El Dorado Trail from Smithflat

El Dorado Trail from Smithflat is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Placerville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

rails trails

Great starter trail. No tech req. Start early in summer.

Nice relatively flat easy hike. Beautiful wild flowers. Picturesque views of the hills. Easy parking.

My daughter and her boyfriend used this app. and they used it for hiking...worked great for them!

Better for bikes

great views, lots of shade & benches along the way.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Great walk, nice trail good views

Thursday, December 22, 2016

So beautiful! Nice cool pools along the way to cool off by. Beautiful scenery.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Good little walk, dogs loved it (:

Sunday, November 27, 2016

It's a good trail to stretch your legs but with so many houses on the trail the outdoor appeal is just ok. I did love seeing the horses and deer on this trail.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

To say that this trail is "#1 of 1 in Lumsden Park" is an extreme stretch. It's nowhere near Lumsden Park. The "directions" took me to a dead-end road where a school is, so I updated Google maps to Lumsden Park, which was on the opposite side of the freeway and is fairly small with very little parking, and there aren't even road signs to the park. I asked some locals at the park and they said the trail isn't in Lumsden, but since it's a long trail there are many places to park and join it. Since it took me an hour to drive to Placerville I was determined to find the El Dorado Trail. I finally drove around and parked on the corner of where Jacquier Rd turns into Smith Flat Road, which is at the beginning/end of the trail. I spent so much time trying to find it that by the time I did, I barely was able to walk the trail because it was over 90 degrees. I'll go back and walk it now that I know where it's at, but the wrong details and directions made it very frustrating.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Consider its walking trail not a hike as it is paved. Nice incline, good for training

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

all purpose trail. I've trained on this trail for running. Slight incline in some places for some hill work.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Very nice, easy trail. We walked, but I'm definitely going back with bikes so that we can go farther. Takes you along highway 50, but still has lots of pretty views. Almost the entire trail is shaded, so even on a 70+ degree day I was still chilly. I guess eventually this trail will connect with the American River Bike Trail and you'll be able to ride from Sacramento to the Tahoe basin.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Love this trail! The view changes several times from the start to the finish.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Nice hike follows along (and over) hwy#50. We took our dogs and there were just a few other people out doing the same. Turned round after 4 miles so we didn't quite make it to the end but it felt like we could walk all the way to Tahoe! Can't wait to do it again.

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

It's fun to take this trail past the pavement, all the way to the end, which leads to no where. It serves a great purpose for the community. Not too many views and no water landmarks, but some fine sites and a few hidden geocaches. Recommend for family adventures. Very fun for bicyclists.

Friday, February 03, 2012

Nice trail that serves its purpose of being something for everyone! Dog walkers, bike riders, hikers, families, singles - everyone can use this trail! Right in the middle of town, but feels like you are in nature setting most of the time. Paved on most parts and a few entrance options (I like the Smith Flat entrance and the more suburban entrance off Missouri Flat). I have walked this and ridden on my mountain bike. It does get icy/cold in the winter, but the summer heat from the city isn't nearly as bad here.

Sunday, February 12, 2017