Elk River Trail

Elk River Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Eureka, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bring your bear spray

Easy trail to follow. A little confusing at the end near the loop as there is no 5 mile marker and the trailhead posted at this point says "Pool Tral" with arrows up and right. Assuming some kids switched the L & P for a good laugh.

It's really 11 miles out & back with a small loop through old growth Redwoods after steeper incline.

Good for trail running. First 3 miles are dog friendly.

The trail is flat for about 1-3/4 miles before it starts going up on a hiking trail. There was a downed tree in the trail near the 1-mile marker so we had to climb over it. We followed the trail up for 3.8 miles before turning around and coming back down. Lots of beautiful scenery and trees. Loved that our dog could join us.

This is a beautiful trail. Like someone said no cell phone service. Saw a small bear about 4 miles from start so be careful.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Another awesome, well maintained and preserved trail. Saw some beautiful butterflies. Great trail to jog or walk the dog.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

This was an incredible trail run. The first three miles get you warmed up with gentle rolling up/downs, and then the last 2.5 miles really push you since it's mostly uphill. But to end amongst old-growth redwoods is spectacular. I went on the Sunday before July 4th and it wasn't too crowded at all. Any fewer people and I would have been nervous about running by myself. I wish I lived closer so I could run this trail more often!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Monday, April 11, 2016

As all previous reviews suggest, the first 3 miles are relatively flat with an occasion gradual increase in elevation. We couldn't go further than mile 3 as the remainder of the trail was closed due to heavy mud. The elevation increases significantly after the third mile at the crossing of the bridge. I believe the total round trip mileage is about 11 miles making this my favorite local hike thus far. Also, no cellphone service on this hike so come prepared.