East Indio Hills Badlands

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(572)
Indio, California

East Indio Hills Badlands is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Indio, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 767 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail enters the Indio Hills badlands and traverses the San Andreas Fault exposing twisted and tortured rocks that have been uplifted and moved over millions of years. The trail enters several narrow slot canyons and twists and turns in the sandy washes before climbing up to the ridge with panoramic views of the entire Coachella Valley.

Great trail. Left at 7A and took us an hour and 50 minutes. Lots of sand, cool canyons you walk through that provide some shade. Awesome views at the top.

This is a nice hike through the badlands with nice views when you get to the top of the small climb. There is very little shade so start early and bring plenty of water.

Really fun trail! Really cool rock structures and an amazing view half way through. Definitely not kid friendly because it was a bit strenuous and hot of course.

This is a great hike. Beautiful rock formations. This is easy/moderate hike.

Would recommend you go early morning or sunset, very nice views and good climbs/descends

Nice easy trail, nice views, nice places to take pictures, but carry water with you cuz there's no shade.

Great hiking trail with amazing rock formations in the Badlands. A new development, however! Dune buggies are now tearing up the trail and smashing natural growth. They manage to drive into trails that are seemingly impossible for 4-wheel drive vehicles.

very Nice trail love it

Hiked right after rain. Great hike. Well marked all across.

This was the first time I hiked over one mile and I had a blast. I was able to manage the hike with both my dogs. I found a few spots of shade so that my senior dog could relax. I enjoyed seeing everything this trail had to offer. Enough signage so that you don't get lost.

This was a really nice trail, but if you’re looking at doing this then you definitely should prepare well because the heat is no joke. My group was unable to complete this because we weren’t well hydrated enough, so be sure to drink a lot of water the day before or you won’t be happy.

Holy hell! Please come hydrated because this is no stroll through the park. Heat here is no joke and with no shade and a few good inclines our group had to turn back as they were novice hikers not acclimated to the harsh desert climate. Otherwise very beautiful rock formations and slot canyons with views for miles.

Awesome trail! Make sure to bring plenty of water. I’ll be back to this one

My husband and I did this hike today and loved it! We don’t hike a lot, so take this into consideration if you’re reading this. We do however work out regularly. The views are amazing and it gets your heart rate up and feels like a good workout while also not feeling too intimidating if you aren’t used to more adventurous hikes. My only comment is that I feel this hike should be considered a bit more on the harder side. I wouldn’t take kids or seniors on the loop unless they are seasoned hikers and have poles and proper hiking footwear. There are a lot of slippery areas. I should disclose that my husband and I weren’t the most well equipped with hiking shoes or poles. However, we were able to complete the hike and didn’t feel like we were in any sort of danger. It would not have been fun if one of us had fallen, however. I also want to mention that there are parts of the hike that are narrow and steep which I didn’t read about when I was preparing. There is also some stretches where you are walking on sand. We highly recommend this hike and will probably be there again soon. See you on the trails!

Great trail for family hiking. Slot canyons and a nice view.

Beautiful trail. Had everything we wanted in a hike.

This trail takes you to through the depths of the canyon to hiking on the ridge on the tops of a mountain. The view are stunning. We did this hike in 2 hrs