Euchre Bar Trail

Euchre Bar Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dutch Flat, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,500 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is the shortest of the nine access trails into the North Fork American River canyon, and the only one with a bridge over the river. It can be done either as an out-and-back trail to the bridge, or a rim-to-rim trail via Dorer Ranch Road, where it passes some old mining equipment.

Hiked to the bridge and back. Tough hike up and.down, but near perfect conditions. Hardly any people and no bugs. Was glad I had trekking poles. Leaves make things a bit slippery but not bad. Dog loved the hike.

Hiked from the restroom down to mile 1.9 and back. Going down was a bit slippery due to oak leaves and a bit of frost, but with good boots and trekking poles was no problem. Recommend don’t drive past restroom without serious 4x4. The moss on the oak and bay laurel trees was awesome... so green and lush. The river was amazingly clear and with big pools, rapids and falls. Poison oak is plentiful but mostly avoidable. Great hike!

This trail is super overgrown beyond the bridge. My dog and I tried going further, but it’s all poison oak and the trail is barely visible - not worth it. I will say the bridge and water are beautiful, and I’d consider coming back here to swim (the water is so clear you can see straight through to the bottom). We didn’t see anyone else on our hike today which was nice. The bugs aren’t TOO bad if you go early morning. We started hiking around 7:30am, finished around 10am, and I didn’t get bit. I used strong bug spray twice tho. The views are gorgeous from the beginning, but most of the trail is steep descent to the bridge and then you basically have to turn around and do a super steep uphill climb the whole second half. So unless I come back to swim, I def wouldn’t do this hike again.

Switchbacks all the way down to a footbridge over the river. Mosquitoville!

Do not attempt this hike without bug spray. They will eat you alive! Make sure you bring a lot of water. The hike was beautiful and definitely worth the challenge!

Too much mosquitoes. Bug spray didn’t work at all. I’ve got 47 bites on left arm, 27 on right and 38 on both legs. I was wearing long sleeves top and long pants.. Too hot, no breeze.

This trail is good but my group did get lost a few times. Right after the bridge it’s hard to tell where you’re supposed to go. We ended up turning around and going back up because every continuation trail we took led us to a dead end. Definitely don’t take the flat trail to the left after the bridge. It’s pretty narrow and sketch. If you fall, you’re going down into the river. It also dead ends so you’re going to need to turn around anyways. The climb back up is challenging! Be prepared!

Pretty challenging

Tough trail but it was a good time. Lots of ticks so check your dog's fur often. Also saw some poison oak so be on the look out.

Nice trail. However after the bridge we took the wrong trail. Instead of taking the trail on the left that goes up, we took the bottom trail that runs by the river. Very scary and narrow trail and we reached a dead end that looks like a Jurassic Park.

Hiked January 2019. This trail has a very steep descent at the beginning (so of course you are in for a challenge on the way back). There were a lot of leaves covering the trail that made it slippery when descending and ascending. The picnic area at the turn around point was a nice spot for lunch and this was a good spot to shoot water pictures. There was a tarp in the trees (homeless?) and fresh beer cans (kids?) off one road near the picnic area. Be wary and do this with a group.

Thu Jan 10 2019

Wear comfortable shoes, shoes that don’t let your toes ride against the tip. I thought my shoes were fine but going down the trail can be so steep I was literally running down the trail hahaha. Fun experience but take shoes that are really prepared for the descent and incline. My feet were hurting real bad after the hike. Literally had the whole trail to myself the day I went. Love the river! Hike wasn’t too long but it was pretty rough to me and I would consider myself an average hiker. Bring tons of water!

