Euchre Bar Trail

Euchre Bar Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dutch Flat, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is the shortest of the nine access trails into the North Fork American River canyon, and the only one with a bridge over the river. It can be done either as an out-and-back trail to the bridge, or a rim-to-rim trail via Dorer Ranch Road, where it passes some old mining equipment.

I would rate this hike as better if the sun hadn’t dried everything out so much already when it’s only March. I started my hike at 1200 and it was 74 degrees outside, so I suggest you guys start this hike out early in the morning. I would definitely agree with the hard rating, it’s consistently steep downhill all the way down to the bridge and coming back up hill is doable but it takes a while. I walked down for 30 minutes and drank half my nalgene water and decided it was time to hike back up and to finish it on another day. The directions given were great and led me right to the spot. There was still a couple small patches of snow on the drive up there which was beautiful, and there are bathrooms there at the parking destination. The view from the parking area is the best view out of the whole hike, truly was beautiful from there.

It was an amazing beautiful hike! Took me roughly an hour going down to the bridge. Make sure so bring lots of water, good shoes, and maybe grab a walking stick to help down. It was roughly 65 degrees and it was perfect out (its March). Lots of butterfly’s out and cool rusted bikes and cars to find. The way back up IS HARD!! All incline, took about an hour and forty mins to go back up. But very rewarding climbing the entire mountain & a gorgeous part of the river.

Be prepared to sweat on the last mile back. The elevation gain is insane (close to 2,000 feet). A sunny, cool day in February was perfect for this hike. I couldn’t imagine doing it in the heat except there is a STUNNING water hole about 1.5 miles into the hike at the suspension bridge that would be nice to cool off in. The water was incredible. We only hiked from the trailhead to the bridge and back. It was more than enough and I feel very accomplished. I’d recommend this hike to anyone who is up for a challenge and enjoys beautiful views.

Amazing hike that's great for when you not only want to totally escape from the city but when you also seek a challenge. Like the other reviews say, it's very steep. It's like a 2500 ft. descent to start, and it killed my toes because they kept getting jammed up in the front of my shoes going down such a steep grade. Going up was actually easier! It took me about 40 minutes to get down to the bridge, I continued past the bridge about a 1/4 mile and had to turn around because it was getting dark, and it then took 1 hour to get back up. So plan on a 2 to 3 hour hike depending on how much farther past the bridge you decide to go. All in all it was worth the views and the quietness, but I'll only go again when I want to really challenge myself, because it was certainly a tough hike!

P.S.... definitely wear pants and bring repellant.. you'll thank me later!

The Trail:
Be advised, this trail is not for the faint of heart. Very steep, often constant and sharp declines in elevation going down and back up. I wasn't in the best of shape as far as endurance goes when I braved this trail but I was still somewhat athletic and this trail wore me out cold. Had to carry my 70 pound dog out the last half mile because he gave out before we did (he was fine, just pooped and stopped walking). Trail is mostly clear, but can be overgrown in some areas.

The scenery:
Gorgeous elevation scenery as you go down and up the trail. Great panoramic photography potential at the top and certain viewpoints along the way. Once you reach the river it is beautiful. Lots of rocks to climb on. I climbed up the bridge at the bottom (do so at your own risk) to get some good photos. Overall a very visually-appealing trail.

Precautions:
Bring LOTS of water. Camelbaks of 2 liters or more if you are out of shape are recommended, you will drain lots of water climbing this trail. We brought three large Nalgene bottles for three people, and one for the dog, and depleted ours by the time we got to the bottom. Dog had water the whole way but we had to go without coming back up because we weren't well prepared.
Wear proper trail shoes (not flip flops like I did, though I had no idea what we were getting into. Boy did my calves hurt the next day).
Additionally, bear in mind it isn't uncommon to encounter horseback riders on this trail. We passed two riders coming up while we were going down, horses were friendly and indifferent, but if you aren't sure how your dogs will react to horses, please mind your leash manners. Not a whole lot of room to move pets out of horsebackers' way, so a leash is a must!

