Euchre Bar Trail

Euchre Bar Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dutch Flat, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is the shortest of the nine access trails into the North Fork American River canyon, and the only one with a bridge over the river. It can be done either as an out-and-back trail to the bridge, or a rim-to-rim trail via Dorer Ranch Road, where it passes some old mining equipment.

A very strenuous hike to the actual Euchre Bar and back out of the canyon. Absolute solitude with a gorgeous suspension bridge over the North Fork American, occasional views of the undammed river canyon (and Generation Gap whitewater run). Bring lots of water, sunscreen and a good meal.

Starts to get difficult but the views are beautiful! I did run into a lot of fresh bear poop! Everywhere so I turned back. Definitely hike in groups

I've done this hike several times. Unfortunately, the way back up never seems any easier (but what's a hike without a little or a lot of heart pumping and sweat inducing glory?).
It is very steep though, both down and up. I would recommend people with bad knees or ankles to keep braces handy or bring trekking poles. And water, it's not a nature stroll in the city so come prepared.
Due to it's difficulty it's normally a very secluded trail which adds to its loveliness even more.

Hike down and up was not especially scenic. River spot was awesome. Good swimming and rock jumping. Water is crystal clear. No one was out there when I went.
I did hike down around 4 pm mid September. The bugs were bad. Really really bad. I inhaled/ swallowed a dozen at least. They swarmed my dog and my face constantly even though I’d used bug spray. Felt like the only break I got from em was when I was underwater.
The elevation gain from the bridge back up to the trailhead is less than 2K per my Garmin. Nice for a quick work out.
Oh and when you’re driving out there there’s a right turn before you get to the restrooms that provides awesome views of the canyon. Beautiful sunset spot

The hike back up was definitely hard. Bring bug spray, there was a constant swarm of gnats in my face along most of the trail.

One of my favorites for getting in hiking shape. The trail is steep but well groomed although when the oak leaves build up, it can be a bit slick. It is 2 miles from the restroom to the river and the bridge crossing. There are a couple of trails that go beyond the bridge including a trail that follows the river upstream where you will find abandoned mining equipment and walls of an old stone house.

Great swim and worth the climb out!!

New to all trails and thought how hard could a trail rated hard be. It was hard. Super steep on my way down I seriously thought to myself "this is going to suck coming back up"..... and it did. The river at the bottom was great super clear and calm by the bridge. I brought my 1 year old german shepard and she did fine but I could tell she was not feeling it. Lots of poison oak and mosquitos. I didn't bring repellent and I wish I did. it was pretty bad for me AND the dog. About 3/4 the way back up I almost stepped on a rattlesnake right in the middle of the trail. Had to jump and yank my dog out of the way. I don't hike as much as I'd like too and if you don't get out to hike much I'd recommend a different hike to get a little more in shape before this. My legs are jello now.

Beautiful trail! It...is...difficult! Come prepared! I didn’t and payed the price. I vomited but luckily enough some people on the trail helped me out by giving me water and electrolytes. Please be careful and bring enough water or know when to call it quits. Aside from that it was a very pretty trail!

Great hike!! I'm not so sure on the accuracy of the mileage (as stated in the synopsis). It seems quite a bit shorter than 7.3 miles. Going down is very steep and does some nice jamming damage to the toes, but is very shaded and the trail is clean and clear. As stated, the way up is a tough one, but totally doable with a number of flat-ish spots to rest, if need be.

Once at the bottom, you can cross the bridge and navigate your way down to the water. It is amazing!! But if you're going for a bit longer of a hike, the trail picks up on the other side of the bridge and carries on for quite some time. I walked on and up for another 2.5 hours on the trail which eventually opened up into a person's private property and a utility road. The road carried on for some time - mostly shaded. I eventually turned around and went back to the river, over the bridge and to that arduous climb!

Absolutely beautiful and would definitely do it again!

This is as good as it gets. A spectacular walk down should the American River. Taking a swim in the river is the best. I scrambled along the rocks on the north side of the river, to get to the junction of the north and middle Forks of the North Fork of the American River. truly spectacular. The way up is, as everyone says, a killer one. But as I'm training to Trek to Everest Base Camp this fall, this is a perfect training hike

My first time hiked here yesterday. It was a little hard going back up, but the beautiful clear water made it worth it. The trail might be hard for beginners. I would go back again for the views and good workout.

One thing I love about this trail is there are a lot of shades to through out the whole trail.

