail is still closed

beautiful hike, hate that it is closed now!

Scenery: 3.5 Views: 4.5 Difficulty: 4 Crowds: 3 Shade: 2 My 1-5 Rating Scale Comparisons for above: 5 for Scenery; Mcway Falls Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP 4.5 for Scenery: Berry Creek Falls Big Basin State Park 4 for Scenery: Steep Ravine Trail 5 for Views: Nimitz Trail Tilden Park 5 for Views: Ridge Trail San Bruno Mtn Park 4.5 for Views Montara Mtn Summit San Pedro County Park 4 for Views Rancho Canada Del Oro Bald Peaks trail 5 for Difficulty: Junipero Serra Peak 4 for Difficulty: Mount El Sombroso Loop Trail

Wish fixing this trail was a priority. It is really a gem and I want to take my kids back.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

great trail

Thursday, August 09, 2018

Agree with Chris S. Did this when it was closed today. Had to literally crawl through branches at some points but was doable (I'm 6ft and was wearing a backpack). Very much worth the scratches.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

I did this hike while it was closed. When you first get onto the trail, stay close to the river, and don't go up the stairs that are being worked on. Eventually you'll veer to the right side of the river. It's quite a hike up (mile or so) until you reach the loop. Once you reach the loop there are numerous sections where trees are fallen, nothing that you can't get through though. I went clockwise on the loop, not to bad. There was one section that was very bad where I had to climb up the side of the mountain and back down which was VERY steep. I basically slid down. That was the worst part of the hike. The views were outstanding - although when we went it was foggy. Rivers, bridges, redwoods, ocean views, incredible tree views. Overall a great hike. And m GF didn't kill me!

Friday, February 09, 2018

Has anyone done this hike while CLOSED?

Friday, February 02, 2018

thanks Liz H. Appreciate the info. Any plans to repair? I am already planning a visit back to the area. Would love to know if it will be an option?

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

I work for parks in the Big Sur sector and I can tell you that this trail is closed because sections of it are gone. You will lose the trail very quickly. Please don’t ignore ‘AREA CLOSED’ signs. They are there for a good reason! Happy trails.

Friday, December 29, 2017

Even though this trail is closed, has anyone done this and gotten away with it?

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

This is a question for Angela below. Did the hike get washed out or are they being too restrictive with the closure in your opinion. I love this hike and want to do it over christmas break. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Steep, steady, and unrelenting incline on the way up which makes the stunning coastal and forest views all the more worth it.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

We were here today and still closed as are many inland hikes. Looks like months before they get to it. There are many plces washed out...

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

We were there today 10/31/17 - and trail was closed. Really wanted to hike it anyway - so beautiful - not sure why it’s closed - bummer!!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Wish i knew the answer to your question. I am driving up from socal and would love to do this trail. On the ca.gov website it shows closed but I bet there are many ppl ignoring those signs.

Monday, October 23, 2017

I see a lot of people reviewing this trail recently. Is it closed or can we access it?

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Beautiful trail!

Thursday, September 14, 2017

The hike was difficult but totally worth it. We took our time taking in all the sites.

Friday, August 25, 2017

April 2016. One of the best hikes I've ever done. The mix of terrain, scenery, and wildlife was incredible. Redwoods, brooks, wildflowers, condors, and ocean were all a part of our day.

Friday, July 14, 2017

My favorite hike so far! Vast nature ... trees are amazing and suddenly hiking up it all opens up and you see out into the pacific ... breathtaking!

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

One of my all time favorite hikes. Very lush and beautiful forest in the beginning with a decent trek uphill, but once you crest you get to see beautiful ocean views, the top of all the trees and even a grassy hill side to relax on. Worth the time and effort.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

In my opinion, one of the all-time great hikes in CA. Lots or views of the ocean once you get about half way up (on ocean side of circular loop). Very peaceful hike, can spend hours on top. I've done this hike approximately 10 times. Takes about an hour to get up. Love the Big Sur coast. I believe I've seen this hike called strenuous. But it's not really that strenuous. We've take our kids up it a number of times!