El Dorado Park Nature Trail

El Dorado Park Nature Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Long Beach, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

These trails are hidden gems in the busy city of Long Beach. You would never know that you were not lost in hidden woods, rather then less then 1/2 mile from a busy freeway. The nature center itself is very good, featuring a little menagerie of local wildlife, and educational things for children. They sell items, and they occasionally have special events like informational hikes looking for butterflies or birds. It is totally worth a stop to check it out before going on the trails. The hikes are easy. On a weekend, you will find many families with children on the trails. They do not permit bicycles or dogs on the nature trails, though they are both allowed in the rest of the park. There is a lot of wildlife to see here too. You will find egrets and herons in the lake, lizards running around in the sun if it's warm, bunnies if you're lucky, possibly a hawk or two soaring on the thermals. It's a great escape from city life, and extremely easy to get to. $5 Fee to Park.

1 hour ago

Great place to hike !!! Easy to get to .
Hikes are easy and scenic. Buy a annual pass if you plan on coming back . It's a great deal !!!

Great little trail. Well maintained.

Very nice, I should have got here a little earlier, a lot of people. Parking was $7.

Love this 2 mile hike, walk it 3-4 times a week and always a joy. constantly greeted along the trail by squirrels, rabbits, lizards, birds and the turtles.
if you just want a quiet place to be with nature, there are many areas along trails to sit on benches and take it all in. Early morning and later afternoons are my favorite times.

Very pleasant, easy to manage/navigate. The trails are well maintained, the wildlife is plentiful, and the scenery is stunning.

Personally, I prefer hikes with lighter foot-traffic (Rather feel like an explorer than a tourist), but this one is an exception. There are three hikes to choose from: 1/4 mile, 1 mile, and 2 mile, with the 2 mile being the best, in my opinion. However, all are worth experiencing, and, since the terrain is relatively flat, I’d recommend doing all 3 in one trip.

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a quick, pleasant hike

Pro Tip: there is parking in the neighborhoods near the park (check signs for street sweeping). It is a bit of a walk to and from the trails, but consider it a warm up for what’s to come

Easy, beautiful walk that will take you away from the hustle and bustle of the city for a short time.

Easy and enjoyable hike. Perfect getaway from the city life even if it's for an hour or so.

Super easy trail that's great for kids. It's pretty and has benches everywhere so you can rest and take in the view of the water.

Just a note, there is NO running allowed on these trails and it is strictly enforced. (Trust me I've got myself in trouble:)

Perfect trail for the little ones. We live this place!

Flat, not challenging at all. Many runners and walkers.

Nice place close to home to get an outside stroll in.

Great little trail in Long Beach. Went on a weekend when there were quite a lot of people. All in all a nice break from the urban sprawl.

Easy trail for kids. Lots of shade. Not much workout. Paid parking.

Excellent getaway. Reminds me of my home in Oregon in spots.

August 19. 2017
This is a nice trail. It seems to need a little bit of cleaning up. some of the brush just seems way to thick. Also this trail is probably much prettier in the winter or spring with flowers etc. in August it's just really dusty and there are a lot of spider webs but obvioulsy that just comes with the area. Nobody can really do much about that. It would be nice if the description had mentioned that there you have to pay for parking (cash only). I went on a Friday so it was 6$ on other weekdays it's 5$ and I think 7 or 8 on the weekend (sorry didnt really look at the price on the weekend). I would probably come more often again if there was no parking fee.
I went with my one year old. I carried her in a backpack a stroller wouldn't have been fun here. It's a little too sandy. Maybe one of those jogging strollers with big wheels would be fine. We saw a few animals : turtles, squirrels, a crane, lots of birds, dragon flies and even a little bunny. It's definitely a great trail for children. Very easy to hike.

Great for the kids. A lot of beautiful nature to observe. Not at all strenuous, more like a leisurely stroll.

Perfect little trail for families. We saw some strollers on the path, though I don't recommend that.
Lots of fun stuff for the kids to see. There's a one mile or two mile loop; depending on the endurance level of your kids.
The nature center is one of the best we've visited. Really well maintained and lots of things for the kids to touch!!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Great little sanctuary in the middle of the busy city. Good for viewing wildlife and learning your plants.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Super pretty !! Wish it was free :(

Monday, July 03, 2017

Easy, pretty and fun setting.
Great place to take the dog, let them burn off some energy in the dark park located in the front of the park before going for a walk around.

This park is Dog Friendly (but must be On Leash)

Thursday, June 22, 2017

A hidden gem. I wasn't sure what to expect but the trail did not disappoint. We arrived before the gates were open. Since we arrived so early there was no one at the parking kiosk so we did not pay to park. The walk was easy and the views were lovely. My friend and I did the 2 mile loop and then completed the 1 mile loop. We were able to keep up a steady pace even when coming up on fellow walkers.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Please be prepared to pay entrance fee- it was $8 for today (which we were not expecting).
There are cool aspects of the park- archery range, kiddie train, glider field.
There is a nature reserve but I cannot comment as it was closed today.
The walkway around "Horseshoe Lake" was a disgrace- crumbling into the filthy water with debris floating in it as well as entirely covered in some places with goose poop.
We will likely return because it's close to our home but not sure I'd recommend traveling a distance to come here.

Monday, May 29, 2017

All and all, the El Dorado Park Nature Trail was a good trail. It went beyond my expectation for being in the city, and there was lots of wildlife.

I would recommend it either for a quick and easy hike with the boys or a nice romantic getaway for couples.

I would walk it again. I say walk because it was not a hike. It was a walk on the trail, which I don't mind if it is scenic and long enough.

I would recommend you take the 1/4 mile nature hike first, take a picture of the map second, and depending on how much time you have choose either the 1 or 2 mile hike.

The trail was easy to follow and it is hard to get lost, which is a plus for inexperienced hikers or people who jump into it blindly.

Lots of great scenic spots, although parking was 6 dollars, and there tends to be lots of people. Also, you can't bring dogs. I would recommend going early.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Great trail for strollers!

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Great and peaceful place to take family. Easy walk/hike type of trail.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

love it

Friday, March 10, 2017

Great place to get out and walk and enjoy nature at a slow pace, plenty of wildlife to see! It's 5$ for weekday parking and you have access to a lot of nice areas. the trail is where we spent our time, and it was a enjoyable small hike.

Monday, February 06, 2017

ifts a fun easy trail, lots of wildlife from birds,rabbits,squrriels,ducks,turtles, and even a small coyote.