Learn more

East Weaver Lake Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Junction City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 885 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Mapping services might direct you to Conrad Gulch Road. The trailhead is on Weaver Bally Road. This road is dirt and might be difficult for 2WD vehicles. The Weaverville Ranger District office is located along Main Street in Weaverville, California. Maps and information available.

Beginners take: My first lake hike experience. It was a lot of fun. The trail down and back up was mostly rocky, Seems like a different flower every few minutes which was fun. Lake was awesome the stream trickling into it was beautiful. Saw a few other hikers. I choose for the shorter distance and time. As a beginner I thought a few times whoa that’s gnarly. In the end I don’t think it was as bad as it looked.

This hike was beautiful but the scramble down and back up from the lake was way harder than we expected. We were fairly novice to hiking when we did this in August 2017. I feel like we’d handle it a lot better now.

The drive up is very beautiful and very rough, I would recommend a 4x4. The trailhead is not we’re all trails says it is. The trail head is the trail to the right of the road when pulling into the parking area. There is a yellow sign on a tree next to the trail.

warning this trailhead is supposedly close to the peak but we could not find the head. We did follow previous recommendations to not use the gps. Good advice. Getting there, From the sign outside of Weaverville stating 8 miles to trailhead it is one way 90% of the way with few turnouts. There were steep parts throughout and the last 2 miles were rocky, narrow and near steep drop offs. Please head the warnings about needing an 4wd or Awd car with decent ground clearance. We did make it up with fwd car but I WOULD HIGHLY discourage this. We made it to where the trail head is supposed to me but couldn’t find a sign or any trail. The recent fire is likely the culprit. We ended up parking the car about 1/2 mile from the summit where there is a fire lookout.

Sun Jul 07 2019

Nice hike to a small lake, first through shrubs and then some forest, with the descent to the lake in a large clearing and a few views of Monument Peak, together with Weaver Bally the southern-most high peaks of the Trinity Alps. The descent to the lake was rather rocky and we encountered one small snowdrift in early July. Lots of wildflowers raised our rating, but the 8.5 mile narrow gravel (4.5 miles) and dirt (4.0 miles) washboard road, the last 1.5 miles with a sharp drop-off, leading to the trailhead brought it down a notch. Tried to meet up with East Weaver Creek Trail but could not make the connection - the trail I followed dead-ended shortly after a fork (one of which led to a decent hidden primitive camp site, check out our recording waypoints).

Tue Aug 07 2018

Pretty crazy drive up a steep mountain, and even crazier coming down. Make sure to keep your car in low gear or your brakes will start to burn. Also, the AllTrails app isn't super accurate to get to the trailhead here. Google maps doesn't realize the road runs all the way up (it's a pretty bumpy old logging road) so it's hard to navigate it with your phone. Best advice would be to drive into Weaverville and follow the signs for the trailhead from there. Just take Weaver Bally Road all the way up to the top. As for the actual hike, it was pretty nice, but the descent from the ridge to the lake takes longer than it should. Super rocky and some switchbacks. Lake is tiny and not deep, freezes over in winter so the fish can't survive. We fished it for a couple hours and didn't get anything.

Fri Apr 20 2018

Don't try to use the alltrails app to get directions to this trail. It took me to a completely different, sketchy area behind some peoples houses. There was a trail back there but it was not maintained very well. I still got a hike in but it was a lot more strenuous than I was planning.

Fri Dec 08 2017

I did this hike first week of December with my dog. The drive up to the trailhead was almost as beautiful as the actual hike - beautiful views of the Weaverville and surrounding mountains the whole way up to the lookout tower. If you're looking for a beautiful drive (a little under 2 hour drive from Redding - AWD or 4WD recommended but not necessary) and an easy hike to a beautiful alpine lake, then this is it. Easy as far as short in distance, there is still incline both ways to consider. I happened to get caught in a snow storm during the hike, so visibility of the lake wasn't ideal. But the granite ridges, iced over lake and surrounding evergreens along the trail covered in snow was a beautiful scene. I can't wait to go back and hike this again once the snow clears.

Sun Jul 16 2017

July 15 2017 Be prepared to drive on a windy dirt road for 30 minutes to reach the trailhead. You basically drive up the entire mountain and park at the top. I was not very smart and brought my little Hyundai up but couldn't make it all the way. It's a beautiful mountain top. There is a fire lookout to explore on the left and the trail is to the right. Slightly difficult to find trailhead since the sign has been torn down (see picture). Very brief and easy trail to the small "lake". Very narrow with some overgrown parts. The trail according to AllTrails takes you down to the lake but I could not find that section of trail and stayed at the top exploring. Not much to do up there without getting into dangerous situations. If you have four-wheel-drive and are looking for a Great view that you don't even have to hike for this is your trail. I wouldn't do it again simply because of the long dirt road.

Sun Aug 26 2018