Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Elsmere Canyon 6 Mile Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(53)
Newhall, California

Elsmere Canyon 6 Mile Loop [CLOSED] is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,597 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

closed

NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

It's a climb to the top but it is well worth it.

closed

Went back today and they finally closed it due to corona.

bridge out

This is not n easy one! Long, rocky, off-trail, steep

Great trail for hiking or running i myself do a little of both great work out little muddy because of the rain but just makes it more fun

Good trail. Good markings. On the easier side of moderate to me. Lots of wildlife tracks on the backside.

Second time doing this loop. First time as an all out trail run. That said, I did plenty of hiking on most of the uphill. It was just as tough as I remember. I clocked in at 5.9 miles on Strava, and 1673 ft of gain in 1:05. Good workout. Great hike, MB, or trail run. I only saw 1 other person on a Sunday Morning. peaceful, and scenic once you get away from the fwy noise.

Mon May 06 2019

Thank goodness for a cool and overcast day! Very diverse trail: some of the trail was on the paved fire road, a little bit of trail was washed out, some steep climbs and some really nice stream crossings. The views were beautiful! Once you get away from the freeway noise it was very peaceful. The power line noise was very weird and we were probably glowing for a while - if it were dark ;-) Bring a lot of water!!

Sun Apr 07 2019

Gorgeous view,beautiful and high up.I did biking,it was hard bcz very high hills and wind,but still gorgeous!!!❤️❤️❤️

Sun Nov 11 2018

Needs better signs but great hike, trail is relatively easy but it does have some elevation to manage.

Sun Jun 24 2018

I did this hike on June 24, 2018, a Sunday. Our group started out early at six am as we were expecting sun and heat which never came. The whole hike was met with overcast skies which did not start to break until we were back at the trailhead. The whole loop start to finish was a few seconds under three hours. That was with a group of nine other hikers who hike this area regularly, so there was no chance of getting lost on the trail. We started the trailhead at Remsen street, off the Sierra Highway. Plenty of parking was available, and when we left we were still the only ones that parked there, except for a pick up truck. Though the trail is close to the city of Santa Clarita, we saw very little trail traffic compared to other hikes. All total we saw five hikers in two groups, and one mountain biker. For most of the journey we were alone on the trail, which made for a pleasant experience. The trail itself is a mixture of paved roads, moderately deep sand ruts, dirt utility roads, rocky footpaths and wide and narrow footpaths. There are several areas where you would have to cross a stream, but the streambeds were dry. I was told in winter they are there, and can be quite large, and somewhat of a chore to cross. There are several switchbacks in the loop, and the loop as a whole has a lot of ups and downs. Our elevation climb was 1,614 feet. Leaving the trailhead, you walk alongside the 14 freeway on the west side which takes you to an to an underpass which brings you to the east side of the freeway and the loop. We turned left and headed north. The first 2 miles of the loop keeps you keeps you close to the 14 freeway and in full earshot of the traffic sound. In this first third of the loop you hike through what appears to be remnants of oil wells long since capped and abandoned. Some of the rusting machinery is still there. There are a few ups and downs through this part of the hike. At 2.1 miles you start to leave site of the freeway and head further into the bush. This is a well maintained access road, called Santa Clarita Divide Road (according to the map). This is more than likely part of the utility service road network for the many power lines you will encounter during your hike. At several points you cross under the lines and can hear the loud hum of the electricity flowing through them. At 2.6 Miles we came to a fork in the road with a powerline tower. We took the right fork continuing the loop, which took us into some very beautiful views of the mountains and through canyons. This was the best part of the hike by far as we were in more of a backcountry area than the first part of the hike. At about 4.7 miles we peaked out on Elsmere Canyon Road and then started a descent back to the trailhead. At about 5.0 miles the road is paved again and opens to a view of the I-5/14 freeway junction letting you know the loop is coming close to an end. As you descend, the road takes you alongside the east side of the 14, down back to the underpass and the beginning of the loop. From there we went back under the freeway and back to the trailhead. Flora and fauna: The area contains a lot of oak trees and other types of trees. The trail is mostly open, so there is little shade. It would be best to tackle this hike early in the day, as the sun is still behind the mountains for a little while. Also present were wildflowers of various colors and many types of scrub bushes. Poison Oak was very minimal. I only saw one plant, well off the trail. As for wildlife, we saw two or three stink beetles on the trail, a red bug I could not identify and lots of ants. The ants were not a problem though. They were too busy working! Also present was coyote scat on the trail indicating their presence, but none were seen. Pros: Good workout hike with flat breaks between climbs, lots of scenery and views, oak trees, plenty of (free) parking, low amount of trail traffic, trail was very easy to follow. Cons: Freeway sound and the power lines. My rating: I gave three stars rather than four due to the freeway and the powerlines. Other than that it was an enjoyable hike all around and I would definitely do it again. If you are looking for a quick hike with a fair amount of cardio workouts between flat and downhill trails, this is your hike.

Mon Apr 16 2018

It was nice. Very green with flowers. There was a rattle snake though, so that made me nervous for the rest of the hike. But besides that, it was a nice hike.

Sun Mar 18 2018

Worked out nice for a family walk. Old paved service roads and lots of birds and wild flowers.

Sun Mar 04 2018

I got list several times as it became very confusing. More signs need to be put up. Had to keep going to my hiking app to find my way around. It’s a doozy

Sun Jan 28 2018

Pluses: Loop Trail, Varying Terrain kept it interesting , Nice ups and downs for a good workout, solid distance, nice views Minuses: 2+ Miles of it is paved, not comfortable to run on in trail running shoes. Lots of off shoot confusing spots, had to keep looking at app map to make sure I was still on the trail, highways noise in certain spots.