Sat Jan 05 2019

Completed the hike today and sure enough it was a challenge, the nearly 2,000ft change in elevation in under 2 miles requires some serious work both going to the river and coming back out. Conditions: The path was totally clear of obstacles (prior pictures show downed trees), however it was frustrating to see how many people disrespect the area by tossing their empty water containers off the side of the trail. I’d suggest that everyone who reads this and completes the trail take out at least one piece of garbage with them, we can’t stop idiots from tossing trash but we can at least help keep it clean. Recommendations: The hike can be a long one so I’d suggest getting there early, it took me a little over an hour to get down to the bridge and the trail still continues another 2.5 miles past that. I’d highly suggest trekking poles, save your knees some unnecessary strain, because the hike out will totally kick your butt. Took me about two hours from the bridge to the car. I’d also suggest some shoes with a good hiking tread, I made the bad choice of opting out for tennis shoes today instead of my hiking boots- bad idea. My shoes had a very slick tread design and the majority of the trail is covered in very slippery oak leafs, so do as I say not as I do and you’ll prevent yourself from slipping and falling. As always bring LOTS of water, the only water source is a small spring (I always carry a sayer water filter, super light and fits on to any standard plastic water bottle) near the parking area so there will be no water options while going up that crazy climb. The trail was very lonely and all though I didn’t see any critters or signs of them other reviewers have stated finding Bear scat during their hikes- Consider bear spray. I hope you’ll enjoy it, it was a blast! Check out my IG for pics of the hike @alvarado_dan_

Mon Dec 31 2018

If someone finds a Camillus knife out the can you let me know it fell off my bag should be close to the bridge

Fri Nov 23 2018

hiked last spring befor the snow melted an i could go farther up the hill this tral will make you go for the hills

Mon Oct 08 2018

A very strenuous hike to the actual Euchre Bar and back out of the canyon. Absolute solitude with a gorgeous suspension bridge over the North Fork American, occasional views of the undammed river canyon (and Generation Gap whitewater run). Bring lots of water, sunscreen and a good meal.

Sat Sep 15 2018

Starts to get difficult but the views are beautiful! I did run into a lot of fresh bear poop! Everywhere so I turned back. Definitely hike in groups

Sat Sep 15 2018

I've done this hike several times. Unfortunately, the way back up never seems any easier (but what's a hike without a little or a lot of heart pumping and sweat inducing glory?). It is very steep though, both down and up. I would recommend people with bad knees or ankles to keep braces handy or bring trekking poles. And water, it's not a nature stroll in the city so come prepared. Due to it's difficulty it's normally a very secluded trail which adds to its loveliness even more.

Fri Sep 14 2018

Hike down and up was not especially scenic. River spot was awesome. Good swimming and rock jumping. Water is crystal clear. No one was out there when I went. I did hike down around 4 pm mid September. The bugs were bad. Really really bad. I inhaled/ swallowed a dozen at least. They swarmed my dog and my face constantly even though I’d used bug spray. Felt like the only break I got from em was when I was underwater. The elevation gain from the bridge back up to the trailhead is less than 2K per my Garmin. Nice for a quick work out. Oh and when you’re driving out there there’s a right turn before you get to the restrooms that provides awesome views of the canyon. Beautiful sunset spot

Mon Sep 03 2018

The hike back up was definitely hard. Bring bug spray, there was a constant swarm of gnats in my face along most of the trail.

Wed Aug 22 2018

One of my favorites for getting in hiking shape. The trail is steep but well groomed although when the oak leaves build up, it can be a bit slick. It is 2 miles from the restroom to the river and the bridge crossing. There are a couple of trails that go beyond the bridge including a trail that follows the river upstream where you will find abandoned mining equipment and walls of an old stone house.

Tue Aug 21 2018

Great swim and worth the climb out!!

Tue Jul 31 2018

New to all trails and thought how hard could a trail rated hard be. It was hard. Super steep on my way down I seriously thought to myself "this is going to suck coming back up"..... and it did. The river at the bottom was great super clear and calm by the bridge. I brought my 1 year old german shepard and she did fine but I could tell she was not feeling it. Lots of poison oak and mosquitos. I didn't bring repellent and I wish I did. it was pretty bad for me AND the dog. About 3/4 the way back up I almost stepped on a rattlesnake right in the middle of the trail. Had to jump and yank my dog out of the way. I don't hike as much as I'd like too and if you don't get out to hike much I'd recommend a different hike to get a little more in shape before this. My legs are jello now.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Beautiful trail! It...is...difficult! Come prepared! I didn’t and payed the price. I vomited but luckily enough some people on the trail helped me out by giving me water and electrolytes. Please be careful and bring enough water or know when to call it quits. Aside from that it was a very pretty trail!