I would rate this hike as better if the sun hadn’t dried everything out so much already when it’s only March. I started my hike at 1200 and it was 74 degrees outside, so I suggest you guys start this hike out early in the morning. I would definitely agree with the hard rating, it’s consistently steep downhill all the way down to the bridge and coming back up hill is doable but it takes a while. I walked down for 30 minutes and drank half my nalgene water and decided it was time to hike back up and to finish it on another day. The directions given were great and led me right to the spot. There was still a couple small patches of snow on the drive up there which was beautiful, and there are bathrooms there at the parking destination. The view from the parking area is the best view out of the whole hike, truly was beautiful from there.

It was an amazing beautiful hike! Took me roughly an hour going down to the bridge. Make sure so bring lots of water, good shoes, and maybe grab a walking stick to help down. It was roughly 65 degrees and it was perfect out (its March). Lots of butterfly’s out and cool rusted bikes and cars to find. The way back up IS HARD!! All incline, took about an hour and forty mins to go back up. But very rewarding climbing the entire mountain & a gorgeous part of the river.

Be prepared to sweat on the last mile back. The elevation gain is insane (close to 2,000 feet). A sunny, cool day in February was perfect for this hike. I couldn’t imagine doing it in the heat except there is a STUNNING water hole about 1.5 miles into the hike at the suspension bridge that would be nice to cool off in. The water was incredible. We only hiked from the trailhead to the bridge and back. It was more than enough and I feel very accomplished. I’d recommend this hike to anyone who is up for a challenge and enjoys beautiful views.

Amazing hike that's great for when you not only want to totally escape from the city but when you also seek a challenge. Like the other reviews say, it's very steep. It's like a 2500 ft. descent to start, and it killed my toes because they kept getting jammed up in the front of my shoes going down such a steep grade. Going up was actually easier! It took me about 40 minutes to get down to the bridge, I continued past the bridge about a 1/4 mile and had to turn around because it was getting dark, and it then took 1 hour to get back up. So plan on a 2 to 3 hour hike depending on how much farther past the bridge you decide to go. All in all it was worth the views and the quietness, but I'll only go again when I want to really challenge myself, because it was certainly a tough hike!

P.S.... definitely wear pants and bring repellant.. you'll thank me later!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

The Trail:
Be advised, this trail is not for the faint of heart. Very steep, often constant and sharp declines in elevation going down and back up. I wasn't in the best of shape as far as endurance goes when I braved this trail but I was still somewhat athletic and this trail wore me out cold. Had to carry my 70 pound dog out the last half mile because he gave out before we did (he was fine, just pooped and stopped walking). Trail is mostly clear, but can be overgrown in some areas.

The scenery:
Gorgeous elevation scenery as you go down and up the trail. Great panoramic photography potential at the top and certain viewpoints along the way. Once you reach the river it is beautiful. Lots of rocks to climb on. I climbed up the bridge at the bottom (do so at your own risk) to get some good photos. Overall a very visually-appealing trail.

Precautions:
Bring LOTS of water. Camelbaks of 2 liters or more if you are out of shape are recommended, you will drain lots of water climbing this trail. We brought three large Nalgene bottles for three people, and one for the dog, and depleted ours by the time we got to the bottom. Dog had water the whole way but we had to go without coming back up because we weren't well prepared.
Wear proper trail shoes (not flip flops like I did, though I had no idea what we were getting into. Boy did my calves hurt the next day).
Additionally, bear in mind it isn't uncommon to encounter horseback riders on this trail. We passed two riders coming up while we were going down, horses were friendly and indifferent, but if you aren't sure how your dogs will react to horses, please mind your leash manners. Not a whole lot of room to move pets out of horsebackers' way, so a leash is a must!

Recommendations:
Some areas off the trail can be explored but if you're hiking with with a pet, they may need to be hoisted. Something to keep in mind when hiking with large dogs.
Watch out for horse poop.

Pack List:
Mosquito Repellant
Sunscreen
Swimsuit/Trunks
Climbing gloves for any rocks you might want to climb at the bottom.
2L+ Camelbak and 2 liters of water in bottles at LEAST.
Leash (if hiking with pets)
Good trail climbing shoes.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Awesome swim near the bridge and decent cooling one at the end of the trail - just go down the road at the end of the trail. Poisonous oak after bridge - wear pants. Cool old mining equipment on the way. Beware of rattlesnakes, nearly stepped on one, very difficult to spot on the path, saw just one though and couple of sloughs. Last 1.7 miles is the "fun" part, gets easier after first 0.7 miles - your body adjusts. Bring mosquito repellent - we thought we would be eaten alive 100 yards from the bridge on the way back at 6pm - repellent helped. Overall, memorable and fun middle-level hike, 8.5 miles by my garmin

Sunday, July 16, 2017

yes, it's full of poison oak, yes there are a couple of trees fallen in the road that you need to bypass/climb, and yes, the way back is a killer!, but, that river and swimming on it made it all very worthy. I'd recommend to swim next to the bridge before heading back, you are going to need it :)

