El Dorado Park Nature Trail

El Dorado Park Nature Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Long Beach, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

These trails are hidden gems in the busy city of Long Beach. You would never know that you were not lost in hidden woods, rather then less then 1/2 mile from a busy freeway. The nature center itself is very good, featuring a little menagerie of local wildlife, and educational things for children. They sell items, and they occasionally have special events like informational hikes looking for butterflies or birds. It is totally worth a stop to check it out before going on the trails. The hikes are easy. On a weekend, you will find many families with children on the trails. They do not permit bicycles or dogs on the nature trails, though they are both allowed in the rest of the park. There is a lot of wildlife to see here too. You will find egrets and herons in the lake, lizards running around in the sun if it's warm, bunnies if you're lucky, possibly a hawk or two soaring on the thermals. It's a great escape from city life, and extremely easy to get to. $5 Fee to Park.

A hidden gem. I wasn't sure what to expect but the trail did not disappoint. We arrived before the gates were open. Since we arrived so early there was no one at the parking kiosk so we did not pay to park. The walk was easy and the views were lovely. My friend and I did the 2 mile loop and then completed the 1 mile loop. We were able to keep up a steady pace even when coming up on fellow walkers.

Please be prepared to pay entrance fee- it was $8 for today (which we were not expecting).
There are cool aspects of the park- archery range, kiddie train, glider field.
There is a nature reserve but I cannot comment as it was closed today.
The walkway around "Horseshoe Lake" was a disgrace- crumbling into the filthy water with debris floating in it as well as entirely covered in some places with goose poop.
We will likely return because it's close to our home but not sure I'd recommend traveling a distance to come here.

All and all, the El Dorado Park Nature Trail was a good trail. It went beyond my expectation for being in the city, and there was lots of wildlife.

I would recommend it either for a quick and easy hike with the boys or a nice romantic getaway for couples.

I would walk it again. I say walk because it was not a hike. It was a walk on the trail, which I don't mind if it is scenic and long enough.

I would recommend you take the 1/4 mile nature hike first, take a picture of the map second, and depending on how much time you have choose either the 1 or 2 mile hike.

The trail was easy to follow and it is hard to get lost, which is a plus for inexperienced hikers or people who jump into it blindly.

Lots of great scenic spots, although parking was 6 dollars, and there tends to be lots of people. Also, you can't bring dogs. I would recommend going early.

Great trail for strollers!

Great and peaceful place to take family. Easy walk/hike type of trail.

love it