Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail

Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy family hike, lovely forested trail, great views of Tahquitz/Suicide Rock This is a perfect setting for a leasurly family hike. The trail acends very gently from the south end of Idyllwild to Humber Park, passing through a wonderful dense forest of pines. As you approach Humber Park, spectacular views of Suicide and Tahquitz rocks come in to view. Once you reach Humber Park, walk up the road a few hundred yards to the Devil's Slide Trail head and find a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch. If you still have some energy left, hike a half mile or so up the Devil's Slide trail for unbelievable views of both Tahquitz and Suicide rock. Return the way you came. Adventure Pass is required.

this was an easy trail going out from the trailhead, coming back was more of a climb. although if you start from taquitz rd (if I remeber the street name correctly) you will be going up and than an easy down. it was a little more narrow trail in many spots, and it was warmer this day. we started at 7 am and the bugs were pretty heavy, although this was one of the hottest days of our Summer. we ended and were back home in Hemet by 11 and before we left we went to eat breakfast so it was a quick hike. have fun hiking.

Gorgeous hike

Easy hike, lots of bugs don't forget your Off Spray. My kids loved it.

This is my favorite trail of all times up in the San Jacintos

Easy trail, great warm up trail, easy to follow.

Very pretty trail, but note that the ascent is on the return as there's a steady almost unnoticeable downgrade going out from the trailhead. Trail was well-maintained, nice views, lots of ttees, and brush with cute little lizards racing through. It has a Climbers Trail offshoot that my daughter explored for a few...it looked fun and I would have joined her if I hadn't had the baby on my back. Overall nice trail, I'll do it again but earlier in the day and preferably without a mini hitchhiker. ;)

Beautiful trail with nice views

I'm a moderately Advanced hiker. I would consider this trial extremely easy. My girlfriend's 8 year old and 6 year old did it no problem.

We loved this trail for trail running and used it as a warm up day before San Jacinto via Marion.

Gorgeous wildflowers this time of year!!

This was really great. Went with my wife, two kids (15 & 10), and our dog. We had a great time. Very well maintained and everyone we came across was friendly and wanted to pet our dog. Parking was easy and Idyllwild is a great little town too. We’ll be back.

A well shaded, easy hike through mixed forest. Great variety of flora and some sweeping views.

I did this hike on Mother’s Day w my husband and my daughter.
We start from the lower trailhead
Where little parking is available.
We started at 7am and walked the easy trail to the other end of the trailhead At Humber Park. We took our time at took lots of pictures during our hike. We could see suicide rock and taquitz peak
From the path at times but it was very cloudy & cooler temps today .
The details say it’s 5 miles but it’s longer and not too much incline.
At the turn around point ( the other trail head) we enjoyed the small creek w waters flowing. So I prefer the return to the car back mostly downhill. I recommend this for family friendly.

Good and easy - pretty. Remember to put your dogs on a leash it’s the law. Everyone you pass is always super friendly

Great trail for all levels. Plenty of shade for those hot days and nice views from time to time.

Fun hike for families with kids and a fog

Had a wonderful time with my dog

Love this trail! It’s a quick one, but so worth it if you have a small dog and want to get him/her some exercise outdoors!

Fun little trail through the forest. Gets a little crowded but to be expected.

Great hike with kids and dog! Need an adventure day pass to park so make sure you get it in town. Lots of shade and cool breeze. Great views of the peak!

Fun hike with bits of snow. Bring walking sticks if there’s still snow, parts were slick. Would definitely go back.

Great hike even in a little snow..... glad we had our walking sticks for the slippery parts but the views and trail are a treat!

Excellent easy hike for entire family and dog! Gorgeous views and perfect blend of sun and shade. Definite must!

Easy and pretty, with great views of Lily Rock and Suicide Rock.

Super fun hike! Beautiful views, nice trail and perfect distance. Posted pics of my lovely day.

Did this hike today. Possibly best time to go. There was little sections of snow in the first half a mile, it was sunny but nice and chilly with a lot of shade. It’s mainly slightly downhill on the way out, tons of vista points and views of tahquitz rock. It took 2.5 hours with stopping for pictures and multiple stops on the way back up due to my asthma and recovering from bronchitis. Once I build my lungs back up I’ll definitely be back.

1 hr and 25min round trip.

Nice 2 hr hike

Went on Black Friday with a friend. Definitely a very busy trail on a holiday as it is also closer to downtown Idyllwild. Smooth easy trail and basically level. Near the Humber Park end of the trail there is a sign for "Climbers Trail". This goes straight up the side of the mtn to the foot of Lily Rock. If you don't mind stopping to catch your breath a few times there are wonderful views besides the awesome sight of this massive rock. Took us only half an hour to come back down that trail to the Ernie Maxwell one. Very pleasant hike.

Nice views nice length hike