Echo Peak Loop Trail

Echo Peak Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Echo Lake, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,738 feet Route Type: Loop

The addition of Flagpole Peak to the loop made for a great day.

Very nice hike, I went counterclockwise. Had super weather and took about 6 hours with many breaks. Very nice way with easy climbing. As soon as you reach the summit today it is easy to get off the mountain. Just run out and rest your feet in the lake.

The trail has great views. Recommend compass/topo map, or gps as there is no trail for a few miles on the steep side up to the peak, but with the lakes there is a decent amount to terrain associate off of.

Very scenic trail. Starts relatively flat along the length of echo lake, clearly defined trail, spikes used in this section since compacted. As you turn to start the loop, switch to snowshoes required. still relatively easy to follow, a few icy spots. I had service the whole time to check map. Pretty consistent incline to peak. I did an out-and-back to echo peak due to time constraints. 3 hrs to peak and super quick on return. Icy road heading in to trailhead with traffic at peak hours, had to walk the last halfmile due to snow. Great experience, panoramic views and easy to navigate.

This was a very challenging hike all trails has it at 7 1/2 it’s closer to 10. There is a choice to make either to go to Tamarack Lake or head up to Loop, Trail it was a very fun hike lots of use. Admittedly in some areas I was lost all trails seemed to be lost as well.Fortunately we ran into a few other hikers and we lead the way down I would not recommend this hike if you were not in hiking shape we made it but nothing like no other choice lots of loose gravel and very dangerous areas once again a great hike we loved it had a great time again very challenging and it’s some parts very dangerous.

went counter clockwise on the loop and definitely recommend having a GPS locator and offline maps so you can keep on the right trail. we made mistake of following some hot pink flags up when we got on the loop section which takes you too far left. maybe that is another trail but we managed to find our way back to the right trail with our GPS. tough but fun if you like a challenge. hot on a good section of the trail and did not see any reliable water sources so would recommend extra water on a hot/sunny day. some fun rock scrambles so make sure you are in shape for a little climbing in areas. recommend layers, as with most mountains the peak was windy and a bit chilly. exhausted at end but such a beautiful hike!!!

beautiful views! Echo Lakes looked absolutely beautiful with no boats on the water! The "counter clockwise" trail was hard to find so we hiked it clockwise, wasn't that bad and you should anticipate losing the trail a couple of times. Also, we left rock towers next to the Counter clockwise entrance, you're welcome! ;)

Sunday, July 15, 2018

This "trail" is absolutely terrible. The park to echo peak is unmarked and a majority of the loop is marked. It's an EXTREMELY dangerous trail as it's slippery very steep inclines and not well worn. I'd recommend to take this off all trails if I could. I managed to slip and scrap my elbows back and wrist and my boyfriend the same. ALSO! bring bug repellent with you. Mosquitos will eat your ass alive. If you decide to risk your life go counter clockwise. After a long 8 mile hike this was not worth almost losing our lives. Do yourself a favor and do the other trail where it's a walk along the lake and then back.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

very difficult. i did the hike today & if you go counter clockwise for this loop, there are no markers except for stacked stones and no visual trail, which makes it all the more fun! we asked passing hikers for some tips & asked the right person who showed us the granite highway (also difficult and sketch in places) i recommend going counter clockwise so way back through is downhill. steep terrain and granite rock are toughest part of hike! but. the. view. totally worth it!

Thursday, July 05, 2018

Do the trail counter clockwise. Lots of trail unmarked. Have gps. Did in four hours. Good workout. Beautiful up top!! Take the water taxi on way back.

Friday, May 18, 2018

I love this hike! It's a pretty strenuous hike but so worth it! The views at the top are spectacular!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Started at the south end of Lower Echo Lake at around 10am. Took the PCT to Spring Trail to make it to the Peak. Spring Trail is fairly steep until you get to Echo Peak Trail and a bit hard to navigate. There are some flat steep rocks you have to climb. Watchout for wet spots. They are like ice. The Alltrails map is very handy here. The view at that junction is great. Going onto Echo Trail, it starts to flatten out. The Peak is wonderful and well worth the hike. I returned via the spring trail again since is was fresh in my head. I again didn't have enough water. About 40oz for me and the same for my wife. Ran out of water half way back. Ugh! Next time, 2 liters each! I hate being thirsty and its unsafe. I liked the hike due to its diversity in technical skill. At the top, the skies were completely clear and the view is wonderful. I am a very novice hiker and now can't wait to do more!!!

Monday, July 10, 2017

Absolutely stunning views from the top at Echo Peak! The highest point is approximately 8900ft elevation. It's a tough hike over technical terrain, good hiking boots/shoes are a must and waterproof too right now. Also strongly suggest taking a GPS map because the trail is easy to lose once you turn off the PCT and head upwards. Alltrails Pro came in really handy on this one! I did the loop in a counter-clockwise direction, and leaving the peak heading back down the mountain to the SW there are still many large areas of snow. Totally passable as of July 9, but it's impossible to track the trail visually in spots due to all the snow and water running down. Triangle Lake trail had a stream running down most of the trail also. The app tracked my hike at 8.5 miles and 1900ft elevation gain.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Did this in May 2016. Spectacular views. Lost the trail in the snow but you just head up - the top is easy to find.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Did this loop (counter-clockwise) in early May 2016. Great hike for this time of year, as the front half of the loop is south-facing. The road to Echo Chalet was still closed due to snow, so we had to park at the sno-park right off the 50 (Parking permits available at the general store in Strawberry). This added about 2 miles to the trip. In early May there were still decent sized patches of snow on the front-half of the trail. Once you get to the top of Lower Echo Lake the trail essentially disappears, so we just followed one of the many streams up up up. At the right turn on Spring Trail, the trail itself was under a few feet of snow, so we headed up the granite in the general direction of the ridge line. You don't need a trail in this section really as there is only one way you can possibly go (up). Some large patches of shallow snow dotted the ridge line, until the final half mile, where the snow disappears and the trail to the summit becomes visible. We could not find a register at the summit. (Safety note: snow on the leeward side (toward Lake Tahoe) of the ridge is likely to be unstable and it's a long way down. Stick to the rocks). The back half of the loop (west-facing) was under 3+ feet of snow the entire way down (you could ski this). This helped to level out the steep sections of rock underneath as well as provide some shock absorption on descent. Watch for snow bridges between trees and above running water, the few collapses we had were more funny than painful, but your mileage may vary. The snow on the back half also means there is no trail to follow, so bring a topo/compass or a gps unit. Five stars, this one was an adventure for sure.

Saturday, June 23, 2018