East Ridge Trail to West Ridge Trail Loop from Skyline Blvd

East Ridge Trail to West Ridge Trail Loop from Skyline Blvd is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This loop trail explores the beauty of Redwood Regional Park. Connect the West Ridge trail to the East Ridge trail for a nice loop.

Nice 3 hr hike. Only challenging bit is the climb up between ridges.

One of the best loops in the East Bay. Love it.

A good trail. It was pretty trafficked near the beginning and ends, but the middle section was very nice, and more trail-ish than fire road-ish. It was probably busier than normal because it was Easter weekend.

It was tough mountain biking for me. Overall, refreshing. I couldn't ride my bike through the loop.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Long, but relatively easy hike. There is a down and up at the midway point when you cross over. It took me a little over two hours to complete, but I have some long legs.

The "dogs on leash" tag is not accurate as dogs are allowed off leash once you get away from the staging area. You will encounter many dogs off leash on these trails.

In retrospect, I wish I did this on my mountain bike. There is another version of this trail that starts at the redwood gate that I will have to try on my bike. For hiking, French and Stream are much more scenic and interesting.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

We did the ~8 mile loop going out on East Ridge Trail and coming back on West Ridge Trail. It's a nice hike with a little of everything: sun and shade, flats and climbs, horizon and forest views. The descent and climb are right in the middle of the hike when you cross the canyon from East Ridge to West Ridge and the rest of the hike is pretty flat. It's a wide dirt trail with lots of traffic (bikes, dogs, horses) so not the most secluded hike. It's not easy because of the length and climbing section but is pretty accessible in that anyone with a moderate fitness level should be fine.

Friday, September 16, 2016

It's a nice loop trail but there are much better options within Redwood. There are several single tracts up and down the sides that I would combine with one or part of the ridge trail. It also connects with good trails on both ends. I've down Redwood to Chabot and it's sweet to get away from most of the people...

Sunday, July 31, 2016

I don't know why it is called the Westridge Trail Loop. I would call it Eastridge Trail Loop. I actually hiked this loop starting from the East Ridge Trail, continued on to the Prince Trail, then Stream Trail, Tres Sendas Trail and then back to the parking lot for a total distance of 4.2 miles and elevation of 653 ft. It was an easy hike on a Saturday afternoon. I enjoyed it.

Monday, February 17, 2014

I really enjoyed this hike, besides going in and out of the creek area at the South end of this loop, its fairly flat to gently rolling hills, which made for a relatively easy and enjoyable hike.

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Great hike! Took me roughly 3 hours to complete (plus or minus a few detours). I recommend doing the hike early morning or evening time since the shade in certain portions can be minimal and the midday sun can be brutal! The elevation (between 500-1300 ft.) is great for beautiful views over Livermore and Castro Valley. Clear trail markers; 90% dirt trail; scattered rest areas; perfect for beginner-intermediate hikers.