Echo Mountain via Sam Merrill Trail

MODERATE 1,023 reviews

Echo Mountain via Sam Merrill Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 minute ago

UNA EXCELENTE AVENTURA UNA MANERA DE ECONTRARCE CON LA NATURALEZA ...

Took this trail downward coming from Chantry. Did a solid 24 mile hike. Reviewing this section because I wanted to give a shout out to the chap we bummed water from because we were at dangerous levels of dehydration. Lesson one, this whole area is very dry and has no water to speak of. Exiting from this location coming from Red Box, make sure you have tons of water during the summer.

Nice winding narrow cliff trail with great views. Not for those afraid of heights or children. Up top you will find the old mountain house ruins and history plaques making it my favorite hike thus far.

Great workout. Nice view in lieu of copious smog. The 'Echo Phone' is a blast!

My favorite hiking trail, the sunrise and sunset is amazing and it’s quick and easy.

Amazing workout and views!

This trail is great if you are looking for a solid 5 mile hike. It is a great hike if you are looking for a workout. You gain a decent amount of elevation (1400 ft) so you get high enough for a view of the San Gabriel Valley. The air conditions were pretty terrible with the smog from Los Angeles and the smoke from the several forest fires throughout SoCal. It is a very crowded trail so I prefer doing it at night and being able to see all of the city lights. I did see a rattle snake right on the trail so I would be aware and not play your music too loud so you can hear it.

I usually go to this hike but not during summer and it’s great. The only complaint I have is that some people aren’t considerate of the trail. Whether it is picking up after themselves or not making space for other people to get through I took off a star. The reason I say this is because it is a narrow trail and some can go down in pairs next to each other and the person going up doesn’t have space. All I’m saying is be mindful to stop and let that person go or not stand next to each other going up or down.

Otherwise great hike.

Nice and very hard . Yes

great hike we want to go back soon

Great hike last nite and way to step into my birthday..As I keep doing this hike weekly, I definitely feel a positive difference in my body and mind and its conditioning me to level up with ease onto longer and higher altitude trails.

Great hike. I was tempted to take a star off for the amount of fellow hikers. My friend and I were slow, so we were constantly moving to the side to let others pass (our problem, not theirs). However, the hike itself is worth five stars. The "destination" at the end was fun and the views were great. We started at about 6:45 am and were in shade most of the time, which was wonderful in the SoCal summer.

Virtual Hike: https://youtu.be/pZEPeV_vT2w

We met up slightly after the sunrise for a relatively cool hike, despite the season. The mountain ridges on the way up shielded us from the sun for the most of the ascent, and a bit cloud cover was an extra gift as well. The views on the way up are unparalleled, both of the San Gabriel Valley, JPL, and the San Gabriel Mountains. Once at the top, there sits the ruins of an old resort, the Echo Mountain House. There is a super cool Echo Phone towards the end of the ruins, past the water basin, which has some bright color graffiti. There’s a lot to see up here, not to mention the panoramic views of the Los Angeles area. The whole hike took about 3 hours for us, with a break at the top. I highly recommend this one. It’s a medium difficulty trail, because of the ascent, but probably a good transition for beginner to intermediate hikers. I’m definitely coming back, but I want to try some of the longer routes, possibly from the Sunset Ridge Loop Trail.

Hope you enjoy!

Playlist for the trail: https://sptfy.com/17U8

went back 2nite..lost my car keys (nissan) n house key..Argh!!! Most likely at Echo Mountain point ..still love this hike..if u find them plz contact....9 20am update..someone found my keys n my note..thanks to the d lady who found them and Paul who saw my note and called...will be back this weekend for another hike..Happy Trails

Attempted my 1st nite hike ever at 10pm last night. Facing the city lights ,
one foot in front of the other, headlights on , hiking backpack equipped with 6bottles H20, snacks , battery pack and cell phone charger. I trailed with hiking poles the scenic switchbacks. I recommend to focus light on ur step ahead as you may trip or step on a innocent tarantula. Take breaks to bring your heart at a cool beat and breath in and breath out slowly when needed... Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate..once u make it to the top , u can reward yourself with a cold one

Great hike starting at the ruins of the Cobb Estate, ending with the ruins of the historic Mt Lowe Railway and Echo Mountain, with spectacular views of Los Flores and Rubio Canyons, all the way to the ocean.

If you are a beginner looking for your first intermediate hike, this trail is for you: a well designed, well maintained, single track, easy to follow, friendly and popular, with a steady grade of about 12%.

One of my favorite hikes in the front range of the San Gabriels.

nice hike smooth trail beatiful view at the top

Crowded and popular, yet fun social trail for quick half day hike near LA. Moderate and dog friendly. Nice views on clear days.

Nice challenging but easily doable trail for kids. Great view and opportunity to explore the ruins as reward at the end. Probably closer to 5.25 miles altogether. Heavily used on the weekend.

A little challenging with the 5 y/o but the trooper made it! Proud of her. Other than that, great hike with family and friends. Not too much shade either so properly prepare for it

Tough hike, great views. The summit is beautiful and also a has an interesting history. A mind and body experience!

Good incline

Went Sunday morning (5/26/18) and started at 7am. Not as crowded as I thought it would be and it was still cloudy and cool. Hiked to the hotel remains, then all the way up to Inspiration Point. This was my first hike of this distance, but the views of Los Angeles through clouds was well worth my complaining of how tired I was!! I see this page states that the hike is 4.9 miles out and back, but the tracking I used on my cell phone showed that it totaled 11 miles. Regardless, it was well worth it.

Love this trail. Such a beautiful end view. Vistas are 180> degrease at the too!

Great historical hike.
Heavy traffic on the weekends

Get there early. You will have to park on the street and the later you get there the further you will park from the trailhead. It’s a beautiful hike but it can get packed and the trail is well maintained but narrow. We hiked up to the hotel remains and I regret not taking the extra time to take the detour to inspiration point. Next time!

One of my favorites. Consistent elevation gain, gorgeous views sunrise or sunset. Gets busy, so time accordingly.

the hike to the top is all uphill and there's not much shade but when you get there it's worth the hike

Great hike. Started at 6:00am on Sunday morning and had shade all the way up and down from Echo Mountain. Narrow and winding trail with good inclines. A bit crowded but everyone I came across was courteous.

Narrow winding trail with steep incline makes for great workout, 2-3 hours up and down. Amazing views of San Gabriel valley and City. Best views and photos at peak. Wild flowers bloom in the spring. Arrive early to avoid crowds and heat. Plenty of neighborhood parking. Gets hot in the summer.