El Prieto Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pasadena, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 912 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

It is currently closed due to COVID19.

I have to say, if you’re looking for a killer loop that has a bit of everything, this is it. You get paved fire road, a killer sometimes technical climb, and a fun descent. Your ride down starts off in the more dusty mountain side section and ends up in the woods with a rocky, technical, switch back single track. It’s not for beginners. If you don’t know the loop already, it’s easy to miss the right path (when you hit the back yard area, look behind you to your right for the Trail back down, it’s very hidden and not obvious at all) This is a great loop, see you on the trail!

Nice trail for running. Wide for the first 1.5 miles so there’s room for bikes and running and hiking. Next few miles are much more hilly and narrow, still great.

Did this trail as part of another loop. Not a tone of water on it but enough. The trail is shaded and really pretty.

Great route but for intermediate and experienced riders only IMO. Got back into cycling recently and gave this trail a shot on my new mountain bike giant roam and only lasted 4 miles round trip as it got too rocky and my stock tires couldn’t handle the dirt to grip. I’ll be back great route just not for a beginner like myself.

Sat Apr 13 2019

I recommend this trial for people that like to hike near the city. it's a short and nice trail also with more connections.

Mon Apr 08 2019

Sun Dec 30 2018

I don’t know if I just never found the actual trail that leads into the mountains, but my experience was all pavement next to empty basins. Good for a leisurely stroll maybe? And seemed great for biking.

Mon Dec 03 2018

should be writing two separate reviews considering how different the experiences are as a mountain biker and as a hiker, but I don't think All Trails allows for that. As a mountain biker, I've ridden this trail about over 40 times, according to my Strava account, and I was riding it long before Strava was around, so obviously I don't hate it. This trail is a blast! There are a lot of fun technical challenges: little drop offs, rock gardens, log hops and tight switchbacks that force you to use all of your MTB skills. The little creek crossings and the shaded sections add to the joy of this trail. I also like that you can pedal up a relatively easy fire road to have such a rewarding pay off. Do note that there is some cliff exposure. Nothing too serious, but if heights make you nervous at all, you might want to avoid this one. I do try to avoid this trail in the morning on weekends because there are so many hikers that it's difficult to keep up a good rhythm on the descent. This trail is also a nice trail running option because it's shaded and there are similar challenges as mountain biking. As a hike, I think it leaves a lot to be desired. What is scenic rolling by on two wheels, is a little boring and unrewarding as a hike. The few times I have hiked this I've found myself imaging what fun I'd be having if I were on my bike. In the summer, the trail gets excessively dry and hot. Additionally, the view from Brown Mountain Road at the end is really nothing spectacular. In fact, if I do hike in this canyon, I prefer to just hike up the arroyo. Lastly, there is plenty of wildlife on this trail. Deer and squirrels abound, but I've also seen foxes, rabbits, snakes, coyote, owls, bobcats, and even a bear.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Moderate Trail with a lot of bikers so keep your ears and eyes open!

Sat Sep 15 2018

Fun, shaded trail. Be weary of mountain bikers.

Wed Sep 05 2018

Yes, this trail is very popular with mountain bikers, but I don't get the hate. The dozen or so we saw this morning were all unfailingly courteous. The trail itself is pleasant. The first mile or so is a dull walk on a paved road near JPL. After that, though, it's a pretty, shaded single track that goes up the canyon. Nothing special, but nice.

Tue Apr 17 2018

Beautiful covered moderate hike, but full of mountain bikers who don’t yield to hikers. Maybe there’s a time that they don’t go bonsai down, but at least 30 down on a Sunday morning at 9 am. Too bad, use to be a lovely shaded hike, but some bikers don’t say thanks to your shimming to the side and a couple may run you down. Ten years ago awesome, now it should just be a bikers trail because it’s dangerous for hikers.

recorded Recording - May 11, 3:38 PM