East Canyon and Rice Canyon Trail

East Canyon and Rice Canyon Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newhall, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rice/East Canyons is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Newhall, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Great hike for our family with one HUGE exception- TICKS! Great terrain with lots of trees, shade and water crossings. Trail is well warned path. Once you start going up hill the brush is closer to the path. That's when we noticed ticks on our white dog. Lots of ticks on both dogs and both myself and my husband had one on us. NO, we did not go off the trail, we did our best to avoid the the brush. And the dogs had flea & tick monthly meds. Not likely to return- definitely not with the dogs.

great place to Hike.. beautiful Oaks trees and wild flowers especially in Spring also some butterflies ❤❤

great waterfall :) loved the hike, was easy for me

Gorgeous!

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

This is a great trail without the crowds. I took East Canyon to the top where it merges with the Weldon Canyon trail. 2.7 miles. Go .4 miles further to where the trail is fenced off. Here there is a sign for the Mission Point Trail. It's another 1.5 miles to Mission Point, on mostly level terrain. It adds 3 miles RT, but it's an easy 3 miles. I highly recommend taking this all the way to Mission Point, as it's more challenging the hiking up from O Melvany park, and the views are incredible.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I've been running up East Canyon for about a year. Trails are maintained regularly. Haven't had any issues with ticks or rattlers. Shaded for a good part of the hike. Lots of trees, bushes, and flowers. What I love the most about this trail are the views from the top. You can see the SCV and the SFV. On clear days, you can even see down town Los Angeles. Not many people know about this trail it seems, because chances are that you'll maybe encounter one or two people on most days. Beats the overcrowded trail at Towsley Canyon, in my opinion.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Not one I enjoyed much

Sunday, January 03, 2016

The views were incredible!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

This is my favorite place to take my Dog for a walk. There are very few hikers on Monday and Tuesday and the gun range is closed so it is nice and Quite. There is a nice stream that runs most of the year except in the summer so there is a nice soothing sound for most of the hike. A little bit of scrambling to be had at the end if you want to reach the top of the canyon.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ticks! Ticks! Ticks! While I enjoyed the trail, the experience was ruined as I spent the rest of the day removing ticks. I found more than a dozen ticks crawling all over me as I drove home. If you're determined to hike this trail, spray on the DEET. Probably explains the lack of crowds.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Nice hike. We do it midweek after work. Takes 2 to 3 hours in and out. Trail could use some work.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Hiked East Canyon after work today. I've hiked here many times but this was my first time in the afternoon. Very nic,e lots of shade. It was 93 degrees here in Santa Clarita today but the trail was nice and cool. The gun range must have been closed because we did not hear shooting the whole time. It really made the hike much more enjoyable than usual. The trail is pretty torn up and rutted from this winter's rains. We saw a deer and a couple snakes.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

I've hiked both Rice and East Canyons, but for my money, it's Rice Canyon. The hike takes you through a wide variety of terrains and environments, from dusty meadows to dark glades, all while crisscrossing a seasonal creek that seems to anchor you and define your path forward. There are massive oak trees, buckwheat, all manner of wildflowers and ground cover. Rocks to rival Plymouth itself. And most of all, peace. And quiet, but for the accompanying birds. In summer, a few buzzing insects, but not like hikes back east! I've looked online for a map of the trail, but no luck. I might try to put one together next trip and post it here. But the joy of Rice is in the discovery -- around every corner something new to see. And some new emotion bubbles out of you. And at the end of the hike, the latter portion almost straight up, you emerge on a crest next to a fallen oak. But with a view of the end of the box canyon that is primeval, with towering Christmas-like pines, so unheard of in southern California. Believe me, you'll walk down from Rice, and get in your car and go home, eat dinner, watch tv, etc. But your soul will still be in Rice Canyon. Until you go back and retrieve it. You will go back.