Recommendations:
Some areas off the trail can be explored but if you're hiking with with a pet, they may need to be hoisted. Something to keep in mind when hiking with large dogs.
Watch out for horse poop.

Pack List:
Mosquito Repellant
Sunscreen
Swimsuit/Trunks
Climbing gloves for any rocks you might want to climb at the bottom.
2L+ Camelbak and 2 liters of water in bottles at LEAST.
Leash (if hiking with pets)
Good trail climbing shoes.

Awesome swim near the bridge and decent cooling one at the end of the trail - just go down the road at the end of the trail. Poisonous oak after bridge - wear pants. Cool old mining equipment on the way. Beware of rattlesnakes, nearly stepped on one, very difficult to spot on the path, saw just one though and couple of sloughs. Last 1.7 miles is the "fun" part, gets easier after first 0.7 miles - your body adjusts. Bring mosquito repellent - we thought we would be eaten alive 100 yards from the bridge on the way back at 6pm - repellent helped. Overall, memorable and fun middle-level hike, 8.5 miles by my garmin

yes, it's full of poison oak, yes there are a couple of trees fallen in the road that you need to bypass/climb, and yes, the way back is a killer!, but, that river and swimming on it made it all very worthy. I'd recommend to swim next to the bridge before heading back, you are going to need it :)

Started at 7:30am on a super hot day and was the only hiker out there til I passed one as I was coming back. Saw some folks camping down by the water. Lots and lots of poison oak. I wore shorts but you should probably wear pants. Lots of trees down and the trail isn't cleared out in certain areas. Also not many signs to mark the trail. Did stop along the rocks and water for a break. It was very beautiful! Peaceful and nice out there. The last 1.75 miles were pretty hard though. Straight up! Be prepared for that. Whenever you go down, you must go up.

Been here several times with my scout troop and always have had a good time! The hike out is not for the faint of heart, plan it out so you leave before it gets dark but after you miss the heat of the high sun. Great little area to hike around.

This is a tough hike, especially on the way out with 1796' elevation gain in 1.6 miles(from the bridge). While the bridge and river/canyon views were amazing, the bugs and poison oak weren't. Lots of poison oak lined the trail(after the bridge was the worst) and in some spots make it hard to travers if you're wearing shorts. My friend and I only hiked in a total of 2 miles because of the poison oak. We hung out at a rock outcropping for an hour before heading back. We saw some hikers while hiking out that had no water and wearing Teva's. Not a good idea. This trail is STEEP and can get very warm. Bring water and wear proper hiking boots. You're feet will thank you.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This trail is a hidden gem. This is truly ideal temperatures for this trail. You are rewarded right when you exit the car with beautiful view of the distant mountain ranges, snow still cresting the peaks. Yes there is that grueling 1.5 steep downgrade that feels like double that distance. Would have been nice to have the deet on me instead of in the car! WEAR YOUR BUG SPRAY! Long paints is a must. Poison oak lined trail all the way. Lucky it's nicely shaded. Perfect destination for viewing a wide variety of flora and fawna. We even saw a very neat small snake. The old bridge at the bottom that crosses the river was very cool. The river was stunning with tons of water rushing quickly through those beatifully carved canyons. The other side of the mountain past the bridge was notably more beautiful, covered in lush green foliage. There was a lovely spot about .5 miles from bridge next the river which was a perfect lunch spot. It had an Awsome little sandy beach. Just be cautious going down the steep hill to get to it. So stay a while, rest up, and soak in the surroundings before heading back up the mountain. Training Hill seemed easier than this! It's worth it. Just know my 8 year old did it, so no excuses!

Monday, April 24, 2017

Hiked this in April. The river was beautiful and gushing. If you continue past the bridge at the bottom, be warned that some sections of the trail are very overgrown with Poison Oak. The way back up was a nice workout so make sure you bring sufficient water and food.

