Euchre Bar Trail

Euchre Bar Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dutch Flat, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is the shortest of the nine access trails into the North Fork American River canyon, and the only one with a bridge over the river. It can be done either as an out-and-back trail to the bridge, or a rim-to-rim trail via Dorer Ranch Road, where it passes some old mining equipment.

Very beautiful hike. A bit hard on the way back since its uphill very steep, but doable since its just around one mile.

Very quiet and secluded river bank at the bottom of the first stretch of mountain. Straight down and straight back up. Bring lots of water, bug spray, and snacks. Really rewarding.

Hike down wasn't too bad but hike up was quite challenging. There was alot of mosquito, take bug spray and wear long clothing.

I would rate this a 5,but if you are not experienced or have not trained for a hike like this don't go. I was thinking no big deal. I was wrong I did it and feel accomplished but I paid for it. it killed me. I will do trail again but not soon. lol beautiful river and bridge area.

Not suitable for an athletic type person who is poorly out of shape... Wanted to try this hike out on a busy holiday weekend - made it 2/3 way down the hill before my brain told me coming back was going to kill me (also was a 95+ degree day and the trailhead fire was still blowing smoke that way). We turned around...and just that amount was miserable. Knowing the area, I'm certain the river area is awesome, cold and rocky. We'll be back once we're back in shape.

Parking is at the restrooms - the sign is confusing, don't keep driving unless you're up for some light wheeling. Or if you do you can park by the abandoned horse trailer (there are a few, park at the first one). The trail head is marked by a shot out metal sign. The first part is almost all forest tree cover. Some bugs mid day - I'm guess it's worse in early or later hours. Can't speak to the trail much more, except it's natures version of a stairclimber.

Dog friendly- didn't see many people out there, like most areas of the river I'm guessing it's not great for dog swimming. Trail looked clean and not thorny - although lots of poison oak, so if you're prone to 2nd hand rashes you might leave the dog at home or fully leashed.
I would not recommend this for kids...athletic teens yes.

This trail was 2 miles straight down. The river was nice but there was only one place that you could get access easily. High walls of rocks on either side of the river prevented us from getting closer to the water. We were able to hang our hammocks on the other side of the river and relax for a little bit. However, there were a lot of mosquitoes. This was not my favorite hike but getting to relax by the river was nice. The hike back up was 2 miles straight up- Whew!

Tough hike but worth it. Bring plenty of water for the hike back up

This was absolutely miserable/terrifying due to the quantity of mosquitos. I'm not even sure bug spray would've made enough of a difference. Definitely not worth it.

Excellent. Great train for Yosemite Half Dome.

Incredible. The way down was a little much on the legs but the climb up definitely got the heart rate going. According to FitBit, this hike allows an individual to burn 1,187 calories. And the views are spectacular.

Needless to say the trip down was pleasant. The water was VERY cold (bring swim trunks for the rope swing!) and the hike back up nearly 1800 feet was just short of brutal :-)

The beautiful view of the canyon was beyond expectations! The hike was perfect at 2 miles, not too long or too short for such a strenuous hike. It was a great workout and totally worth it. Want to go again in the summer to jump in the swimming hole. The river was beautiful and there were few people there. There's a bathroom at the end of the road and that's how you know you are at the right place. At first, we stopped at the big parking lot and went down an unmarked trail that led nowhere. So, pass that and make sure you see the bathroom and then walk to the clearly marked trail. So much fun for a Valentine's Day date.

This was a great hike. The water at the bottom is so clear and beautiful! The climb back up kicked my ass though!

I really enjoyed this hike. There was some snow on the start of the trail but stopped a mile or so down.

Really strenuous, but really fun hike! My girlfriend and I took an overnight trip on Euchre Bar during the week and had a great time. A few notes:

1. This time of year is very cold and damp. There was snow at the top of the trail, frost along the entire trail, and wet and frozen ground at the campsites.

2. The unpaved road to the Alta entrance wasn't well kept. We had to park along the road and hike nearly a mile to the trailhead. On the way home, an oncoming car on the one-way road was driving way too fast around a corner and forced us into the ditch to avoid a crash. Be careful! Drive slow!

3. There's downed trees on the trail. You'll have to climb around them. No big deal.