Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail

Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy family hike, lovely forested trail, great views of Tahquitz/Suicide Rock This is a perfect setting for a leasurly family hike. The trail acends very gently from the south end of Idyllwild to Humber Park, passing through a wonderful dense forest of pines. As you approach Humber Park, spectacular views of Suicide and Tahquitz rocks come in to view. Once you reach Humber Park, walk up the road a few hundred yards to the Devil's Slide Trail head and find a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch. If you still have some energy left, hike a half mile or so up the Devil's Slide trail for unbelievable views of both Tahquitz and Suicide rock. Return the way you came. Adventure Pass is required.

Great hike. We started at the top and enjoyed the chance to warm up before working our way back up. Others started at the bottom and were smiling as we passed them on their downhill stretch. Enjoy!

Very nice pleasant hike.
Claims in he way out if you start from Humber park.

This was my first time hiking. It was also the first time with my 10 month son and I was nowhere near trained to do it, but I did complete it!! I'm glad we started at the bottom to go uphill and then the return was downhill. Trail was nice but it gets hot in late mornings in the summer.

easy trail. hiked this with my wife and three kids. beautiful views and didn't break a sweat. if you're looking for a super easy but pretty trail this is it.

beautiful trail. easy for the entire family.

A very nice trail. The trail is in Humber Park part of the San Bernadino National Forest. It was a little rocky, rooty, with some uneaven terrain. The path winds around what I assume is Humber Mountain. There are many beautiful old blueberry bushes.
One hint-
Stop and get an adventure pass or Silver Eagle pass to display on your dash as this is manditory.

Easy and beautiful trail!

Got an early start to beat the heat and people. Started the trail at 07:30 and it was perfect. 59 degrees and practically had the trail to myself for the whole first leg which took me about an hour. On the way back definitely saw more folks but still not bad. 81 degrees, so getting warmer. Finished the whole trail in 2 hours. Saw lupine, giant paintbrush, western azaela's which smelled amazing. The only negative was it was quite buggy. Enough to become annoying as the morning heated up. But all in all I really enjoyed it and it was nice to be able to bring my canine companion. I'm a bit frustrated in general with the limited trails you can take your dog in this state.

Did this hike since we didn't get a permit for Devils Bridge. It was a good length there and back, little to no incline most of the way, but a little anticlimactic since the side we ended up on was just a neighborhood road. Nicely shaded though throughout, which was a huge plus for a 90 degree day!

Perfect for an afternoon solo jaunt