Epicenter to Five Finger Falls

Epicenter to Five Finger Falls is a 14.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Aptos, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

bridge out

There are views of waterfalls along Aptos Creek.

6/22/18: Aptos Creek Trail remains impassable—If you are up for the 15-16 mile round trip detour (my track said 17.9, but I parked as far as the main entrance station), the falls is absolutely beautiful and secluded right now. I stayed for a couple of hours, laying on the smooth rocks and swimming beneath the cascade, which was a nice reward for the grueling trek up. Surprisingly not very buggy, but as always, check yourself and furry friends for ticks! I might do this again soon and make it an overnight by camping at the West Ridge Trail camp. There are a few large downed trees to scramble over and some overgrowth as you get closer to the falls, but my dog and I handled it with no problems. I took Donut Trail to Big Slide to get off the main road on the way up, but I wouldn’t recommend it in the uphill direction, it was killer, narrow ankle twisting single track up a really steep grade. Lots of mountain bikers as usual, but all very friendly and courteous of my off leash dog.

Trail is still very much impassable - the bridge work-around is no longer there so there isn’t a way to continue on the trail. If you want to see Five Finger Falls you’ll have to take the long way up and around - you can access the trail and falls further up from Aptos Creek Fire Road to White’s Lagoon Road to Big Slide Trail, but it’s steep and much longer.

Note: when they get this trail fixed up you can hike it from Porter Family picnic area in summer which will cut out about 4 miles of what AllTrails says the round trip is.

The bridge was watched out but someone screwed on some boards so it was possible to climb up the fallen bridge ( a little shady but fun if you don’t fall) the rest of the hike was challenging but some really unique scenery. Worth it but not for rookies.

This trail is not dog friendly. We were turned away at the entrance. They have maybe 2 miles of "trails" that are dog friendly. They also said that we couldn't hike up this trail because it was "closed" despite individuals recording their hikes on all trails. The park ranger even hesitated in giving us our money back even though we had just given it to him. State parks are terrible if you have fur children. And this is just a fire road anyway... would not recommend.

Friday, August 18, 2017

The longest hike I've done yet, it was a little tough but I LOVED EVERY MOMENT of it!!!
If you're bringing rookies, maybe rent bikes so it doesn't take as long. Other than that, it's pretty awesome!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

The log bridge with cable was washed out (as of 4/16/17), so the only way to get to the falls was to stay on the fire road going north west, and going east towards the falls (and back the same way) . The trail was overgrown in several places and quite slushy since it was raining at the time. The waterfall was gushing, and as was the creek (I had to cross in knee deep water in some parts) . If you've parked on the other side of Aptos creek, west of 'Marcel's Forest', there are a few unmarked trails around there as well, so you could lose more time around there. Overall, still a very fun hike.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Dogs cannot use all the trails. Only a selected few like the fire road.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great hike.
It ended up being 14.5miles round trip. There are two trails that are washed out one of them being on a side of a cliff (sketchy but we made it).

Monday, December 05, 2016

Great hike. During fall you'll have to hike the road for a few miles. Totally worth it! The hidden waterfall is a great reward!

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Strenuous especially when climbing away from the creek, but worth it. I started at Aptos village and went 16 miles total in 5 hours. I warm fall day is the ideal time for this hike and I couldn't believe I was the only person on the trail on a Sunday afternoon.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Great 16 mile hike with multiple stream crossings to a gorgeous waterfall with a freshwater pool; saw fish, salamanders, lizards, dragonflies, butterflies, banana slugs, squirrels, hummingbirds, blue jays and more! Really nice

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Great hike. We finished the falls and cut over Sandy point and wrapped around the other side and pulled out 21 miles. Finished the last 3 miles path running. Great weather. 7 hrs.

Monday, June 24, 2013

His is a great hike. From the wild orchids on the fire road to the awesome log bridge with cables on the hiking only portion. It is interesting with downed logs and non bridges quick dips over ravines and creeks. However the difficulty and grade always felt moderate. This is one of my favorites trails yet near the bay.

Saturday, June 17, 2017