Estero Trail [CLOSED] is a 21.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Inverness, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 21.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,395 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Explore the beauty of Drakes Estero and this inner workings of Point Reyes. This trail traverses ocean bluffs and pastoral lands.

I didn't do the entire hike as described here as multiple cows were blocking the trail and one in particular seemed adamant that no one shall pass, but, I turned around at that point and went to sunset beach instead but couldn't find a trail all the way to the beach. All in all a decent hike that was more of a walk; best part was starting at 06:30 a.m. and having the whole place to myself.

Sat May 11 2019

Beautiful trail, I saw a jack rabbit, crabs, hiked through cows and deer. It is overgrown with poison oak in some areas about 6 miles in so I couldn’t do as many miles as I wanted and had to go off trail to try and bypass the poison oak. All in all it’s beautiful out there!

Sat Mar 23 2019

The trail was very muddy, to the point of being nearly impassable in places.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Part of the trail is closed. You can still make it to the end but prepare to add on about 8 extra miles to avoid getting torn up by the overgrown brush. Beautiful views of the sunset and tons of deer.

Thu Aug 30 2018

You can only take this trail slightly past the turnoff for Drake's Head Trail. After that, it's overgrown brush that's 5' tall. I tried to force my way through the trail, but gave up once I had to resort to crawling through the brush. The rest of the trail is stunning!

Sat Jul 21 2018

There aren’t many views in California more spectacular than Drake’s Head!

Mon Oct 23 2017

There isn’t a lot of trees it was actually pretty bland for most of the hike but the end result was beautiful! We ended with the Drakes Head trail it was a beautiful scenery of the ocean! We saw quite a bit of wildlife too! I would try the sunset beach trail as the ending if I did it again!

Tue Aug 09 2016

Hiked from Estero Trailhead to Drake's Beach. Excellent workout, which was about 9 miles. Trails are well maintained and signage is effective.

Sat Mar 16 2019