Echo Lakes Trail

Echo Lakes Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 511 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from South Lake Tahoe: Take Highway 50 southwest to Echo Summit and turn onto Johnson Pass Road. Stay left and the road will lead you to the parking area by Lower Echo Lake.

Hiked this a couple weeks ago right after an early 2” snowfall. Beautiful hike. Relatively easy or very low end moderate hike. Went early and didn’t see anyone else until 2/3rds of the way back.

A lot of up hill but Echo Peak views were beautiful.

one of my favorite places

What a beautiful way to spend my Friday! Hiked back to Tamarack and Rosston Lake. Check my four-year-old dog she loved it! Kind of rocky at times shade was intermittent but a very beautiful adventure :) lots of people on the trail to day.

recorded Echo Lakes Trail

Beautiful trail along edge of both lakes. Very sunny and rocky. Glad I took my hiking poles. Nice spots for photos. Besides birds no wildlife. Recommended.

Great views! Very quiet with a lot of birds. We went very early and were the only ones on the trail!

recorded Recording - Sep 20, 04:09 PM

Echo to Aloha lk far side

Beautiful hike. saw an eagle

So pretty !! Nice and easy trail .

The lake is gorgeous but the trail is very narrow and rocky. To crowded for my taste.

This was a beautiful hike..I was a little off kilter in the beginning as we parked in the dirt parking lot and couldn't find a marked trail. However, there was a dirt road heading out of the lot ( not the road we came in on), after a little exploration, we found the trail a few yards above the dirt road and took it to the trailhead..at lower echo lake. We made it a longer hike and went on to see upper echo lake, Tamarac and Aloha..beautiful!

The mileage really depends on where you park. Little parking so come as early as you can. The trail itself is pretty easy but rocky so watch your stepping. Views of the lake the whole way are awesome. Also you can take the water taxi back ($15 a person $8 for dogs) to the beginning once you hit upper echo lake if going back seems too long.

this is my favorite place to hike so far. The hike is pretty easy and the lake is beautiful.

Great view of the lake the entire time. Expect crowds.

Moderate to hard due to loose stone

great trail with lots of views and expect crowds

This is now my favorite hike of all time! Pretty steep incline to start but so worth it! Stunning!!!

recorded Echo Lakes Trail

Can’t say enough about this great hike! We arrived around 11:15am, and parking was pretty full, so I would recommend getting there a little earlier. Trail was great with amazing views almost the entire time. Good mix of sun and shade. Overall really satisfying hike. We stopped at the dock at the far end of the smaller lake, hung out for a bit with feet in the cool water, then hiked back (but you can take the boat shuttle if you prefer). Start to finish (with stops for snacks and pictures) was about 3.5 hours.

This is an easy hike (not sure why they say moderate, maybe do to distance ). Lots of Family and Children. Stunning views all along the way. We did not go all the way around. We hiked all day we did an out and back. Lots of amazing houses, and great rock formations. Next time we’d pack a back pack with lunch and plop down on a rock. Go early, it’s very exposed. Worth doing it at least once.

So incredibly beautiful but too many people for me on a weekend day for a day hike. The further out you go, the less people, but the first 3 miles out and back have lots of people; many with no trail etiquette that will hold you up or just stop for a break right on the trail. Even with the “not so brights” it’s one of the most beautiful views on my TRT adventure that is not of Tahoe. Can’t wait to finish here when we do the Barker Pass to Echo leg on the TRT 2019 adventure.