Ediza Lake Loop Trail

Ediza Lake Loop Trail is a 14.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Where do I get a permit for the trail? Tried looking on Recreation.gov and can't find it. Thank you.

We took this trail and continued from Ediza to Thousand Island Lake for a 3 day backpacking trip and it was nothing short of incredible.

For future hikers to Ediza Lake: beware, the crossing over Shadow Creek just before you reach the lake is very dangerous right now due to high water and a fast current. Do not attempt to cross. Keep the creek on your left and follow to the north side of the lake, you will have cross the cliff scramble to reach Ediza.

Simply amazing. A must do. Pictures don't do these Lakes justice. All Trails doesn't have a listing for this loop including Thousand Island Lake, which adds a lot to the experience - both due to adding Thousand Island and to be able to come back along the PCT with amazing views of the Minarets. Did it in a day (11 hours total with a couple rests), but it's probably more enjoyable to camp and savor it a little longer. As of 7/29 there are minor slick snow patches to deal with in several places, particularly on the descent into Garnet, and the river crossing is out below Ediza which means you have to bend to the right and do some minor rock scrambling to reach it. Above Ediza looked like micro spikes were probably needed if you wanted to get to Iceberg and Cecile but I didn't take a close look. Mosquitoes were very present all along Shadow Creek but Garnet and Thousand Island were relatively bug free.

This hike was nothing short of amazing. I've done a number of hikes in Yosemite / Tuolumne and other national parks in the area - and this rivals them all. Views are incredible - plan to make some stops to take in the lakes along the way, plenty of fresh water to filter if need be. I would caution anyone attempting to make the jump from the River trail to the John Muir Trail to keep a really really keen eye out for the left turn. We walked past it before realizing we had missed it. Also, when you get close to Garnet Lake, you kind of lose the trail - we found the rock scramble up a small valley shown in the GPS track here, but the trails are faint and a number of them lead in many different directions (having the GPS definitely helped!).

This would be a great day hike or weekend backpacking trip. There is VERY limited parking in the lots at Agnew Meadows. And we had no issues with bugs, I suppose because at night it had already started getting below freezing (I've heard others have had a terrible time with bugs here).

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Friday, July 08, 2016

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Friday, October 23, 2015

This is one of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done. I feel like the effort to reward ratio of this hike is well worth it - it is a relatively easy hike with a very reasonable gain and the stunning views and pristine lakes are absolutely amazing!!

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Great. Very scenic

Monday, July 20, 2015

Amazing

Saturday, March 28, 2015

How did you get to the trail head? I see the shuttles are not open in May. Looking to do this hike on Memorial weekend.

thanks!

Monday, July 14, 2014

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Monday, May 26, 2014

Everything my wife said below was spot on! Get out there and hike this one! Truly one of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done and I've done many including the Swiss Alps!

Monday, May 26, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed this hike Memorial Day weekend 2014 while camping at Red's Meadow. We hike pretty regularly and accomplished the 15 miles, 2898 ft ascent, as a day hike in just over 7 hours with plenty of snack breaks and even lunch at Ediza Lake.

The first mile is pretty flat along Agnew Meadow and just as you enter into the Ansel Adam's Wilderness it drops down into the valley. At 2.8 miles you pass the first lake, Olaine Lake. Very pretty but don't stop here!! Continuing on, just as you pass the bridge, the up hill trek begins. But don't be discouraged, it's more like an epic stair climber with GORGEOUS mountain views. At 5.5 miles you will be welcomed into Shadow Lake. This is one of the most beautiful and rewarding mountain lakes I have ever seen. And if you don't feel like doing the whole 7.5 miles to Ediza, this is a worthy stopping point. Moving on past Shadow Lake the trail meanders for another 200 ft elevation climb (only 2 more miles!) And these 2 miles are stunning, with glassy clear rivers, towering trees, and majestic peaks. As you round the last corner, Mt Ritter, Banner, and the Minarets give you quite a show. And my husband says he hasn't seen anything like it since the Swiss Alps! The time of year we did the hike, there was still snow on the lake (and crunchy patches along the trail) I would suggest waiting till mid June or July for the snow to melt. Reward yourself with a nap and head back. It's mostly downhill from here.

Here's a few extra pointers...
-You will be crossing quite a number of little creeks, so waterproof hiking boots are a plus.
-Bring lots of water. We went through 3 Liters each in out hydration packs, so lugging a water bottle isn't a good option. Or just bring a water filter pump and enjoy abundant mountain water.
- Be prepared for possible random thunder shower.
- Bring more food and snacks than you think you need. We had 2 Clif Bars each and an MRE (meals ready to eat) which we prepared with our JetBoil (an excellent investment)