Ewoldsen Trail (CLOSED)

Ewoldsen Trail (CLOSED) is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Big Sur, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

closed

You've got your old growth redwood forest, scrub landscapes, sweeping canyon and ocean views, and a nice bit of elevation gain. If you only have one day to see the sites, this trail is a good complement to the McWay Falls trail that also starts from the same parking area.

Beautiful trail!

The hike was difficult but totally worth it. We took our time taking in all the sites.

April 2016. One of the best hikes I've ever done. The mix of terrain, scenery, and wildlife was incredible. Redwoods, brooks, wildflowers, condors, and ocean were all a part of our day.

My favorite hike so far! Vast nature ... trees are amazing and suddenly hiking up it all opens up and you see out into the pacific ... breathtaking!

One of my all time favorite hikes. Very lush and beautiful forest in the beginning with a decent trek uphill, but once you crest you get to see beautiful ocean views, the top of all the trees and even a grassy hill side to relax on. Worth the time and effort.

In my opinion, one of the all-time great hikes in CA. Lots or views of the ocean once you get about half way up (on ocean side of circular loop). Very peaceful hike, can spend hours on top. I've done this hike approximately 10 times. Takes about an hour to get up. Love the Big Sur coast. I believe I've seen this hike called strenuous. But it's not really that strenuous. We've take our kids up it a number of times!

Completed this trail for my birthday in May of 2016. Weather was absolutely beautiful, hot but still great. Decently challenging hike! Also right by McWay Falls so make sure you check that out while you are there as well!

Great trail- would recommend this over Yosemite any day! Redwoods and ocean!

Beach views and redwoods? Winning. Definitely got my heart going. Lots of uphill. Loved it.

Awesome hike- prepare to feel the burn! Bring water and don't bother attempting this in jeans.

Nice trail with lots of great views. I wouldn't say it was strenuous though. More moderate, just lots of uphill.

Absolutely beautiful! One of the best hikes I have ever been on.