East Canyon and Rice Canyon Trail

East Canyon and Rice Canyon Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newhall, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,420 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Wow these trails are so pretty. The Rice Canyon trail is a easy hike with creek crossings. It feels like your in a enchanted forest. Now East Canyon is your incline trail. However it’s really gradual and as you get further up the trail it becomes more of a forest setting. Rice Canyon is a single trail that is easy that follows a creek and plenty of wildflowers and trees. East Canyon is a gradual incline in a fire road with fur pine trees and Mountain View’s...

Good hike :)

well this was an okay hike at best not much to see the creek was pretty much dried up which caused a lot of bugs to show up we tried both branches East Canyon Trail and Rice Canyon Trail and they're pretty similar we did see a couple of deer however

An excellent day hike. Went east cyn to Mission Peak. 10 miles and change round trip. East cyn is a beautiful hike. Easy constant elevation gain. It is over grown in spots but easy to follow. Weldon Motorway while east cyn tirs into is a cleared fire road. Easy to follow. Worth the effort. Watch for snakes. Saw a big one sunning on the path. Enjoy!

Rice Canyon Trail Review; *****snow was the closest thing I could find for sand**** Very nice trail, although the weeds are starting to overgrow the trail at about 1.3 miles, like I mean nearly BUSHWHACKING right before the summit. The paid parking was nearly full on this past Saturday Morning, but Rice Canyon only had about 3 hikers. East canyon was kinda busy (only went to the meadow at about 1.4 miles) There is street parking, which is were I parked! 5$ saved for a burger at in-n-out! When we forked into Rice Canyon the trail was slightly overgrown, but once we made it into the canyon stuff changed. When we entered the canyon, there was a deer drinking from the brook, so cute! We heard birds chirping, even heard an owl, even though it was already 8 a.m The brook was flowing nicely, with stones laid out for easy crossing, although I could see the water level was like 6 feet high, I am 5’6 So this probably was pretty dangerous during the rainy season. Then we went into another meadow, with rabbits and gophers running around. We passed by a nice rope swing, probably about a month ago the bottom was submerged (it was like a few inches from the water. That area had a ton of mosquitoes, due to this pond that formed by a fallen branch, essentially damming the brook off. Then we went into another stream crossing, this time we used a little branch to cross over. About 100 yards away was another stream crossing, but there was a bee hive in one of the rocks, and best of all, FROGS!, there were so many frogs, that we were sitting there. Despite the bees there were a couple other hikers dipping their feet in the ice cold stream. Then we continued on, passing multiple small side paths that the family enjoyed, one of them went up a small side canyon for about 1/4 of a mile, ending at what would be a 10 foot waterfall in the wet months. This is where it was sandy. Next we went parallel to the stream and enjoyed some flowing water sounds! Then the trail went though a fallen tree, that when looked at the right angle, looks like a perfect heart. We found some of the main trail to be washed out, ending up in a poison Oak field. And then we started going through meadows, before climbing about 450 feet according to my Apple Watch. East canyon was a dirt road to the top, BORING compared to Rice Canyon.

Overall it's a lovely trail with lots of shade and scenery. However, the trail to Rice Canyon has a lot of poison oak--bushes of it--so please be cautious. I wouldn't advise taking dogs through it either since you can't control them touching it by accident, unless you carry them and are extremely diligent and aware of where you step. Hopefully the forestry will cut it back. I do not know the current state of poison oak on the East Canyon trail. Lots of Creek crossings. Water has not dried out yet, but running a little low. It was a lovely hike despite the poison oak. I used Dr. Bronner's peppermint Castile soap to wash when I got home and didn't get any rashes.

is so beautiful there's a lot of wild flowers everywhere ❤❤

tall grass kind of blocking the narrow trail. but crossings of creeks are fun.

Lots of water in the stream! Very green but few wildflowers.

Took this trail to Weldon Canyon. Everything is sooo GREEN and BEAUTIFUL. Easy hike, wide trails and lots of shade.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Great hike up to the white gate. We ran into hikers who had just seen two mountain lions and he showed us a video he took. Luckily we didn’t see them ourselves. Great view from the top.

Thu Dec 27 2018

We hiked the trail up to Mission Peak and down to the bottom of the peak using a car shuttle. Wonderful terrain throughout.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Beautiful in all aspects, views and flowers abound, the only “dent” is the shooting noises from the near by range, my first time there today, Sunday, took me by surprise... you hear the shots most of the hike as the sound bounces off the mountains... it steals the purpose of a nature hike...

Mon Apr 02 2018

Excellent hike as plenty of shade and water/greenery to add to the beauty. I added rice canyon to it which was very nice, but it's easy to see in a month or two the poison oak will be over grown everywhere in the rice canyon section. I did accidentally step on a rattler and lucky avoided getting bit on rice portion. The gun club is a bit noisy but I don't mind. Weather is perfect this time of year to enjoy these trails.

Wed Feb 07 2018

Both are well shaded, particularly Rice Canyon. The hike up to the top of East Canyon being my favorite. You can go further and even down past Three Trees into the valley and back. There's an open air gun range near the bottom and the sound really cuts through the canyons so you may want to time your hike with their hours. Note that once at the top you can't explore much as most of the hills are closed off by Aliso Canyon Natural Gas Storage Facility.

Tue Jan 16 2018

Great hike for our family with one HUGE exception- TICKS! Great terrain with lots of trees, shade and water crossings. Trail is well warned path. Once you start going up hill the brush is closer to the path. That's when we noticed ticks on our white dog. Lots of ticks on both dogs and both myself and my husband had one on us. NO, we did not go off the trail, we did our best to avoid the the brush. And the dogs had flea & tick monthly meds. Not likely to return- definitely not with the dogs.

Wed Jul 19 2017

great place to Hike.. beautiful Oaks trees and wild flowers especially in Spring also some butterflies ❤❤

Tue Apr 25 2017

great waterfall :) loved the hike, was easy for me