El Dorado Park Nature Trail

El Dorado Park Nature Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Long Beach, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

These trails are hidden gems in the busy city of Long Beach. You would never know that you were not lost in hidden woods, rather then less then 1/2 mile from a busy freeway. The nature center itself is very good, featuring a little menagerie of local wildlife, and educational things for children. They sell items, and they occasionally have special events like informational hikes looking for butterflies or birds. It is totally worth a stop to check it out before going on the trails. The hikes are easy. On a weekend, you will find many families with children on the trails. They do not permit bicycles or dogs on the nature trails, though they are both allowed in the rest of the park. There is a lot of wildlife to see here too. You will find egrets and herons in the lake, lizards running around in the sun if it's warm, bunnies if you're lucky, possibly a hawk or two soaring on the thermals. It's a great escape from city life, and extremely easy to get to. $5 Fee to Park.

1 hour ago

Easy trail for kids. Lots of shade. Not much workout. Paid parking.

Excellent getaway. Reminds me of my home in Oregon in spots.

August 19. 2017
This is a nice trail. It seems to need a little bit of cleaning up. some of the brush just seems way to thick. Also this trail is probably much prettier in the winter or spring with flowers etc. in August it's just really dusty and there are a lot of spider webs but obvioulsy that just comes with the area. Nobody can really do much about that. It would be nice if the description had mentioned that there you have to pay for parking (cash only). I went on a Friday so it was 6$ on other weekdays it's 5$ and I think 7 or 8 on the weekend (sorry didnt really look at the price on the weekend). I would probably come more often again if there was no parking fee.
I went with my one year old. I carried her in a backpack a stroller wouldn't have been fun here. It's a little too sandy. Maybe one of those jogging strollers with big wheels would be fine. We saw a few animals : turtles, squirrels, a crane, lots of birds, dragon flies and even a little bunny. It's definitely a great trail for children. Very easy to hike.

Great for the kids. A lot of beautiful nature to observe. Not at all strenuous, more like a leisurely stroll.

Perfect little trail for families. We saw some strollers on the path, though I don't recommend that.
Lots of fun stuff for the kids to see. There's a one mile or two mile loop; depending on the endurance level of your kids.
The nature center is one of the best we've visited. Really well maintained and lots of things for the kids to touch!!

Great little sanctuary in the middle of the busy city. Good for viewing wildlife and learning your plants.

Super pretty !! Wish it was free :(

Easy, pretty and fun setting.
Great place to take the dog, let them burn off some energy in the dark park located in the front of the park before going for a walk around.

This park is Dog Friendly (but must be On Leash)

A hidden gem. I wasn't sure what to expect but the trail did not disappoint. We arrived before the gates were open. Since we arrived so early there was no one at the parking kiosk so we did not pay to park. The walk was easy and the views were lovely. My friend and I did the 2 mile loop and then completed the 1 mile loop. We were able to keep up a steady pace even when coming up on fellow walkers.

Please be prepared to pay entrance fee- it was $8 for today (which we were not expecting).
There are cool aspects of the park- archery range, kiddie train, glider field.
There is a nature reserve but I cannot comment as it was closed today.
The walkway around "Horseshoe Lake" was a disgrace- crumbling into the filthy water with debris floating in it as well as entirely covered in some places with goose poop.
We will likely return because it's close to our home but not sure I'd recommend traveling a distance to come here.