As far as trails within about an hour of Sacramento and accessible at this time of the year, this is an excellent choice.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

It might just be me but the first "mile" out and back felt way longer than just one mile. Decent hike but not much to see during the steep "mile" of descent and ascent. Good hike if you're into steep hikes, not for me. The river was beautiful at the bottom, though.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Very beautiful hike. A bit hard on the way back since its uphill very steep, but doable since its just around one mile.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Very quiet and secluded river bank at the bottom of the first stretch of mountain. Straight down and straight back up. Bring lots of water, bug spray, and snacks. Really rewarding.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hike down wasn't too bad but hike up was quite challenging. There was alot of mosquito, take bug spray and wear long clothing.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I would rate this a 5,but if you are not experienced or have not trained for a hike like this don't go. I was thinking no big deal. I was wrong I did it and feel accomplished but I paid for it. it killed me. I will do trail again but not soon. lol beautiful river and bridge area.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Not suitable for an athletic type person who is poorly out of shape... Wanted to try this hike out on a busy holiday weekend - made it 2/3 way down the hill before my brain told me coming back was going to kill me (also was a 95+ degree day and the trailhead fire was still blowing smoke that way). We turned around...and just that amount was miserable. Knowing the area, I'm certain the river area is awesome, cold and rocky. We'll be back once we're back in shape.

Parking is at the restrooms - the sign is confusing, don't keep driving unless you're up for some light wheeling. Or if you do you can park by the abandoned horse trailer (there are a few, park at the first one). The trail head is marked by a shot out metal sign. The first part is almost all forest tree cover. Some bugs mid day - I'm guess it's worse in early or later hours. Can't speak to the trail much more, except it's natures version of a stairclimber.

Dog friendly- didn't see many people out there, like most areas of the river I'm guessing it's not great for dog swimming. Trail looked clean and not thorny - although lots of poison oak, so if you're prone to 2nd hand rashes you might leave the dog at home or fully leashed.
I would not recommend this for kids...athletic teens yes.

Friday, June 10, 2016

This trail was 2 miles straight down. The river was nice but there was only one place that you could get access easily. High walls of rocks on either side of the river prevented us from getting closer to the water. We were able to hang our hammocks on the other side of the river and relax for a little bit. However, there were a lot of mosquitoes. This was not my favorite hike but getting to relax by the river was nice. The hike back up was 2 miles straight up- Whew!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Tough hike but worth it. Bring plenty of water for the hike back up

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was absolutely miserable/terrifying due to the quantity of mosquitos. I'm not even sure bug spray would've made enough of a difference. Definitely not worth it.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Excellent. Great train for Yosemite Half Dome.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Incredible. The way down was a little much on the legs but the climb up definitely got the heart rate going. According to FitBit, this hike allows an individual to burn 1,187 calories. And the views are spectacular.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Needless to say the trip down was pleasant. The water was VERY cold (bring swim trunks for the rope swing!) and the hike back up nearly 1800 feet was just short of brutal :-)

Monday, February 15, 2016

The beautiful view of the canyon was beyond expectations! The hike was perfect at 2 miles, not too long or too short for such a strenuous hike. It was a great workout and totally worth it. Want to go again in the summer to jump in the swimming hole. The river was beautiful and there were few people there. There's a bathroom at the end of the road and that's how you know you are at the right place. At first, we stopped at the big parking lot and went down an unmarked trail that led nowhere. So, pass that and make sure you see the bathroom and then walk to the clearly marked trail. So much fun for a Valentine's Day date.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

This was a great hike. The water at the bottom is so clear and beautiful! The climb back up kicked my ass though!

Sunday, January 03, 2016

I really enjoyed this hike. There was some snow on the start of the trail but stopped a mile or so down.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Really strenuous, but really fun hike! My girlfriend and I took an overnight trip on Euchre Bar during the week and had a great time. A few notes:

1. This time of year is very cold and damp. There was snow at the top of the trail, frost along the entire trail, and wet and frozen ground at the campsites.

2. The unpaved road to the Alta entrance wasn't well kept. We had to park along the road and hike nearly a mile to the trailhead. On the way home, an oncoming car on the one-way road was driving way too fast around a corner and forced us into the ditch to avoid a crash. Be careful! Drive slow!

3. There's downed trees on the trail. You'll have to climb around them. No big deal.

Monday, December 07, 2015

Strenuous, isolated and great fun!

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Rugged climb to & from river.