Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail

Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy family hike, lovely forested trail, great views of Tahquitz/Suicide Rock This is a perfect setting for a leasurly family hike. The trail acends very gently from the south end of Idyllwild to Humber Park, passing through a wonderful dense forest of pines. As you approach Humber Park, spectacular views of Suicide and Tahquitz rocks come in to view. Once you reach Humber Park, walk up the road a few hundred yards to the Devil's Slide Trail head and find a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch. If you still have some energy left, hike a half mile or so up the Devil's Slide trail for unbelievable views of both Tahquitz and Suicide rock. Return the way you came. Adventure Pass is required.

This was a fun and really pretty trail! It's been on my to do list forever but I just kept missing it. So glad I finally got up there. It's kid/family friendly, and would also make a great workout hike or trail run. However, as other reviews state, there are definitely bugs, even this late into the year, so be advised. Tip: Set your route destination and park at the Humber Park trailhead, NOT at the end of the trail where AllTrails/Google may lead. The trail starts near the bottom of the parking area (Devils Slide is at the top of the same lot) and has painted signs marking each end. The trail is beautiful and well-maintained; with plenty of really fun opportunities for rock scrambling alongside. It is a fast and easy five miles, with more of the hill climbing on the way back (assuming you begin at the big trailhead parking area). I expected it to take longer and be a little more challenging than it was, but the optional rocks to climb made up for that in the best way. Overall awesome trail and very happy hike.

This is great for walking, hiking and trail running. Didnt have cell phone reception for part of the time on this trail

The day was Fall-perfect! The trail led us in and through wooded stretches. Bugs weren't a problem. Taking our time to take in the scenery, we were in and back in 3 hours.

Shaded, great views. Easy trail to follow and the length makes it a great workout.

The trail starts on the NORTH side. We went to the south side and there was no parking. Everything scenic is within the first mile of the north side. Nice, easy trail, almost no traffic.

honestly really pretty, but the bugs were all up in my face. I would love to come try it again in a less buggy season. Bring OFF or something similar.

This is a really mellow and pretty trail. A really gentle slope through the trees. It’s mostly shaded with a few spots of sunlight. There were a lot of bugs but the trail is still beautiful. A park ranger recommended this trail to my friend and me and I’m so glad she did.

Bring l insist bring bug repellent. If you want to enjoy your hike. Nice and shaded trails

Maybe it's just me, but a trail that leads from one road to another road just doesn't excite me much. I want to go somewhere cars can't. Nevertheless, it is a nice hike except for the bugs in your ears.

Boring, buggy, crowded. Scenery and views unspecial. I assume it might be much better early summer when it is a little cooler and creeks are flowing instead of boggy.

Very gradual incline, did this with my family. We all enjoyed the hike, great views, and a little water flowing in the stream to cool off with.

Don’t be fooled! This trail is a bit of work. But worth it for the views. Have fun! 5 miles total.

DustyFox and I really enjoyed this mostly shaded, streams, views and tons of butterflies. A few flowers left as late bloomers.

Nice, easy trail that’s good for dogs! Offers some pretty views and a stream.

This was a great hike for a summer morning, lots of shade and never too strenuous. I chose to start at the bottom to do the uphill first. The "bottom" is what AllTrails has marked as the start and you park on Scenic Drive and no pass is needed. The other end is Humber Park. I also like this direction because the biggest creek is right at the end (just before the parking lot). Though some are disappointed to end at a parking lot, I prefer it to ending at a random residential street. I hiked this trail in July and I did get mosquito bites, so keep it in mind if you are vulnerable. There were also some flies but only a mild annoyance. I would do this hike again, especially if I'm not with people who hike regularly and just want a comfortable hike with nice views.

Amazing hike with creeks and scenic views. It’s an out and back so the first portion is cake, but the return is a bit of an exercise as it’s a gradual incline back to the trailhead. It’s nearly fully shaded the entire trail. Unfortunately you do see some houses and may hear some light construction in some areas, but it’s definitely worth the energy.

so as a new hiker I didnt realize out and back meant 10 miles. lol didnt end up taking it because directions took me to the end of the trail instead of the beginning. glad I didnt go because I am not up to a 10 mile hike yet. just thought I should make aware for any new hikers out there. i will be back soon now that I know where the beginning of the trail is.

Nice views. Trail is in good shape.

Not too crowded but this was Friday during the day. It was pretty well shaded so good for the late starters like ourselves.

Nice trail. Lots of shade. Much easier to park on northeast end of trail, which makes this a down and then back up hike.

Hiked to the top and had some BLTA’s with my honey. Very nice

THIS IS NOT A LEGAL MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAIL. DON’T RIDE IT.

Great trail. Fun to link the Ernie Max to DEVILS Slide.