Elsmere Canyon and Santa Clarita Divide Road Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(183)
Newhall, California

Elsmere Canyon and Santa Clarita Divide Road Trail [CLOSED] is a 5.5 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 km Elevation Gain: 293 m Route Type: Loop

closed

Note: Due to damage from recent fires, Elsmere Canyon Open Space is currently closed. This is a fantastic nature walk. It isn't too difficult, it provides a beautiful view of SCV, due to it's high elevation, and it even has some semi-wooded areas that provide shade and a different kind of scenery than other trails in the area. The labeling of the trails needs work.

I suggest creating your own hike based off the map — but if you choose to follow the trail there is plenty of signage along the trail. Overall a good quick hike! A little muddy just because it rained last night. Trail seems to be well maintained.

I am one to often get off trail so it wasn’t too surprising that I had to back track at least once. I went left at the trail head and missed the turn. There is a 1 mile sign not even on my designated trail that through me off. Very sandy and loose gravel. Be sure to have good shoes. Great hills but not very tranquil due to either hearing the highway or power lines. I’m looking forward to trying this again after some rains.

Fun little trail.

Good trail with shade patches. Up and down, big hills. Clear path and well marked.

Absolutely beautiful views. It can be a long haul depending which path you take but I would suggest going left first for a more gradual climb. The path to the right starts off much steeper. Great jogging and hiking path. Didn’t see any snakes.

First time taking the Eagle’s Pass.. awesome views.. no snake sightings (always a plus!).. but I’d recommend starting earlyish to avoid direct sun and sun reflecting off the granite from the mountains and off the open spaces of the trail.. stay hydrated and keep it clean ;-)

Did this one on a hot day. Lots of little bugs and power lines are a bit loud. But otherwise it was a nice hike. Definitely is a work out and I recommend using the app to know when to follow the trail. We weren't sure if taking eagle pass was correct but it was. It's slightly overgrown and we tried to be careful of any rattlesnakes. Luckily we didn't see any. Only saw a handful of people the whole time. All in all, a good hike

we did this Trail when it was about 80° and there was a nice Breeze which was good because there's no shade the views from the top pretty good except there was a bunch of smog if you can believe that it almost looked like there was a fire. overall it's an okay hike if you don't mind a fire Road

Awesome trial. lots of scenery and the trail is pretty well kept up. Bring water in the summer and stay hydrated. Great workout with lots of elevation changes. Good way to kill a couple hours.

Beware of rattlesnakes! I saw a huge one in the middle of the trail !! Bugs were out of control so make sure to bring big spray! Beautiful views and a great workout

First, I have to say the parking for this trailhead is EXCELLENT!! It’s a big parking lot with plenty of marked spaces right off the freeway exit. While this map says it’s 3 miles, these is actually an extended loop that turns this into a 6mi hike and actually, it can be hard to see the turn off to take the 3mi loop so you might end up doing the 6mi loop. It’s a good workout with a lot of varying terrain. Not as hard as the 10 mi “the Beast” trail which branches off from this trail, but it’s good. There is also an easy trail here called the creek trail. It’s about 1mi long and can loop you back around into the end of the Elsmere Canyon Loop. So these is something here for everyone, the easy Creek Trail. The intermediate Elsmere Canyon 3mi, the slightly harder 6 mi Elsmere canyon loop extension and then the all uphill “The Beast” trail.

Sat May 11 2019

The creek trail is almost too overgrown for the season but there’s still water which was nice

Hiked this both ways. It’s a great hike going both directions lots of loose gravel be careful!

Tue Apr 16 2019

Beautiful hiking spot. We didn’t do the loop or the beast, we went to the waterfall. We crossed the creek several times easily. Great photo opps. Unfortunately as the trail began to run parallel with the creek, there is a lot of poison oak and it’s right on the trail. We did enjoy it though.

Love this hike lots of ups and downs during the hike. beautiful flowers and love the Rocky cliff there’s no signage where the loop is at so its easily missed especially because it’s over grown

Sun Apr 14 2019

Sat Mar 30 2019

Love the nature of this trail, gorgeous plant life, wildflowers, and bugs/birds. Saw a huge rattlesnake in the middle of the trail! Only issues are that it’s pretty rocky, a lot of the trail has been washed out from rain so footing coming down is tough. Plus they’re building something huge on the other side of the highway which is definitely an eye sore.

It was a beautiful sunny day with white fluffy clouds. A nice cool breeze in the air, great for a hike. This was my first hike with my new blue backpack. There were many steep up and down hills. A great workout for this beginner hiker. Once you got to the top it took you down again. I would suggest going left from the larking lot on the way out. This will bring you to the Creek trail. I think next time I would take the full creek loop to see more water. But today we went up to the top where the cliff over looks the 14. Then the climb down was very steep, rocky and slippery. Both my son and I slipped a bit. But we were fine. I think the best was crossing the creek with my big stick at the end! Can’t wait for my next hike! A great day!

Sun Mar 10 2019

Good, relatively short trail but with some decent elevation gain. Would likely be pretty tough in the summer months. Otherwise it had some great views and everything was still green.

Mon Feb 25 2019

This trail was very pretty! Gave a nice view of the valley! Walked this trail carrying our baby in a carrier, and it wasn’t easy... got my heart and lungs going for sure! We went the day after it rained so there was a few icy parts on the way up, so be careful! There is a part that was covered with cut down trees but we managed to go around them. Thankfully we had this app to help us navigate through the trail as there aren’t many posts, but I guess we would know where to go if we did it again! On the way out we took the creek trail instead of continuing on the big loop, which crosses the creek a few times. Thankfully I had water proof shoes because I couldn’t really see the rocks to cross beneath me so I just walked straight through ! Haha We will definitely be back!

This trail is nice and private. Only saw two other people here hiking in 2 hrs. No shots worthy for photography as there are highways and power lines everywhere. The trails are not marked for the most part. Using this app was the only reason I knew where I was going. Overall it’s nice because it’s private and there are lots of trees. But you never stop hearing or smelling cars

Fri Nov 02 2018

this place was beautiful! lots of shade and awesome views! Our dogs and kids loved it here!

Tue Aug 21 2018

I went on this trail on 8/18/18 for my first time alone for some me time and meditation. This trail does NOT disappoint. It's a real butt buster, and the most exciting part to me was how close to the edge some parts were! I can't wait to go back to this trail!

Sun Jul 29 2018

Great loop close to home, G.Hills. Good workout with ups and downs. Several changes of scenery. Make loop a figure 8 by crossing loop on Creek Trail twice and can get in 5.5 miles. Beautiful summer Sunday morn 9-11 am and saw only 6 people!

Mon Apr 23 2018

Fun little loop. I've driven past this are my whole life and always wondered what was back there. Now I know. The trail was in good shape, about half road and half trail. Right now is probably the best time to hike this trail, summer temps can get out of hand. Spring is in full effect throughout the canyon with green hills and wild flowers blooming almost everywhere. The back side of the trail is a little sketchy in parts but its totally manageable.

Wed Apr 18 2018

A little more uphill then expected. Very pretty views of Santa Clarita. I think it’s longer then 3.4, closer to 4 miles.