Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED] is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Big Sur, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,965 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Please note that as of March 2019, the Ewoldsen Trail remains closed. Please see park's website for the most up-to-date information on trail conditions: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29888 If you only have one day to see the sites, this trail is a good complement to the McWay Falls trail that also starts from the same parking area. Things to see along these trails include old growth redwood forest, scrub landscapes, sweeping canyon and ocean views.

fee

Trailhead was closed as of 5/7 (not sure if covid related or something else?) but you can just step over the chain and go in anyway. Trail is pretty well marked and has some nice looking vegetation, but it’s very overgrown and we stepped through about a hundred or so spiderwebs, so it must not have been trafficked in a while. There were a TON of bugs buzzing around my face and biting me so it got rather annoying. Also, there may be poison ivy, as I got some reaction on my ankle and knee, and my friend found a tick on them after. It is about 6 miles total although my map doesn’t show as my phone died fairly quickly after the first part of the loop. When you get to the loop part, I’d recommend going left towards the path where you have to climb over a large fallen tree. Wouldn’t do this one again however.

Great trail, very diverse. There is a bug in the description of the hike, and mileage is counted twice. It’s about a 3.5 miles hike

recorded Ewoldsen Trail [CLOSED]

closed

“Closed” but hikeable. Not for people who don’t typically hike. At least a dozen downed trees. Some really large ones. Stunning hike.

I did this hike a few years ago and it's one of the best hikes I've ever done because of the views. I am now taking my wife in 2 weeks to CA and want to do this hike, but have read that it is obviously closed, but that people are still doing it. Is it that simple to park at the McWay falls parking lot and just walk around the "trail closed" sign? There won't be anybody there to stop us? I hope there's nothing to stop us because I really want my wife to see this hike. Are there any other similar hikes nearby?

bridge out
closed

Great trail! Yes, the trail is closed. There's a bridge where the steps are out and several trees along the trail that are blocking it. They are doable, though a couple are a little tricky. I stayed in one of the environmental campsites at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, and just couldn't pass up hiking this trail. Because it was January, there were no bothersome bugs and the temps were in high 50s. It was a beautiful sunny day! Nice workout, beautiful scenery!

Did the trail on the second day after raining, the trail was already dried and also not dusty. There were 5 or 6 falling trees that blocked the road and required a little bit climbing, but we were still able to pass. Nice thing about the winter is probably that there’s no bugs at all. The stunning views is on the coastal side of the loop, but I would still suggest to do the loop counterclockwise - much more expectations to have great views at later part!

You know, its really annoying that this trail has been closed for years now considering you have to pay $12 to park here. And the closure isn't even necessary, as I've found several SP closures unnecessary. The only issue is the bridge right at the start doesn't have steps going up it and the West side of the loop needs some maintenance (2 or 3 trees down, some overgrowth - nothing major). Really simple stuff that volunteers could do in one day or the CCC or whoever. Yet the state parks want to drag their feet; big surprise. The good thing perhaps is you find little to no one on this trail because of the closure.

closed

Beautiful trail that ends up near a small waterfall. It is closed right now, but I just walked past the signs and the trail was still accessible. There was a bridge being constructed but it was safe to cross. If you hike through about a mile, you'll end up at a waterfall and you can continue to walk up past it, after a bit of climbing (not too hard). My only recommendation is be careful of poison oak as you're walking. It's also a good idea to go to McWay Falls Lookout and do this hike at the same time because they share a parking lot and it cost $10 to park inside.

Thu May 16 2019

Hiked even when it was closed. Beautiful redwoods at the bottom and overgrown grass when you get higher. Lots of TICKS, we already found 25 on our dog. All the way at the top we had to turn around as there was a fallen tree and we couldn’t complete the loop. Hope they fix it soon, this is my favorite hike

bridge out
Sun Apr 07 2019

This trail is amazing! It’s still closed but the loop is still accessible... when you enter the trail, you will come to a bridge that is being worked on... it’s safe to cross but you will have to climb up to get on it. You can also find a safe spot to cross the stream. It’s not to bad, with some careful stepping you should be able to cross with no trouble. Whether you use the bridge or cross the stream, The trail continues on the other side. You soon come to the first bridge.. good resting point. After that the trail gets a little rough in some areas, with falling trees and branches blocking the path. Just take it slow through some of these areas. the last thing I will say, and the worst part of this trail is the bugs! Ticks... lots of them. PACK REPELLENT! You will need it!! Good luck out there! Enjoy the views!! They are breathtaking!

Wed Feb 06 2019

trail is still closed

Fri Nov 09 2018

beautiful hike, hate that it is closed now!

Sun Oct 07 2018

Scenery: 3.5 Views: 4.5 Difficulty: 4 Crowds: 3 Shade: 2 My 1-5 Rating Scale Comparisons for above: 5 for Scenery; Mcway Falls Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP 4.5 for Scenery: Berry Creek Falls Big Basin State Park 4 for Scenery: Steep Ravine Trail 5 for Views: Nimitz Trail Tilden Park 5 for Views: Ridge Trail San Bruno Mtn Park 4.5 for Views Montara Mtn Summit San Pedro County Park 4 for Views Rancho Canada Del Oro Bald Peaks trail 5 for Difficulty: Junipero Serra Peak 4 for Difficulty: Mount El Sombroso Loop Trail

Sun Sep 30 2018

Wish fixing this trail was a priority. It is really a gem and I want to take my kids back.

Sat Aug 18 2018

great trail

Thu Aug 09 2018

Agree with Chris S. Did this when it was closed today. Had to literally crawl through branches at some points but was doable (I'm 6ft and was wearing a backpack). Very much worth the scratches.