Euchre Bar Trail

Euchre Bar Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dutch Flat, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is the shortest of the nine access trails into the North Fork American River canyon, and the only one with a bridge over the river. It can be done either as an out-and-back trail to the bridge, or a rim-to-rim trail via Dorer Ranch Road, where it passes some old mining equipment.

Been here several times with my scout troop and always have had a good time! The hike out is not for the faint of heart, plan it out so you leave before it gets dark but after you miss the heat of the high sun. Great little area to hike around.

This is a tough hike, especially on the way out with 1796' elevation gain in 1.6 miles(from the bridge). While the bridge and river/canyon views were amazing, the bugs and poison oak weren't. Lots of poison oak lined the trail(after the bridge was the worst) and in some spots make it hard to travers if you're wearing shorts. My friend and I only hiked in a total of 2 miles because of the poison oak. We hung out at a rock outcropping for an hour before heading back. We saw some hikers while hiking out that had no water and wearing Teva's. Not a good idea. This trail is STEEP and can get very warm. Bring water and wear proper hiking boots. You're feet will thank you.

This trail is a hidden gem. This is truly ideal temperatures for this trail. You are rewarded right when you exit the car with beautiful view of the distant mountain ranges, snow still cresting the peaks. Yes there is that grueling 1.5 steep downgrade that feels like double that distance. Would have been nice to have the deet on me instead of in the car! WEAR YOUR BUG SPRAY! Long paints is a must. Poison oak lined trail all the way. Lucky it's nicely shaded. Perfect destination for viewing a wide variety of flora and fawna. We even saw a very neat small snake. The old bridge at the bottom that crosses the river was very cool. The river was stunning with tons of water rushing quickly through those beatifully carved canyons. The other side of the mountain past the bridge was notably more beautiful, covered in lush green foliage. There was a lovely spot about .5 miles from bridge next the river which was a perfect lunch spot. It had an Awsome little sandy beach. Just be cautious going down the steep hill to get to it. So stay a while, rest up, and soak in the surroundings before heading back up the mountain. Training Hill seemed easier than this! It's worth it. Just know my 8 year old did it, so no excuses!

Hiked this in April. The river was beautiful and gushing. If you continue past the bridge at the bottom, be warned that some sections of the trail are very overgrown with Poison Oak. The way back up was a nice workout so make sure you bring sufficient water and food.

As far as trails within about an hour of Sacramento and accessible at this time of the year, this is an excellent choice.

It might just be me but the first "mile" out and back felt way longer than just one mile. Decent hike but not much to see during the steep "mile" of descent and ascent. Good hike if you're into steep hikes, not for me. The river was beautiful at the bottom, though.

Very beautiful hike. A bit hard on the way back since its uphill very steep, but doable since its just around one mile.

Very quiet and secluded river bank at the bottom of the first stretch of mountain. Straight down and straight back up. Bring lots of water, bug spray, and snacks. Really rewarding.

Hike down wasn't too bad but hike up was quite challenging. There was alot of mosquito, take bug spray and wear long clothing.

I would rate this a 5,but if you are not experienced or have not trained for a hike like this don't go. I was thinking no big deal. I was wrong I did it and feel accomplished but I paid for it. it killed me. I will do trail again but not soon. lol beautiful river and bridge area.

Not suitable for an athletic type person who is poorly out of shape... Wanted to try this hike out on a busy holiday weekend - made it 2/3 way down the hill before my brain told me coming back was going to kill me (also was a 95+ degree day and the trailhead fire was still blowing smoke that way). We turned around...and just that amount was miserable. Knowing the area, I'm certain the river area is awesome, cold and rocky. We'll be back once we're back in shape.

Parking is at the restrooms - the sign is confusing, don't keep driving unless you're up for some light wheeling. Or if you do you can park by the abandoned horse trailer (there are a few, park at the first one). The trail head is marked by a shot out metal sign. The first part is almost all forest tree cover. Some bugs mid day - I'm guess it's worse in early or later hours. Can't speak to the trail much more, except it's natures version of a stairclimber.

Dog friendly- didn't see many people out there, like most areas of the river I'm guessing it's not great for dog swimming. Trail looked clean and not thorny - although lots of poison oak, so if you're prone to 2nd hand rashes you might leave the dog at home or fully leashed.
I would not recommend this for kids...athletic teens yes.

Friday, June 10, 2016

This trail was 2 miles straight down. The river was nice but there was only one place that you could get access easily. High walls of rocks on either side of the river prevented us from getting closer to the water. We were able to hang our hammocks on the other side of the river and relax for a little bit. However, there were a lot of mosquitoes. This was not my favorite hike but getting to relax by the river was nice. The hike back up was 2 miles straight up- Whew!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Tough hike but worth it. Bring plenty of water for the hike back up

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was absolutely miserable/terrifying due to the quantity of mosquitos. I'm not even sure bug spray would've made enough of a difference. Definitely not worth it.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Monday, May 16, 2016

Excellent. Great train for Yosemite Half Dome.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Incredible. The way down was a little much on the legs but the climb up definitely got the heart rate going. According to FitBit, this hike allows an individual to burn 1,187 calories. And the views are spectacular.