Bridge to Nowhere via East Fork Trail

Bridge to Nowhere via East Fork Trail is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rails trails

bridge out

historic site

This trip takes you along the banks of the east fork of the San Gabriel River. While the river banks are wooded and quite lovely, most of the trail traverses the rim above the high water line and most of your travel is through scrub brush. The highlight of the hike is a mysterious bridge built over the east fork in 1936, which has no road leading to it. Actually, in the 1930's a road did lead to it, but was swept away by floods in 1938. There are some small trails that lead down to the stream just after you cross the bridge. This is a stunning setting with shear pink tinted granite walls, roaring cascades, and the lovely bridge in the background. Route can be a bit challenging with many day use trails mixed in with the main trail, washed out sections of trail, and over a half dozen stream crossings (bring waterproof boots even when the water is low). There are many swimming holes. The trail along the East Fork of the San Gabriel River to the Bridge to Nowhere is not only one of the best trails in the San Gabriel Mountains, but it's also one of the most unique hiking experiences you'll ever have. After you leave the crowded (and overused) trailhead area, you will increasingly find yourself awed by the rugged canyons deep in the Sheep Mountain Wilderness. Multiple river crossings and shaded glens await you on this trek, with the final destination a 130-foot concrete span bridge leftover from an attempt to build a road north through the canyon. Most of the road is gone now, but the bridge still stands - and is full of bungee jumpers on the weekends. A short trail down from the bridge leads to some top-notch swimming holes, making this a perfect hike on a hot, summer day. Plan on getting your feet wet and bring bug repellent.

The trail was easy to lose for minor sections, but also easy to find again. As a rule of thumb, on your way out to the bridge stay to the right of the river as much as you can if you want to stay dry. There are some sections that you can climb over rather than cross if you don't want to get wet. I managed to get all the way back from the bridge dry, but the same cannot be said for the way there. I believe I had to cross the river just 4 or 5 times on the way back once I tried staying on the right side of it.

bridge out

Ingrid and I nice

make sure you take walkie talkies for communication we went in a group of 8 and it was fun but we did uncountered a rattlesnake on our way back

Tried to do the Devil's gulch waterfall hike which splits off somewhere on this trail, but I missed the split and ended up walking to the bridge to nowhere. I'd say it's not for kids or elderly. There are a lot of river crossings and rock climbing/scramble sections. I enjoyed those difficult bits quite a bit. If you can jump far from rock to rock in the river then you can avoid having to get wet crossing the river, I stayed dry but most everyone else I saw had to get in the stream to cross... So.. what I'm saying is that it is completely possible to stay dry on this hike, but maybe plan on getting wet. The journey to the bridge is fun and has nice scenery and is shaded at times, but once you are at the bridge it's nothing special. There are some small rapids if you cross the bridge and climb down (I really wish I could have found that waterfall instead haha). I drank all my 2.5 liters of water so be sure to bring more than that. Next time I'll bring my water purifier pump. Also the average time for this hike (based on peoples hikes on this app) looks like 5 to 6.5 hours. I did it in just under 4 hours, and I stopped to rest at the end too. So if you are a faster hiker like me then plan on around the 4hr mark, not 5 or 6.... My review sounds like I'm bragging or being pompous or something hahhaa, but my entire purpose of it is to basically tell you that if you are no stranger to hiking then dont listen to these other reviews claiming how dangerous and long it is and how wet you will get.

This is a fun hike to do that has a mixture of all kinds of things. Before you come here, make sure you have a parking pass/permit to park in the lot. They are 5.00 a day or 30.00 for the year. I went on a weekday to avoid the crowds and went very early to not have to worry about the heat. Before I start with the review: you will get WET. Make sure you wear water sandals or hiking shoes or hiking boots that can handle water. Do not wear normal socks as they will make your feet uncomfortable. Bring an extra pair of socks if you want. I wore water sandals the whole way and it felt so great and easy to do this hike. Please make sure you put sunscreen on you to protect yourself and that you have enough water as well as food to keep yourself going. You will be going over so many rocks of various of sizes. Early on they are mostly shallow and small rocks and as you gradually go on you will see deeper parts of river. You will have to cross over a few times. I just loved being in the water so feel free to take a dip in the river, so much fun and the peaceful noise of the river flowing. You will be in shaded and not shaded areas. You will have to climb over rocks of various sizes. Once you get past the river area which will take you towards the bridge of nowhere once you into Sheep Mountain (you will pass a small bridge) it’s pretty much unshaded here and make sure you are hydrated and drinking water. Once you arrive to the bridge, don’t just stop. Go down to the river, eat some healthy snacks, get yourself in the water, rest up for the hike back. I went around to explore the water for fun as an extra. Some places you will be away from the river. Some places you will be trailing next to the river and some places you have to cross the river a few times due to large rocks or ridge. Have fun and enjoy your hike!

Bungee jump