Learn more

Echo Peak Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Echo Lake, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,738 feet Route Type: Loop

We did this hike June 27th, 2020. We chose to follow another’s map on here which made the trail a “loop”, instead of “out and back”. We went clockwise on the loop and started with the longer distance to the summit. The way to the summit was moderate with lots of rocky trail. Once we got on the the Echo Peak Trail the climb is gradual and steady. There were tons of mosquitoes and we were thankful we had spray. Once we got to the top of the ridge, we went left and made it to the top of Angora Peak and had a nice break. We hit the trail again, and made it to Echo Peak! The views were incredible. We continued down the trail (clockwise). Coming off of Echo Peak was gradual and sandy for the first mile. Then, the actual trail disappears as you are forced to decent granite rock. Some of the grade is at 70% and sketchy. I had to scoot down on my bottom in a few places. Thank goodness for the pre-downloaded map, it was challenging to find a route. We eventually met up with the PCT trail again at the end of Echo Lake. I was exhausted and my heart racing. I am not a novice hiker, but definitely not a rock climber either! If I was to do it again, I would take the long route up and make it an “out and back trail”!

Took echo Lakes Trailhead at the chalet to echo peak loop going clockwise. The turnoff for echo peak is a trail marker near the desolation wilderness sign, just past upper echo lake. The sign reads "Triangle Lake". Currently, there are still many snow mounds that washout and hide the trail. We used GPS most of the way from the Triangle Lake post because it was difficult to follow and find the trail. Beautiful views at the top. Coming down, we opted to go out and back the way we came because another hiker warned us of poor trail markings and bouldering, which would have been hard on our older dog. Again, the trail back between the peak and triangle lake post was difficult to follow. If you walk on the snow, be careful as it can become slippery late in the day and sometimes you can step right through it. Overall a nice challenging hike that I would call moderate. It would be way easier if the trail was clear since we had to hike through thick wooded areas and sharp rocks at the top. It's mostly the altitude that gets you. If bringing a dog, bring boots for their feet. Also currently there are plenty of fresh water sources along the trail because of the snow run off. Be cautious of wet granite.

icy

This is one of my favorite trails and I have actually hiked this both directions - counterclockwise and clockwise. I am unsure of the counterclockwise comments, except that maybe some people will find the "non-trail" section harder to go down or if you lose the trail, you have more time on the front end to get your bearings. Anyway, I will say that the first time I did the trail counterclockwise, it took a lot of energy out of me and yes, we were climbing on large pieces of granite rock that were steep. By the time, we got to the peak, I was exhausted. Today, was different - going clockwise, we had a leisurely pace with the trail being pretty well marked. I wasn't tired when we got there and coming down was a bit tricky, but you just have to go slower. There is no defined path after leaving Echo Summit Peak trail, so having the Alltrails map is handy.

The addition of Flagpole Peak to the loop made for a great day.

Sehr schöne Wanderung, bin gegen den Uhrzeigersinn gelaufen. Hatte Super Wetter und habe circa 6 Stunden gebraucht mit vielen Pausen. Sehr schöner Weg mit Leichter Kletterei. Sobald man den Gipfel erreicht heute geht es bequem Berg ab. Nur noch ablaufen und die Füße im See ausruhen.

Mon Jul 08 2019

The trail has great views. Recommend compass/topo map, or gps as there is no trail for a few miles on the steep side up to the peak, but with the lakes there is a decent amount to terrain associate off of.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Very scenic trail. Starts relatively flat along the length of echo lake, clearly defined trail, spikes used in this section since compacted. As you turn to start the loop, switch to snowshoes required. still relatively easy to follow, a few icy spots. I had service the whole time to check map. Pretty consistent incline to peak. I did an out-and-back to echo peak due to time constraints. 3 hrs to peak and super quick on return. Icy road heading in to trailhead with traffic at peak hours, had to walk the last halfmile due to snow. Great experience, panoramic views and easy to navigate.

Mon Nov 12 2018

This was a very challenging hike all trails has it at 7 1/2 it’s closer to 10. There is a choice to make either to go to Tamarack Lake or head up to Loop, Trail it was a very fun hike lots of use. Admittedly in some areas I was lost all trails seemed to be lost as well.Fortunately we ran into a few other hikers and we lead the way down I would not recommend this hike if you were not in hiking shape we made it but nothing like no other choice lots of loose gravel and very dangerous areas once again a great hike we loved it had a great time again very challenging and it’s some parts very dangerous.

Thu Nov 08 2018

went counter clockwise on the loop and definitely recommend having a GPS locator and offline maps so you can keep on the right trail. we made mistake of following some hot pink flags up when we got on the loop section which takes you too far left. maybe that is another trail but we managed to find our way back to the right trail with our GPS. tough but fun if you like a challenge. hot on a good section of the trail and did not see any reliable water sources so would recommend extra water on a hot/sunny day. some fun rock scrambles so make sure you are in shape for a little climbing in areas. recommend layers, as with most mountains the peak was windy and a bit chilly. exhausted at end but such a beautiful hike!!!

Tue Oct 23 2018

beautiful views! Echo Lakes looked absolutely beautiful with no boats on the water! The "counter clockwise" trail was hard to find so we hiked it clockwise, wasn't that bad and you should anticipate losing the trail a couple of times. Also, we left rock towers next to the Counter clockwise entrance, you're welcome! ;)

Sun Jul 15 2018

This "trail" is absolutely terrible. The park to echo peak is unmarked and a majority of the loop is marked. It's an EXTREMELY dangerous trail as it's slippery very steep inclines and not well worn. I'd recommend to take this off all trails if I could. I managed to slip and scrap my elbows back and wrist and my boyfriend the same. ALSO! bring bug repellent with you. Mosquitos will eat your ass alive. If you decide to risk your life go counter clockwise. After a long 8 mile hike this was not worth almost losing our lives. Do yourself a favor and do the other trail where it's a walk along the lake and then back.

Tue Jul 10 2018

very difficult. i did the hike today & if you go counter clockwise for this loop, there are no markers except for stacked stones and no visual trail, which makes it all the more fun! we asked passing hikers for some tips & asked the right person who showed us the granite highway (also difficult and sketch in places) i recommend going counter clockwise so way back through is downhill. steep terrain and granite rock are toughest part of hike! but. the. view. totally worth it!

Thu Jul 05 2018

Do the trail counter clockwise. Lots of trail unmarked. Have gps. Did in four hours. Good workout. Beautiful up top!! Take the water taxi on way back.