English Camp Loop

English Camp Loop is a 3.7 mile loop trail located near San Jose, California that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cool little county park with some great wildflowers and old mining era ruins. Randol Trail, which creates a loop with Mine Hill Trail, is closed for the season, so I put together a 7 mile loop on the east side of the park which consisted of parking at the New Almaden entrance and taking Mine Hill Trail to Castillero Trail, detouring to take the loop of April Trail on the way, which offers some interesting old ruins and mining related buildings. From Castillero Trail I also did the 1 mile out and back to Hidalgo Cemetery, down the hill from Spanish Camp, a collection of old buildings which constituted the dwellings of Hispanic miners. No headstones, but beautiful views and an eerie vibe that I just loved. From there I took Yellow Kid Trail to Deep Gulch Trail which got me back to the parking lot. Got to see a bit of English Camp (no surprise, it seemed a bit nicer and more developed), which was taken over by the Citizen Conservation Corps back in FDR's day. Deep Gulch is all downhill along a little creek. Overall a pleasant, solitary hike (I only passed 2 groups the whole Monday afternoon, other than in the parking lot). Only complaints are the fire road/wide style trails in lots of places and the visible power lines in some places. It is equestrian friendly, but I saw none on that Monday, and I did let my dog off leash for most of the hike, once we had climbed the hill. I want to come back and do the loop with Randol Trail when it is open, and I would also like to do the Woods Trail out to the backcountry trails behind the park.

Nice loop hike on an overcast summer day. No views from Church Hill, but some good overlooks on the way there. Watch for poison oak!

Pros: Free. Wide trail. Very few hikers. Some shade. Nice bathroom at the parking area.
Cons: Not a breeze. Many flies.

All up to all down hill with not a lot of shade in the summer. Some good views and a good picnic area at the summit.