Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail

Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy family hike, lovely forested trail, great views of Tahquitz/Suicide Rock This is a perfect setting for a leasurly family hike. The trail acends very gently from the south end of Idyllwild to Humber Park, passing through a wonderful dense forest of pines. As you approach Humber Park, spectacular views of Suicide and Tahquitz rocks come in to view. Once you reach Humber Park, walk up the road a few hundred yards to the Devil's Slide Trail head and find a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch. If you still have some energy left, hike a half mile or so up the Devil's Slide trail for unbelievable views of both Tahquitz and Suicide rock. Return the way you came. Adventure Pass is required.

15 minutes ago

Really nice trail, very well-maintained. Slight issues crossing small creek with children. So many people with families, and dogs.

Really nice trail in Idyllwild. Nice mix of terrain as well as sun and shade. We went in the afternoon on a Thursday, and only saw one other person on the entire out and back. Definitely follow the directions listed here to the dirt road trailhead so you don't have to hike uphill on the way back!

great views. take your time and enjoy, beautiful walk hike

Great easy trail! Parking is a little tight on the dirt road, sign at the entrance. Do not use Apple maps, took us past the trail up a rutted out dirt road.

Got lucky & hiked this trail under light overnight snow in May 2018. Beautiful. Great family hike because it's easy (no major elevation loss/gain) & there are interesting things to see (fallen pine logs, manzanita trees, sycamores, views of crags & peaks from across the trail, trickles of water to leap across). One of the most beautiful easy hikes I've ever done.

Most excellent for easy beginner hike, alot of water/stream features along the hike during march season.

beautiful views, lots of creeks and small waterfalls, easier hike not too much elevation

full loop is nice and green and really pretty, definitely take advantage of this before summer when everything dies. not too hard. good way to kill a couple of hours

Hiked this trail in early March when there was still a fair amount of snow on it which made it a bit icy and needed to be careful where we stepped. Beautiful views. Crosses 7 little creeks.

We did this trail in reverse so we would have the uphill section first. Great New Year’s Day hike! Lots of friendly people along the trail.

Cool trail

Took the dogs with us on this hike. Although it was a little narrow in parts, we all enjoyed the walk and the beautiful scenery. Lots of other furry friends on the trail today!

Really nice walk

Easy fun hike

Hiked this trail this past weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an easy out and back trail with beautiful views. It was a perfect hike during this holiday season. The smell of fresh pine trees really put me in a holiday spirit. I look forward to returning to this area to try other trails.

Nice walk lots of traffic on weekends

really like this hike, just to get out of the house for a couple of hours

Gorgeous boulders, trees and easy to boot. Great for families.

Great trail to walk with your kids.

If you a serious hiker - don't waste your time. This is a trail in the backyard of some mountain houses, you will hear people in their backyards all along. The views are Ok, and it is as short as it is not challenging.

Beautiful easy trail.

So someone’s review said to start at the trailhead where the parking is and my friend and I think they are completely wrong. If you start from the dirt road entrance which is off of Taqhuitz rd I believe that is uphill. You finish the trail at the parking lot and if you follow the road a little up and to the right you find restrooms and picnic benches. When you go back down there is only a small part that is up hill but then the rest is downhill. We both hiked with our babies in baby carriers. Trust me when I say start from the first road. The hike itself of course is beautiful because you are going through a beautiful forest and beautiful sights as you go higher and higher. However The end isn’t as rewarding as Taqhuitz peak. When Taqhuitz peak opens again from Southridge, I would suggest trying that one. It is a moderate to hard hike due to the switchbacks but it is very beautiful and so worth it when you get to the ranger tower.

I definitely suggest starting from the bottom. When I did the trail I only knew of starting at the trailhead . My friends and I hiked through and realized there was parking on the street to start from the opposite side. Hiking back was mostly uphill and we would have preferred to do it the other way around. To hike uphill first (out) and comeback (back) downhill , park on the street end of the trail not the trailhead end of the trail.

Nice views. Dogs liked it too

Great hike to take my wife and dogs on.

Great day hike to beat the heat and get active. Lots of shade on the trail so it's ok to go in the middle of the day. Good for all fitness levels. Disappointing thing is there is a parking lot at the top of the trail which takes you out of the wilderness

Easy trail, great day hike!

Nice shaded hike. I've done bottom to top, and top to bottom, def recommend doing bottom to top.