El Dorado Trail from Smithflat

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(107)
Camino, California

El Dorado Trail from Smithflat is a 14.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Camino, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.0 km Elevation Gain: 272 m Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

rails trails

Great trail mostly flat wildlife, wildflowers bridge from Placerville is 2.25 miles approx. if you go to next bench past bridge it is 2.5 miles. Homeless camp below on the right about .15 miles from Placerville side trail start near auto body shop. We had fun and saw lots cool things. The reported, trash and feces is no longer an issue. Clear and nice hike with exercise stops about every .5 miles

There’s the freeway on one side and houses on the other but there are some pretty spots in between! Lots and lots of people and had a weird run in with a creepy guy so don’t go alone if you’re female.

Nice trail to ride, walk, or run. I took my daughter's for a little excercise this afternoon :)

good walking trail, I went 5 miles, all uphill. Not a good trail for bikes with the uphill the first 5 miles.

Great walk!

Eh Much like the other parts of this trail, lots of trash. It’s nice to walk on but wish it was cleaner.

Mon Apr 29 2019

Yes, yes and yes, this trail needs to go over or under Hwy 50. Can you imagine being able to access Apple Hill and beyond on foot or a bike from Placerville. After you cross the highway there are unlimited options, on and off road.

private property
Fri Mar 01 2019

Homeless encampment, garbage everywhere, goes behind people’s houses the whole time, too many other people and right next to the freeway the whole time.

Thu Jan 24 2019

nice walk... easy and people/dog friendly

Sun Jan 13 2019

It was a nice paved path, benches along the way. yes it would be good for bikes. Easy walk , a few people out today. Nice view Parking at smith flat rd

Wed Dec 26 2018

I walk this trail frequently. it's a nicely maintained, paved walking trail, and is pretty easy. the only downside is there are a good amount of homeless people who "reside" in the bushes along the trail, and they leave A LOT of trash

Fri Sep 28 2018

I’ve walked this trail many times. Love it. I haven’t checked out the new paved section yet.

Sat Aug 11 2018

El Dorado county needs to start connecting the trails (either dg it or pave it ) and have it go continuously past Camino on into El Dorado National Forest, I love biking it, it's a good trail

Sat Jun 30 2018

Great trail (walking and biking). I have exercised on this trail, too many times to count. A very good hike, 5-6 miles round trip is very doable.

Sun Jul 30 2017

Great starter trail. No tech req. Start early in summer.

Sun Jun 11 2017

Nice relatively flat easy hike. Beautiful wild flowers. Picturesque views of the hills. Easy parking.

Tue Jun 06 2017

My daughter and her boyfriend used this app. and they used it for hiking...worked great for them!

Thu May 25 2017

Better for bikes

Thu May 18 2017

great views, lots of shade & benches along the way.

Mon Jan 30 2017

Great walk, nice trail good views

Thu Dec 22 2016

So beautiful! Nice cool pools along the way to cool off by. Beautiful scenery.

Sun Dec 04 2016

Good little walk, dogs loved it (:

Sun Nov 27 2016

It's a good trail to stretch your legs but with so many houses on the trail the outdoor appeal is just ok. I did love seeing the horses and deer on this trail.

Sat Jul 23 2016

To say that this trail is "#1 of 1 in Lumsden Park" is an extreme stretch. It's nowhere near Lumsden Park. The "directions" took me to a dead-end road where a school is, so I updated Google maps to Lumsden Park, which was on the opposite side of the freeway and is fairly small with very little parking, and there aren't even road signs to the park. I asked some locals at the park and they said the trail isn't in Lumsden, but since it's a long trail there are many places to park and join it. Since it took me an hour to drive to Placerville I was determined to find the El Dorado Trail. I finally drove around and parked on the corner of where Jacquier Rd turns into Smith Flat Road, which is at the beginning/end of the trail. I spent so much time trying to find it that by the time I did, I barely was able to walk the trail because it was over 90 degrees. I'll go back and walk it now that I know where it's at, but the wrong details and directions made it very frustrating.

Fri Jul 31 2015

Consider its walking trail not a hike as it is paved. Nice incline, good for training

Wed Jul 15 2015

all purpose trail. I've trained on this trail for running. Slight incline in some places for some hill work.

Mon Mar 18 2013

Very nice, easy trail. We walked, but I'm definitely going back with bikes so that we can go farther. Takes you along highway 50, but still has lots of pretty views. Almost the entire trail is shaded, so even on a 70+ degree day I was still chilly. I guess eventually this trail will connect with the American River Bike Trail and you'll be able to ride from Sacramento to the Tahoe basin.

Tue Feb 05 2013

Love this trail! The view changes several times from the start to the finish.

Mon Jan 28 2013

Nice hike follows along (and over) hwy#50. We took our dogs and there were just a few other people out doing the same. Turned round after 4 miles so we didn't quite make it to the end but it felt like we could walk all the way to Tahoe! Can't wait to do it again.