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Started at 7:30am on a super hot day and was the only hiker out there til I passed one as I was coming back. Saw some folks camping down by the water. Lots and lots of poison oak. I wore shorts but you should probably wear pants. Lots of trees down and the trail isn't cleared out in certain areas. Also not many signs to mark the trail. Did stop along the rocks and water for a break. It was very beautiful! Peaceful and nice out there. The last 1.75 miles were pretty hard though. Straight up! Be prepared for that. Whenever you go down, you must go up.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Been here several times with my scout troop and always have had a good time! The hike out is not for the faint of heart, plan it out so you leave before it gets dark but after you miss the heat of the high sun. Great little area to hike around.

Monday, June 05, 2017

This is a tough hike, especially on the way out with 1796' elevation gain in 1.6 miles(from the bridge). While the bridge and river/canyon views were amazing, the bugs and poison oak weren't. Lots of poison oak lined the trail(after the bridge was the worst) and in some spots make it hard to travers if you're wearing shorts. My friend and I only hiked in a total of 2 miles because of the poison oak. We hung out at a rock outcropping for an hour before heading back. We saw some hikers while hiking out that had no water and wearing Teva's. Not a good idea. This trail is STEEP and can get very warm. Bring water and wear proper hiking boots. You're feet will thank you.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This trail is a hidden gem. This is truly ideal temperatures for this trail. You are rewarded right when you exit the car with beautiful view of the distant mountain ranges, snow still cresting the peaks. Yes there is that grueling 1.5 steep downgrade that feels like double that distance. Would have been nice to have the deet on me instead of in the car! WEAR YOUR BUG SPRAY! Long paints is a must. Poison oak lined trail all the way. Lucky it's nicely shaded. Perfect destination for viewing a wide variety of flora and fawna. We even saw a very neat small snake. The old bridge at the bottom that crosses the river was very cool. The river was stunning with tons of water rushing quickly through those beatifully carved canyons. The other side of the mountain past the bridge was notably more beautiful, covered in lush green foliage. There was a lovely spot about .5 miles from bridge next the river which was a perfect lunch spot. It had an Awsome little sandy beach. Just be cautious going down the steep hill to get to it. So stay a while, rest up, and soak in the surroundings before heading back up the mountain. Training Hill seemed easier than this! It's worth it. Just know my 8 year old did it, so no excuses!

Monday, April 24, 2017

Hiked this in April. The river was beautiful and gushing. If you continue past the bridge at the bottom, be warned that some sections of the trail are very overgrown with Poison Oak. The way back up was a nice workout so make sure you bring sufficient water and food.

As far as trails within about an hour of Sacramento and accessible at this time of the year, this is an excellent choice.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

It might just be me but the first "mile" out and back felt way longer than just one mile. Decent hike but not much to see during the steep "mile" of descent and ascent. Good hike if you're into steep hikes, not for me. The river was beautiful at the bottom, though.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Very beautiful hike. A bit hard on the way back since its uphill very steep, but doable since its just around one mile.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Very quiet and secluded river bank at the bottom of the first stretch of mountain. Straight down and straight back up. Bring lots of water, bug spray, and snacks. Really rewarding.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hike down wasn't too bad but hike up was quite challenging. There was alot of mosquito, take bug spray and wear long clothing.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I would rate this a 5,but if you are not experienced or have not trained for a hike like this don't go. I was thinking no big deal. I was wrong I did it and feel accomplished but I paid for it. it killed me. I will do trail again but not soon. lol beautiful river and bridge area.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Not suitable for an athletic type person who is poorly out of shape... Wanted to try this hike out on a busy holiday weekend - made it 2/3 way down the hill before my brain told me coming back was going to kill me (also was a 95+ degree day and the trailhead fire was still blowing smoke that way). We turned around...and just that amount was miserable. Knowing the area, I'm certain the river area is awesome, cold and rocky. We'll be back once we're back in shape.

Parking is at the restrooms - the sign is confusing, don't keep driving unless you're up for some light wheeling. Or if you do you can park by the abandoned horse trailer (there are a few, park at the first one). The trail head is marked by a shot out metal sign. The first part is almost all forest tree cover. Some bugs mid day - I'm guess it's worse in early or later hours. Can't speak to the trail much more, except it's natures version of a stairclimber.

Dog friendly- didn't see many people out there, like most areas of the river I'm guessing it's not great for dog swimming. Trail looked clean and not thorny - although lots of poison oak, so if you're prone to 2nd hand rashes you might leave the dog at home or fully leashed.
I would not recommend this for kids...athletic teens yes.