New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Escondido Falls Trail

Escondido Falls Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 626 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take I - 10 freeway west to the PCH. Head towards Malibu and make a right turn onto Winding Way. Park in the lot and follow the trail signs. There is a $8 fee for parking in the lot. The very beginning of this trail may be on private property.

The trail was easy, a little to easy so it ended up being boring for the most part with nothing spectacular to see.

Trail is awesome but parking sucks. Only 10 spots with a parking fee of 8 USD and if there is no more spots in parking lot you’ll have to park on PCH.

Great trail, first mile on paved road but last .9 was well shaded dirt/packed mud with small stream crossings. a few friendly dogs and the waterfall was limited flow but still beautiful! We skipped the last 300 feet which was more of a climb/scramble

Easy hike. Water was very low despite recent rains so it was easy to move across all water crossings.

Really beautiful hike, trail to the waterfall was easy to follow. Lots of small creeks for the kids to play in/hop over and some really great climbing trees!

Nice short hike right in Malibu. We went a few days after some heavy rain so the trail was a bit muddy, but nothing unmanageable. We only went to the first falls on account of having our small dog that likely couldn’t make the second, but we’re still rewarded with some nice views along the way.

its 8 dollars for parking and i had my parking pass on my dash but they still gave me a ticket

Great for kids and dogs

private property

This is a very short trail with a decent waterfall at the end. It is easy to get to with some short walk through residential areas. A good start to a day.

fee

I don’t normally write details reviews but this needs it. As many have said, the first mile or so is through a residential road (be courteous of horses and locals), I cycled so this was quick for me. Then, the initial trial to the first waterfall, is easy, low elevation, suitable for kids & dogs. Do NOT take your bike as some posts indicate, I left mine locked to the entrance sign (before the trail start not the car park, you can take it up the public road) The first fall has a low water flow (it had been raining), kids were paddling and posing for photos. What I can’t believe is there is no sign (visible) for falling rocks, specifically as you face the fall, when I moved onto fall 2, small stones and rocks were falling down. Next, fall 2. There are no signposts and you are left to find you own way. I bumped into 4 sets of people no-one really had a clue where to go, I stopped and debated turning back twice, I deemed it pretty dangerous, I was on all fours at a few points, rocks and slate rolled down often. The only reason I carried on was because I could hear voices pointing me to the fall and actually see the fall (albeit the wrong way). You can make the fall, but no-one could work out the correct route. When I hit the fall, I asked the group there how they got there - they pointed me on the correct ‘trail’ but there is no indication of this from the foot of the trail, agree this route is slightly easier. I have no idea who is responsible for rating this easy, it is far from that - the starting part on the public road and waroiute to fall one, yes, easy. Easy, something like Runyon Canyon where you can take kids and dogs, the second part of this trail HARD without a doubt. Check my photos, at one point there is even a rope to make the climb!

Small parking lot could be an issue on the weekends. Must walk a mile through residential area before getting to the trailhead. Plenty of signs along the way, and easy to follow. Some poison oak once you get closer to the falls.

private property

Nice, easy in and out hike woth no shade so bring a hat. Thr falls were not full bloom , but had some water trickling down. would do again after a good rain

Very cool but you have to do some risky scrambling to get to the second water fall. I have a skilled climbing dog that’s used to handoffs between me and my hiking partner but alone could be rather precarious. Lots of loose rock and gravel that comes tumbling down so be smart about spacing. Also be cool butt-scooting down some of the terrain.