Learn more

Elk Head Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Trinidad, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 134 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

This is the first time my dog has seen an ocean and been in a beach. We had a blast. We arrived around 930 AM and there were only two other cars in the lot. We left at 1230 AM and the lot was packed!! Granted, it is a Saturday. But overall, amazing views, nice beach, friendly people

Super easy trail with a beautiful view at the end!

Kid friendly. Dog friendly. Easy to walk or easy to run. Out and back with a loop within the train. Beautiful view at the end.

Tue Apr 09 2019

Great little hike with some impressive views to college cove and Trinidad Head. Great spot for whale watching too.

Thu Jan 31 2019

I come to Trinidad every year to visit family, but this is the first time I went on this trail. I didn’t know about it until recently. Flat, well kept and it has magnificent views everywhere. Take the spurs!

Fri Jul 27 2018

A nice easy trail with a decent viewpoint. It was a cloudy day, but I still enjoyed myself. There was a path down to the beach. I was able to do the whole thing in flip-flops with only a few spots of difficulty.

Mon Jul 02 2018

Great trail combines flat forest trail with ocean view that breaks out at the top of Elk Head. Look down on Seal Rock and hear Sea lions barking. Watch ocean going fishing boats come and go.

Mon Nov 06 2017

Nice little trail with some great views. Surprising amount of cars and lack of people on the trail. Quite a few spurs off in every direction with people taking alternate routes away from the main trail. heard kids playing off in the trees in several places. Nice ocean views off some of the spurs!

Sat Jun 29 2019