Escondido Falls Trail

Escondido Falls Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 626 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take I - 10 freeway west to the PCH. Head towards Malibu and make a right turn onto Winding Way. Park in the lot and follow the trail signs. There is a $8 fee for parking in the lot. The very beginning of this trail may be on private property.

Nice, easy in and out hike woth no shade so bring a hat. Thr falls were not full bloom , but had some water trickling down. would do again after a good rain

Very cool but you have to do some risky scrambling to get to the second water fall. I have a skilled climbing dog that’s used to handoffs between me and my hiking partner but alone could be rather precarious. Lots of loose rock and gravel that comes tumbling down so be smart about spacing. Also be cool butt-scooting down some of the terrain.

Good workout! 3.4 miles in 70 minutes on a 83°F summer day around 3pm with the sun beating down on me. Not much shade on this one. Bring a hat for sure. Very dusty dirt trails. Not much of a water fall at all.

recorded Escondido Falls Trail

The trail is pretty dusty and dry this September. The first “waterfall” was a trickle of water along a rock wall but the green moss was really pretty! We couldn’t figure out how to make it up to the second waterfall though. It may have washed out.

private property

Before we started the hike we parked in a small parking structure and paid $8. No one was there to claim the money you either pay in cash and use the envelope that is station by the parking lot or use a digital machine to use card. When I went the machine was not working so we paid cash. We decided to hike this trail on a weekday at around 6:50am. We had to go up hill and pass by private property homes. When we reach to the destination there is a sign that mentions where the trail starts. Tail is easy enough not to get lost and with little shade but it didn’t matter because it was the morning. As we arrived to the destination there was little water due to summer time. P.S.. Took two small (10lbs) dogs with me on the hike and they loved it

the way to 2nd water fall is difficult.

private property

$8 parking but I don’t know how often they enforce that. Small parking lot but we got there early enough we found a good spot. The trail itself is a bit underwhelming, with the beginning being paved and partially on a private road. We only went to the lower falls as the hillside didn’t look stable enough to safely continue the hike. There’s not much water right now, but it’s summer time so what can one expect? Some muddy areas, I slipped and almost fell once. The bushes next to the trail are high and slightly overgrown at the moment.

The trail is amazing. Good views on the way. However there is almost no water fall right now. Very less water flowing.

Loved this trail! Felt like a little kid all over again as we followed the river up and down. The waterfall wasn’t gorging but it was still beautiful and a peaceful rendezvous area. It’s a popular trail so don’t expect to be alone.

recorded Escondido Falls Trail

Was an easy hike with nothing steep so would be good for all ages.

Lots of horse poop

Easy to moderate trail, where good hiking shoes, there is a lot of loose gravel.

Very dusty. Didn’t make it up to the upper falls. We scrambled up the rocks for a while then gave up. Very loose soil and lots of falling rocks. The lower falls had some water.

This was a very crowded trail that was underwhelming to say the least. The first long stretch of the hike is just on pavement to get to the dirt trail. The trail is overgrown, and can be classified more appropriately as a walk than a hike. A straight path with nothing to look at but dirt and some unassuming brush. The waterfall was a big letdown as it was more of a trickle. It was small and had hardly any water and was not particularly beautiful or scenic. You could not climb around the waterfall either. I enjoyed this hike because I was with my best friends but I would not recommend this trail to anyone looking for a good hike or a beautiful view.

Great trail, lots of traffic but not so crowded that it ruined the experience. I went in the late morning and thought it was fine. Watch out for falling rocks near the lower falls, the footraffic from people hiking up to the upper falls caused some falling rocks.

This hike was moderate to easy. Brought my small pug and she was fine. Lots of creeks and a awesome waterfall. Beautiful as well!

We did it early morning which was perfect. The hike was beautiful and pretty easy for our first.

We parked on PCH because there was no more parking, wasn’t bad at all. You enjoy the beauty of the homes on your way to the beginning of the trailhead. Seeing the greenery post fires was great. The hike isn’t hard, good for a beginner. The waterfall wasn’t full but I can just imagine how beautiful it was right after the rain we had.

Seeing the plant life bounce back after the fires was among the highlights - the resilience of life. The hike itself is pretty easy. The hardest part is the walk to the trailhead. Once you get there, it’s pretty much a flat walk with quite a bit of tree cover to keep you shaded. It takes about 30-40 minutes one way to get to the falls. You need to cross four streams on your way, but the water is shallow and trial pioneers left rocks and logs laying across the streams to pass easily.