Eureka Peak Trail

Eureka Peak Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yucca Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 9.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,758 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The views from Eureka are gorgeous! I did it as a loop up the Eureka trail and down the Burnt Hill trail, which I recommend-- you'll have views of the San Gabriels coming down the BH trail (don't get that on the Eureka). Trail is almost entirely deep, loose sand (like a beach) which makes for slow going-- plan for it taking a bit more time than the mileage would indicate. Not sure if I'd rate this as hard-- you definitely will know you went on a hike, but nothing technical. It's a steady gain for most of the way up with a sharp pitch up at the end.

Hiked 10-26-19. Beautiful day with decent weather. No shade throughout hike and no water sources. Really a stunning landscape with scattered Joshua trees in abundance. The view from the summit of Eureka is delightful with views of Baldy in the distance. Make sure to bring ample water and sunscreen.

Beautiful hike with lots of wild flowers. There are several trails from black mountain camp ground that can take you to the main peak trail, not really sure which route we ended up on. Most of the elevation gain is at the end, otherwise it’s a pretty moderate hike.

This hike out to Eureka Peak is not very challenging and not exactly what I was looking for today. Regardless, it was still a good time and I liked to see the many beautiful Joshua trees and unique landscape of the park from the top of the peak. Be prepared to do the entire hike on sand. The first mile and a half is in soft sand, which then becomes slightly more gravely. The last mile or so to the peak are more steep and can be difficult if you move at a fast pace! The view at the top is great. You can see both San Jacinto and Gorgonio peaks, which are still very much covered in snow from this vantage point. Also, don’t underestimate the power of the sun! Even though it was partly cloudy I still got very burnt.

First off, my Garmin logged this trail at 10.5 miles (from the visitor center). Not 9.9 miles. Second, the majority of this trail is soft sand, which is miserable. But that’s the case with most trails in Black Rock Canyon, so if you come here, just except your ankles to get abused. Besides those two things, the trail isn’t that difficult until the last .75 miles or so when it gets pretty steep. We’re fairly novice hikers so it took us 5.5 hours round trip. As everyone else says, bring A LOT of water, and food. Views from the top are pretty darn nice, but not as good as Warren Peak. Recommended if you are in the area and you have 4-6 hours to kill.

Tue Jun 05 2018

The grade going up is pretty gentle, but thanks to the deep and soft sand it was a LOT of work. Bring LOTS of water! We took Burnt Hill on the way up and Eureka back down which provided a nice variety of scenery. Deducting a star because finding the Eureka Peak trail head was a pain in the neck (hence why we ended up taking Burnt Hill up).

Wed Jan 31 2018

Wash running In a tight canyon for the first 4 miles. Took the turnoff to canyon view trail and back to black rock. Lots of up and down elevation change on canyon view. A challenging but rewarding 7 miles. Don’t step in the horse poop!

Mon Oct 23 2017

We went up the Burnt Hill Trail and came down the Eureka Peak Trail. Wasn't a fan of the sand hiking up the elevation, but the trail back was nice. Completely different scenery than the way up. Worth the view but the sand definitely kicks your butt!

Tue Apr 04 2017

This is a horse trail. I even tried to switch it up and take different trails to the top, but everything is a horse trail. Lots of manure, lots of flies and A LOT of deep sand, all of which did not make for a very enjoyable hike. I had to empty out my boots at least three times and worked twice as hard since I was basically climbing a 5 mile long sand dune. Scenery was alright, some wild flowers, but nothing spectacular. Top was nice. Would not recommend, unless you're a horse.

Tue Jan 10 2017

Fantastic view, the trail system and terrain is different from other hikes in the park making it enjoyable. Yes there is also a well maintained dirt road to the top as well, easily traffic-able by any style vehicle. Hiking it is more enjoyable and rewarding!

Wed Nov 23 2016

the hike was nice although it was very cold out. the views from the peak were great. once at the top go to the right and then go up to the left as well because views are great from both spots. the one trail the Burnt something was 2.5 miles and so boring and never-ending to me. on the way back we decided to take the canyon view trail and it was awesome. it was 1.3 miles but felt longer to me. most of the hike was in sand so that made the workout really worth it. the two women at the check in were so nice and helpful. they gave us a map and highlighted a route for us. again I would skip the Burnt trail though. oh and we did see one deer. enjoy.

Sun Jan 24 2016

Great trail, a lot of up hill!!!!!

Thu Sep 08 2011