Elephant Rock Trail

Elephant Rock Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Markleeville, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This hike takes you along two lakes and slight slopes over crops of granite to a large rock that is for some reason called Elephant Rock.

Quick hike, easy trail.

A great hike for families with kids. The lake is absolutely beautiful and the scenery is pretty amazing. The down side is the last half of the trail is not maintained or easily identified. We went in late June and figured it would have been blazed. There was a sign saying "mountain bike" with a arrow. I was not sure if that was the way we were supposed to go. I'll try that way next time. perhaps that is the 2nd half of the trail we were looking for.

We ended walking along the lake and brought our paddle boards. I am glad we missed the hike and had more time to enjoy this amazing alpine lake.

Sunday, November 01, 2015