Elfin Forest Olivenhain Reserve Loop Trail

Elfin Forest Olivenhain Reserve Loop Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Great hike for dogs. Lots of elevation gained in the first mile with nice shade. At the top the trail widens and there are tons of options for where to head next. Really enjoyed, will be back.

Awesome trail! Lots of other trails branch off the main trail so there are plenty of options for adding additional miles

This place is AWESOME, especially if you have a dog!! So the trail itself, is pretty well maintained. I would recommend using the AllTrails Map, because it branches off at a few points. About 1 mile in, you are able to take your dog off leash, until you finish the trail and are back at the 1 mile mark!! The trail itself had some beautiful sights along the way. Just beware, there are certain parts that are a little steep, there is little to no shade, and my GPS tracked me hiking 6.53 miles, not 5.9 miles. Overall, it is a great trail that I would recommend.

Scenic but a bit rocky and loose in spots.

Wonderful hiking area! I will return to explore other trails. However my GPS disagrees with the stated mileage - I clocked 7.6 miles.

I love this place

Easy but beautiful area.

Not for the faint of heart! Most of it is uphill. Bring snacks and water!

I loved this area! Many different trails to choose from.

Amazing trail. Very clean. Took us 4hours to do the whole loop. Walking slow and having 5-7mins rests here and there. Great one!

Great area to explore. There are so many trails, very well marked. We ended up logging about nine miles before I had realized how far we'd hiked. I found this hike looking for interesting local trails and read about the Elfin Forest's haunted past. Great dog hike too.

Beautiful scenery everywhere, from the waterfall, to the lake and dam, to the breathtaking views. So much to see and several different trails. I did the trail to Lake Hodges lookout and then did the extra loop trail from there to get in the extra mile. Some great steep hills for cardio!

Nice hike up to the Lake Hodges Overlook. The first half is a mile and a half of switchbacks going up about 800 feet. The rest of the elevation gain is going up and down hills at the reservoir top on the way to the overlook. Make sure you have good footware. The trail is quite rocky at times.

Cool hike in Escondido.

Went with 10 year old son. Was easy for both of us.

Great hike beautiful views

Instant workout, staging area and then a climb to the top. I want to say it was 1100 ft elevation climb in about 1.75 miles to the top, completely worth it. Over all great trail, it’s pretty popular and it has markers in the paths.

Nice workout and pretty