Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED]

Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED] is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Big Sur, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

closed

You've got your old growth redwood forest, scrub landscapes, sweeping canyon and ocean views, and a nice bit of elevation gain. If you only have one day to see the sites, this trail is a good complement to the McWay Falls trail that also starts from the same parking area.

great trail

Agree with Chris S. Did this when it was closed today. Had to literally crawl through branches at some points but was doable (I'm 6ft and was wearing a backpack). Very much worth the scratches.

I did this hike while it was closed. When you first get onto the trail, stay close to the river, and don't go up the stairs that are being worked on. Eventually you'll veer to the right side of the river. It's quite a hike up (mile or so) until you reach the loop. Once you reach the loop there are numerous sections where trees are fallen, nothing that you can't get through though. I went clockwise on the loop, not to bad. There was one section that was very bad where I had to climb up the side of the mountain and back down which was VERY steep. I basically slid down. That was the worst part of the hike. The views were outstanding - although when we went it was foggy. Rivers, bridges, redwoods, ocean views, incredible tree views. Overall a great hike. And m GF didn't kill me!

Has anyone done this hike while CLOSED?

thanks Liz H. Appreciate the info. Any plans to repair? I am already planning a visit back to the area. Would love to know if it will be an option?

I work for parks in the Big Sur sector and I can tell you that this trail is closed because sections of it are gone. You will lose the trail very quickly. Please don’t ignore ‘AREA CLOSED’ signs. They are there for a good reason! Happy trails.

Even though this trail is closed, has anyone done this and gotten away with it?

This is a question for Angela below. Did the hike get washed out or are they being too restrictive with the closure in your opinion. I love this hike and want to do it over christmas break. Thanks!

Steep, steady, and unrelenting incline on the way up which makes the stunning coastal and forest views all the more worth it.

We were here today and still closed as are many inland hikes. Looks like months before they get to it. There are many plces washed out...

We were there today 10/31/17 - and trail was closed. Really wanted to hike it anyway - so beautiful - not sure why it’s closed - bummer!!

Wish i knew the answer to your question. I am driving up from socal and would love to do this trail. On the ca.gov website it shows closed but I bet there are many ppl ignoring those signs.

I see a lot of people reviewing this trail recently. Is it closed or can we access it?

Beautiful trail!

Thursday, September 14, 2017

The hike was difficult but totally worth it. We took our time taking in all the sites.

Friday, August 25, 2017

April 2016. One of the best hikes I've ever done. The mix of terrain, scenery, and wildlife was incredible. Redwoods, brooks, wildflowers, condors, and ocean were all a part of our day.

Friday, July 14, 2017

My favorite hike so far! Vast nature ... trees are amazing and suddenly hiking up it all opens up and you see out into the pacific ... breathtaking!

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

One of my all time favorite hikes. Very lush and beautiful forest in the beginning with a decent trek uphill, but once you crest you get to see beautiful ocean views, the top of all the trees and even a grassy hill side to relax on. Worth the time and effort.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

In my opinion, one of the all-time great hikes in CA. Lots or views of the ocean once you get about half way up (on ocean side of circular loop). Very peaceful hike, can spend hours on top. I've done this hike approximately 10 times. Takes about an hour to get up. Love the Big Sur coast. I believe I've seen this hike called strenuous. But it's not really that strenuous. We've take our kids up it a number of times!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Completed this trail for my birthday in May of 2016. Weather was absolutely beautiful, hot but still great. Decently challenging hike! Also right by McWay Falls so make sure you check that out while you are there as well!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Great trail- would recommend this over Yosemite any day! Redwoods and ocean!

Friday, December 30, 2016

Beach views and redwoods? Winning. Definitely got my heart going. Lots of uphill. Loved it.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Awesome hike- prepare to feel the burn! Bring water and don't bother attempting this in jeans.

Thursday, December 01, 2016

Nice trail with lots of great views. I wouldn't say it was strenuous though. More moderate, just lots of uphill.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Absolutely beautiful! One of the best hikes I have ever been on.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

great hike through beautiful scenery. view from the ridge of the water is awesome. be aware of the fog...or you may be disappointed when you get to the top.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Incredible views of the ocean. I got poison oak of this trail so be careful

Friday, August 26, 2016

Great hike, half shaded, the other half gets hot. Beautiful trail!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Sept 2014 - This is a challenging hike with a spectacular payoff: unrivaled views of the iconic cliffsides. The fauna is fantastic. I only ding it for being a bit monotonous at times; large portions are chalk full of switchbacks that can feel repetitive and get old quickly. Still, the views and the trees make this hike worth the effort. [4/5]

Monday, August 08, 2016

A challenging hike with amazing pay-off! We went counter-clockwise around the loop and took the spur at the top of the loop. Most hikers skip this spur so you have one of the most amazing vistas all to yourself. Feels like the top of the world - the ocean stretches out below you for days and days. Love love love!