Euchre Bar Trail

Euchre Bar Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dutch Flat, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is the shortest of the nine access trails into the North Fork American River canyon, and the only one with a bridge over the river. It can be done either as an out-and-back trail to the bridge, or a rim-to-rim trail via Dorer Ranch Road, where it passes some old mining equipment.

The Trail:
Be advised, this trail is not for the faint of heart. Very steep, often constant and sharp declines in elevation going down and back up. I wasn't in the best of shape as far as endurance goes when I braved this trail but I was still somewhat athletic and this trail wore me out cold. Had to carry my 70 pound dog out the last half mile because he gave out before we did (he was fine, just pooped and stopped walking). Trail is mostly clear, but can be overgrown in some areas.

The scenery:
Gorgeous elevation scenery as you go down and up the trail. Great panoramic photography potential at the top and certain viewpoints along the way. Once you reach the river it is beautiful. Lots of rocks to climb on. I climbed up the bridge at the bottom (do so at your own risk) to get some good photos. Overall a very visually-appealing trail.

Precautions:
Bring LOTS of water. Camelbaks of 2 liters or more if you are out of shape are recommended, you will drain lots of water climbing this trail. We brought three large Nalgene bottles for three people, and one for the dog, and depleted ours by the time we got to the bottom. Dog had water the whole way but we had to go without coming back up because we weren't well prepared.
Wear proper trail shoes (not flip flops like I did, though I had no idea what we were getting into. Boy did my calves hurt the next day).
Additionally, bear in mind it isn't uncommon to encounter horseback riders on this trail. We passed two riders coming up while we were going down, horses were friendly and indifferent, but if you aren't sure how your dogs will react to horses, please mind your leash manners. Not a whole lot of room to move pets out of horsebackers' way, so a leash is a must!

Recommendations:
Some areas off the trail can be explored but if you're hiking with with a pet, they may need to be hoisted. Something to keep in mind when hiking with large dogs.
Watch out for horse poop.

Pack List:
Mosquito Repellant
Sunscreen
Swimsuit/Trunks
Climbing gloves for any rocks you might want to climb at the bottom.
2L+ Camelbak and 2 liters of water in bottles at LEAST.
Leash (if hiking with pets)
Good trail climbing shoes.

Awesome swim near the bridge and decent cooling one at the end of the trail - just go down the road at the end of the trail. Poisonous oak after bridge - wear pants. Cool old mining equipment on the way. Beware of rattlesnakes, nearly stepped on one, very difficult to spot on the path, saw just one though and couple of sloughs. Last 1.7 miles is the "fun" part, gets easier after first 0.7 miles - your body adjusts. Bring mosquito repellent - we thought we would be eaten alive 100 yards from the bridge on the way back at 6pm - repellent helped. Overall, memorable and fun middle-level hike, 8.5 miles by my garmin

yes, it's full of poison oak, yes there are a couple of trees fallen in the road that you need to bypass/climb, and yes, the way back is a killer!, but, that river and swimming on it made it all very worthy. I'd recommend to swim next to the bridge before heading back, you are going to need it :)

Started at 7:30am ok a super hot day and was the only hiker out there til I passed one as I was coming back. Saw some folks camping down by the water. Lots and lots of poison oak. I wore shorts but you should probably wear pants. Lots of trees down and the trail isn't cleared out in certain areas. Also not many signs to mark the trail. Did stop along the rocks and water for a break. It was very beautiful! Peaceful and nice out there. The last 1.75 miles were pretty hard though. Straight up! Be prepared for that. Whenever you go down, you must go up.

Been here several times with my scout troop and always have had a good time! The hike out is not for the faint of heart, plan it out so you leave before it gets dark but after you miss the heat of the high sun. Great little area to hike around.

This is a tough hike, especially on the way out with 1796' elevation gain in 1.6 miles(from the bridge). While the bridge and river/canyon views were amazing, the bugs and poison oak weren't. Lots of poison oak lined the trail(after the bridge was the worst) and in some spots make it hard to travers if you're wearing shorts. My friend and I only hiked in a total of 2 miles because of the poison oak. We hung out at a rock outcropping for an hour before heading back. We saw some hikers while hiking out that had no water and wearing Teva's. Not a good idea. This trail is STEEP and can get very warm. Bring water and wear proper hiking boots. You're feet will thank you.

This trail is a hidden gem. This is truly ideal temperatures for this trail. You are rewarded right when you exit the car with beautiful view of the distant mountain ranges, snow still cresting the peaks. Yes there is that grueling 1.5 steep downgrade that feels like double that distance. Would have been nice to have the deet on me instead of in the car! WEAR YOUR BUG SPRAY! Long paints is a must. Poison oak lined trail all the way. Lucky it's nicely shaded. Perfect destination for viewing a wide variety of flora and fawna. We even saw a very neat small snake. The old bridge at the bottom that crosses the river was very cool. The river was stunning with tons of water rushing quickly through those beatifully carved canyons. The other side of the mountain past the bridge was notably more beautiful, covered in lush green foliage. There was a lovely spot about .5 miles from bridge next the river which was a perfect lunch spot. It had an Awsome little sandy beach. Just be cautious going down the steep hill to get to it. So stay a while, rest up, and soak in the surroundings before heading back up the mountain. Training Hill seemed easier than this! It's worth it. Just know my 8 year old did it, so no excuses!

Hiked this in April. The river was beautiful and gushing. If you continue past the bridge at the bottom, be warned that some sections of the trail are very overgrown with Poison Oak. The way back up was a nice workout so make sure you bring sufficient water and food.

As far as trails within about an hour of Sacramento and accessible at this time of the year, this is an excellent choice.

It might just be me but the first "mile" out and back felt way longer than just one mile. Decent hike but not much to see during the steep "mile" of descent and ascent. Good hike if you're into steep hikes, not for me. The river was beautiful at the bottom, though.

Very beautiful hike. A bit hard on the way back since its uphill very steep, but doable since its just around one mile.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Very quiet and secluded river bank at the bottom of the first stretch of mountain. Straight down and straight back up. Bring lots of water, bug spray, and snacks. Really rewarding.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hike down wasn't too bad but hike up was quite challenging. There was alot of mosquito, take bug spray and wear long clothing.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I would rate this a 5,but if you are not experienced or have not trained for a hike like this don't go. I was thinking no big deal. I was wrong I did it and feel accomplished but I paid for it. it killed me. I will do trail again but not soon. lol beautiful river and bridge area.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Not suitable for an athletic type person who is poorly out of shape... Wanted to try this hike out on a busy holiday weekend - made it 2/3 way down the hill before my brain told me coming back was going to kill me (also was a 95+ degree day and the trailhead fire was still blowing smoke that way). We turned around...and just that amount was miserable. Knowing the area, I'm certain the river area is awesome, cold and rocky. We'll be back once we're back in shape.

Parking is at the restrooms - the sign is confusing, don't keep driving unless you're up for some light wheeling. Or if you do you can park by the abandoned horse trailer (there are a few, park at the first one). The trail head is marked by a shot out metal sign. The first part is almost all forest tree cover. Some bugs mid day - I'm guess it's worse in early or later hours. Can't speak to the trail much more, except it's natures version of a stairclimber.

Dog friendly- didn't see many people out there, like most areas of the river I'm guessing it's not great for dog swimming. Trail looked clean and not thorny - although lots of poison oak, so if you're prone to 2nd hand rashes you might leave the dog at home or fully leashed.
I would not recommend this for kids...athletic teens yes.