Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED]

Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED] is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Big Sur, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,965 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Please note that as of March 2019, the Ewoldsen Trail remains closed. Please see park's website for the most up-to-date information on trail conditions: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29888 If you only have one day to see the sites, this trail is a good complement to the McWay Falls trail that also starts from the same parking area. Things to see along these trails include old growth redwood forest, scrub landscapes, sweeping canyon and ocean views.

You know, its really annoying that this trail has been closed for years now considering you have to pay $12 to park here. And the closure isn't even necessary, as I've found several SP closures unnecessary. The only issue is the bridge right at the start doesn't have steps going up it and the West side of the loop needs some maintenance (2 or 3 trees down, some overgrowth - nothing major). Really simple stuff that volunteers could do in one day or the CCC or whoever. Yet the state parks want to drag their feet; big surprise. The good thing perhaps is you find little to no one on this trail because of the closure.

closed

Beautiful trail that ends up near a small waterfall. It is closed right now, but I just walked past the signs and the trail was still accessible. There was a bridge being constructed but it was safe to cross. If you hike through about a mile, you'll end up at a waterfall and you can continue to walk up past it, after a bit of climbing (not too hard). My only recommendation is be careful of poison oak as you're walking. It's also a good idea to go to McWay Falls Lookout and do this hike at the same time because they share a parking lot and it cost $10 to park inside.

closed

Hiked even when it was closed. Beautiful redwoods at the bottom and overgrown grass when you get higher. Lots of TICKS, we already found 25 on our dog. All the way at the top we had to turn around as there was a fallen tree and we couldn’t complete the loop. Hope they fix it soon, this is my favorite hike

bridge out
closed

This trail is amazing! It’s still closed but the loop is still accessible... when you enter the trail, you will come to a bridge that is being worked on... it’s safe to cross but you will have to climb up to get on it. You can also find a safe spot to cross the stream. It’s not to bad, with some careful stepping you should be able to cross with no trouble. Whether you use the bridge or cross the stream, The trail continues on the other side. You soon come to the first bridge.. good resting point. After that the trail gets a little rough in some areas, with falling trees and branches blocking the path. Just take it slow through some of these areas. the last thing I will say, and the worst part of this trail is the bugs! Ticks... lots of them. PACK REPELLENT! You will need it!! Good luck out there! Enjoy the views!! They are breathtaking!

trail is still closed

Fri Nov 09 2018

beautiful hike, hate that it is closed now!

Sun Oct 07 2018

Scenery: 3.5 Views: 4.5 Difficulty: 4 Crowds: 3 Shade: 2 My 1-5 Rating Scale Comparisons for above: 5 for Scenery; Mcway Falls Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP 4.5 for Scenery: Berry Creek Falls Big Basin State Park 4 for Scenery: Steep Ravine Trail 5 for Views: Nimitz Trail Tilden Park 5 for Views: Ridge Trail San Bruno Mtn Park 4.5 for Views Montara Mtn Summit San Pedro County Park 4 for Views Rancho Canada Del Oro Bald Peaks trail 5 for Difficulty: Junipero Serra Peak 4 for Difficulty: Mount El Sombroso Loop Trail

Sun Sep 30 2018

Wish fixing this trail was a priority. It is really a gem and I want to take my kids back.

Sat Aug 18 2018

great trail

Thu Aug 09 2018

Agree with Chris S. Did this when it was closed today. Had to literally crawl through branches at some points but was doable (I'm 6ft and was wearing a backpack). Very much worth the scratches.

Wed Apr 25 2018

I did this hike while it was closed. When you first get onto the trail, stay close to the river, and don't go up the stairs that are being worked on. Eventually you'll veer to the right side of the river. It's quite a hike up (mile or so) until you reach the loop. Once you reach the loop there are numerous sections where trees are fallen, nothing that you can't get through though. I went clockwise on the loop, not to bad. There was one section that was very bad where I had to climb up the side of the mountain and back down which was VERY steep. I basically slid down. That was the worst part of the hike. The views were outstanding - although when we went it was foggy. Rivers, bridges, redwoods, ocean views, incredible tree views. Overall a great hike. And m GF didn't kill me!

Fri Feb 09 2018

Has anyone done this hike while CLOSED?

Fri Feb 02 2018

thanks Liz H. Appreciate the info. Any plans to repair? I am already planning a visit back to the area. Would love to know if it will be an option?

Wed Jan 17 2018

I work for parks in the Big Sur sector and I can tell you that this trail is closed because sections of it are gone. You will lose the trail very quickly. Please don’t ignore ‘AREA CLOSED’ signs. They are there for a good reason! Happy trails.

Fri Dec 29 2017

Even though this trail is closed, has anyone done this and gotten away with it?

Wed Dec 13 2017

This is a question for Angela below. Did the hike get washed out or are they being too restrictive with the closure in your opinion. I love this hike and want to do it over christmas break. Thanks!

Tue Nov 28 2017

Steep, steady, and unrelenting incline on the way up which makes the stunning coastal and forest views all the more worth it.

Sat Nov 25 2017

We were here today and still closed as are many inland hikes. Looks like months before they get to it. There are many plces washed out...

Wed Nov 01 2017

We were there today 10/31/17 - and trail was closed. Really wanted to hike it anyway - so beautiful - not sure why it’s closed - bummer!!

Tue Oct 24 2017

Wish i knew the answer to your question. I am driving up from socal and would love to do this trail. On the ca.gov website it shows closed but I bet there are many ppl ignoring those signs.

Mon Oct 23 2017

I see a lot of people reviewing this trail recently. Is it closed or can we access it?

Sun Oct 01 2017