Echo Mountain via Sam Merrill Trail

Echo Mountain via Sam Merrill Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A nice hike with great views the whole time. The climb is uphill all the way to the top. The trail is narrow so watch for mountain bikes, dogs, and other hikers.

Pretty steady ascend. Very beautiful view!

It’s good trail, long an healthy

Trail is all uphill and very narrow. Please be mindful while passing through. Wear hiking shoes and bring plenty of water as the trail has a lot of loose rocks and the weather can get hot depending on when you go. Great view of Pasadena, DTLA, and the ocean from the top. Happy Hiking!

it's a good work out I'll tell you what not much to see but if u want to get a good work out it's not to bad of a place.

Went earlier this morning ! Amazing hike !

This was more tough than I expected but it is worth it. It is a steady climb up, I’ve done some intense hiking in Yosemite so I think I went into this hike thinking it was going to be easy.

What mostly bothered me was the amount of humans on the trail. It gets narrow and while I am polite and slow down to pass and move to the side a little, many did not and will just plow through like you’re not there. Almost knocking you off in the more narrow areas.

Please everyone, being outside in nature is supposed to bring us together more with connection. Let’s be kind out there and show each other that we matter as a community and we care for one another’s safety.

Good moderate work for great views and beautiful diverse terrain. Relatively quick. Add some LA history of a bygone era and you too, will love this trail.

I would not classify this trail as hard for the regular hiker- there is no scrambling, the trail climbs moderately in elevation, and is easily navigated. Go early in the morning, with a headlamp about a half hour before the sun rises. You'll avoid the crowds coming down and will reach the top shortly after sunrise while the sky is still pink. The historical remnants from and information about the Mount Lowe railway are quite interesting and the view from top is 360 panoramic of the valley floor. This time of the year, it was cold! If you are cold sensitive at all, bring light gloves and some layers. No poles needed.

The remains of the old hotel are a nice reward. The “echophone” is fun too.

Good workout! Trail is narrow so when there’s lots of people, it could be hard to maneuver around. Watch out for the runners!

great in the early mornings since most of the trail is shaded being on the West side of the mountain.

I love the switch backs and getting to such a historic destination with amazing views.

It was nice trail but heavily traveled on the weekend. I’m a hiking newbie so the switch backs were tough. Well worth it though once i reached the top. I really enjoyed it.

Pretty crowded for a Saturday but not terrible. Great lung burner on the way up. Took me 45 min up and 45 down with no breaks. Would be great views if it weren't for the smoke from the fires.

Loved this hike. Good elevation gain and the views of the city are awesome.

This is perhaps one of my favorite destinations to go for a hike. My friend and I went just the other day and it was her first time. She loved it. It's a 2 1/2 mile hike and 3,000ft. excusion going uphill. I wouldn't recommend going here if you've never hiked before as the elevation can be intense, but once you push yourself, the view is so rewarding. Try to go in the morning, as it can get really hot during the afternoon. Bring plenty of water and snacks! So worth it!

I consider myself a beginner when it comes to hiking. But I can honestly say I don’t see it getting better than this. I got the workout of my life plus an amazing view with narrow trails that make it pretty exciting to accomplish.

Easy to moderate hike. about 2.2mi one way from trail head. Street parking. decent view of the city most of the way up but nothing too exciting. Cool historical spot at the top with picnic tables. Can get crowded.

Not too difficult