East Canyon and Rice Canyon Trail

East Canyon and Rice Canyon Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newhall, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rice/East Canyons is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Newhall, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

great waterfall :) loved the hike, was easy for me

Gorgeous!

This is a great trail without the crowds. I took East Canyon to the top where it merges with the Weldon Canyon trail. 2.7 miles. Go .4 miles further to where the trail is fenced off. Here there is a sign for the Mission Point Trail. It's another 1.5 miles to Mission Point, on mostly level terrain. It adds 3 miles RT, but it's an easy 3 miles. I highly recommend taking this all the way to Mission Point, as it's more challenging the hiking up from O Melvany park, and the views are incredible.

I've been running up East Canyon for about a year. Trails are maintained regularly. Haven't had any issues with ticks or rattlers. Shaded for a good part of the hike. Lots of trees, bushes, and flowers. What I love the most about this trail are the views from the top. You can see the SCV and the SFV. On clear days, you can even see down town Los Angeles. Not many people know about this trail it seems, because chances are that you'll maybe encounter one or two people on most days. Beats the overcrowded trail at Towsley Canyon, in my opinion.

Not one I enjoyed much

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Sunday, January 03, 2016

The views were incredible!

Sunday, March 08, 2015

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

This is my favorite place to take my Dog for a walk. There are very few hikers on Monday and Tuesday and the gun range is closed so it is nice and Quite. There is a nice stream that runs most of the year except in the summer so there is a nice soothing sound for most of the hike. A little bit of scrambling to be had at the end if you want to reach the top of the canyon.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ticks! Ticks! Ticks! While I enjoyed the trail, the experience was ruined as I spent the rest of the day removing ticks. I found more than a dozen ticks crawling all over me as I drove home. If you're determined to hike this trail, spray on the DEET. Probably explains the lack of crowds.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Nice hike. We do it midweek after work. Takes 2 to 3 hours in and out. Trail could use some work.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Hiked East Canyon after work today. I've hiked here many times but this was my first time in the afternoon. Very nic,e lots of shade. It was 93 degrees here in Santa Clarita today but the trail was nice and cool. The gun range must have been closed because we did not hear shooting the whole time. It really made the hike much more enjoyable than usual. The trail is pretty torn up and rutted from this winter's rains. We saw a deer and a couple snakes.